Ha! I got shafted!

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Because I am not any much good at it. I don't know how to handle torrents, I'd have a hard time telling "good" sites apart from sites which will just install garbage on my computer.
I'd need help.

... J-D.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I'm very surprised that an activation code was not included in the sealed boxes.
Sounds like a deliberate ploy by Rosette Stone, one to punish an unsuspecting purchaser.

Actually it's a ploy by Rosetta Stone to protect their copyright... it has nothing to do with punishment.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
In the final analysis, it all comes down to the famous words of wisdom.... "If it sounds too good to be true, IT IS." (too good to be true).

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Why don't you just go online and download the activation code from a torrent site.
Google

Are the activation codes all the same, being downloaded from torrent.....
Or is there a different code for each individual program Rosetta Stone sells.....

B in Santiago

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Are the activation codes all the same, being downloaded from torrent.....
Or is there a different code for each individual program Rosetta Stone sells.....

B in Santiago
Yes and no. There are varying work-arounds, depending on how the software works. Some just fool the software into thinking it's an accurate code.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
JD, we're flying back on April 11th - is that too late? We plan to be up your way later this week at Whirleybird's house.

PM me if we can help.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Live in Cabarete and flying out of POP on Mar 19th......can just drop in the USMail, right?
PM me.....

Thanks to ALL who responded!
As suggested, I contacted e-bay several times during these days, which finally escalated in them asking me to call them (which is a somewhat complicated procedures by now, since you need to make their site generate a phone number and a pin code which expires within 15 minutes). I explained my geographic situation and for the first 30 minutes with two agents, it seemed I would have no chance as my time limit to ship would expire on March 19th. FINALLY, they found, that MAYBE it was even illegal to ship the item back to the "seller" as the items was not to be resold in any way. So, I got asked to destroy the set and to sign a sworn statement to that effect and I am to fax it out and case solved on ONE of the two boxes (the second one was bought directly from the seller -NOT thru e-bay, and I have a case pending with PayPal for that one). Anyways, so far it seems I will at last get my money back on at least one of the sets.
To e-bay's credit I may also add that it would seem that for the time being, it may be e-bay's own Buyer Protection Program which is picking up the tab on this one. The seller seem unresponsive and I would not be surprised that he took great care in making sure to retrieve any funds left on his PayPal account as they'd come in.

Anyways, we'll stick it to Pichardo NEXT time, of course only IF his party makes it into the presidential palace in May! ;) ... jest kiddin'

I would also like to mention that I have gotten phone calls from several friends from on here offering to serve as "mules" but for dates that were to far out. But thanks... it's great to know, that this IS a community one can count on, even for stupid little issues like this one.
I have also received several PM's and I will answer these now but want to thank for them here too.

So, the "Palomo" (btw. I knew no insult was meant and answered the "pigeon"-comment humorously) is back flying hoping to regain Eagle status soon!

Thanks! ... J-D.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
I think you should THINK INSIDE THE BOX!

Let's turn this around. Imagine you are a software developer. You work your ass off on a software program that you resell through authorized resellers. Someone sends you an email telling you they bought the software from an unauthorized source on eBay and are demanding an activation code. You have no idea what the true origin of the software is. Are you just going to give away a license? You didn't receive a dime in this transaction! I suspect you've never been in business for yourself. What happens when 100 people send you emails asking for activation codes?

Rosetta Stone has no obligation (and I would find them foolish) to give an activation code to someone who presumably has an authorized copy of their software.

I understand your thinking IF the sets I bought were bootlegs. But they aren't and RosettaStone even ID'ed the serial numbers.
In other words, these are legit sets.
For someone to have sold these to me, that person or the person who made them available to that seller,... SOMEBODY, ACQUIRED them from the manufacturer, unless they "fell of the truck or loading ramp somewhere".
Yet, RosettaStone, upon my ASKING could/would NOT make a statement that these were missing (stolen) copies (YES, they have individual serial numbers!).

In other words, RosettaStone, sometime GOT paid or they'd still be in THEIR inventory... but somehow they got here to this beautiful island.

So, back to thinking OUTside of the Box? Well, one has been destructed as per e-bay's instructions. One to go.

... J-D.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I understand your thinking IF the sets I bought were bootlegs. But they aren't and RosettaStone even ID'ed the serial numbers.
In other words, these are legit sets.

... J-D.
They were repackaged to look new.