Group of winelovers

F

Fulano2

Do you like it? The ladies (wife and their sisters and Jay ) like the white.

W

william webster

Don't see it much any more....

Actually, I mix the Carlo Rossi red & Rose.....sangria type....

B

Big

Caymus Cabernet and Duckhorn Merlot both available at Janets. Both Napa both super delicious

M

malko

National supermarket in santiago ( the one right next door to the " guacalito," (?) ) sells the best rosé wine--- hands down---- Chateau Minuty, but sadly at a very steep price ( at least to me, when i compare it to back in francre ), something like 1300 pesos per bottle.

F

Fulano2

Prices in the DR are ridiculous. Right now I am drinking a PLAN DE DIEU, domaine les Ondines, 2010, cotes du Rhône villages, which only cost me €8,99.
I have to finish it as my wife is not here, not complaining.

B

bob saunders

Prices in the DR are ridiculous. Right now I am drinking a PLAN DE DIEU, domaine les Ondines, 2010, cotes du Rhône villages, which only cost me €8,99.
I have to finish it as my wife is not here, not complaining.

Correct me if I am wrong, you are from Belgium and thus wine from France doesn't have to be shipped far, and it has a lot of competition, thus the cheap price.

T

Tamborista

Let's not forget our long lost sommelier from Pata de Gallina, RD, Brian Wales.

F

Fulano2

Correct me if I am wrong, you are from Belgium and thus wine from France doesn't have to be shipped far, and it has a lot of competition, thus the cheap price.
Hi Bob, Well I am dutch but do live in Belgium. If transportation would be the issue, why is wine from Chile cheaper here than in the DR?

C

Caonabo

Hi Bob, Well I am dutch but do live in Belgium. If transportation would be the issue, why is wine from Chile cheaper here than in the DR?

1. Trade agreements.
2. Products steered towards a tourist/foreign sector are normally more expensive than those same products steered towards a general population.

T

the gorgon

1. Trade agreements.
2. Products steered towards a tourist/foreign sector are normally more expensive than those same products steered towards a general population.

you ruined the fun...

B

bob saunders

Also if Chile wants to compete in a market reasonably saturated , like the European wine market, they have to take less profit and sell volume. In the DR they have far less competition.

F

Fulano2

Might be Bob. On the other hand, why does a bottle of Tio Pepe, dry sherry cost a 1000-1200 pesos in the DR and here just 9 €, while taxes in Europe, at least in our countries are extremely high.

B

bob saunders

Might be Bob. On the other hand, why does a bottle of Tio Pepe, dry sherry cost a 1000-1200 pesos in the DR and here just 9 €, while taxes in Europe, at least in our countries are extremely high.

Transport, import duties and greed. I like my tawney port myself.

N

NALs

Also if Chile wants to compete in a market reasonably saturated , like the European wine market, they have to take less profit and sell volume. In the DR they have far less competition.
You will find wines from Chile everywhere wine is sold in the DR, even in chains like La Sirena or Supermercado Nacional. Places that specialized in wine from around the world I have only seen in Santo Domingo, but there might be other place(s) in Santiago and maybe other places. Even in these wine stores you can also buy rum, vodka, etc; but they focus around 10% (maybe less) of their stores to other liquors. It seems to me that in terms of volume its wine from Chile sells the most. They even offer them in various resorts too.

Several wines are advertised in a few Dominican magazines. It still is seen as a upper middle class and up Dominican product and as such, it is a social class marker, even the relatively cheap brands that is imported from Chile.

I remember there is an interview where the ex-president Hipólito Mejía says that he doesn’t drink wine because he is a simple guy from the countryside. LOL

Last edited:
W

william webster

Transport, import duties and greed. I like my tawney port myself.

Volume counts....

the 2 largest buyers of alcohol in the world are Pennsylvania and the province of Ontario

Ontario likes to claim the prize.... but they include beer in their count

DR will pale in comparison to many global buyers... hence a higher price