Guayaberas

May 29, 2006
They don't look very comfortable and anything rayon is a deal-breaker for me. I can see getting something in linen, but I'd want to try it out first for the fit. Maybe some kind of high end fishing shirts for the DR, like Orvis?

1P32FH3white.jpg

Men's Havana Shirts / Havana Shirt -- Orvis

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i f**king hate this s**t as much as i hate habichuelas con dulce. this is god damn funeral wear, only suitable for a stiff in his coffin. i absolutely forbid miesposo to ever use this. he had one when i arrived in DR, i threw it away. ugly and nasty.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
i f**king hate this s**t as much as i hate habichuelas con dulce. this is god damn funeral wear, only suitable for a stiff in his coffin. i absolutely forbid miesposo to ever use this. he had one when i arrived in DR, i threw it away. ugly and nasty.

Most of what you see in the DR is very sad and poor quality. Buy a decent quality fashionable/modern one from a well known designer, you might actually like it. I listed 1 of the top 3 designers on the planet in an earlier post.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Most of what you see in the DR is very sad and poor quality. Buy a decent quality fashionable/modern one from a well known designer, you might actually like it. I listed 1 of the top 3 designers on the planet in an earlier post.

I remember someone here on DR1 posting pics of some really nice ones he had made - north coast member, maybe DavidZ or JDSauser?

Ben

Feb 2, 2004
I own several, both short and long sleeve. All the pockets are great for holding cigars, eyeglasses, etc.

May 12, 2005
Anyone know of high quality guayabera tailors in Santiago?

There is a place on Bartolo Colome about 1 block from the Pola on the same side. They had a very good selection of high quality chacabanas. I just can't remember the name. It's almost across the street from the big fabric place.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
....I saw a similar shirt from the Philippines made from pineapple fiber. Never found my size.

They are called barongs, and they are super cool, especially with those lacey holes on the chest.
They also are acceptable as formal wear alongside tuxedos and gowns.
Same used to be said of classy chacabanas.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
To be considered,"Formal Wear" they MUST have Long Sleeves, linen,or silk,preferably with "French Cuffs".
"Taylor Made" is the ONLY choice!
Especially for me,38 inch sleeves!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
They don't look very comfortable and anything rayon is a deal-breaker for me. I can see getting something in linen, but I'd want to try it out first for the fit. Maybe some kind of high end fishing shirts for the DR, like Orvis?

1P32FH3white.jpg

Men's Havana Shirts / Havana Shirt -- Orvis

Try a Tommy Bahama's 100% linen. Not as formal as a true guayabera, but nicer then a fishing shirt. Just stay away from the loud ones. You don't want to be mistaken for a tourist.

2425648-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg