Hablar español - The World's Second Mother Tongue

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This was published in today's Listín Diario website edition.

Spanish is the Second Mother Tongue in the World

Around 600 million people, between students and people fluent in the language, potential speakers of Spanish.

By 2060 the USA will be the second country in the world where Spanish is spoken the most.*

Spanish is now the second largest mother tongue in the workd with 500 million people, close to 6.2% of the world's population, an increase that "gives motive to feel pride" due that it isn't dependent only on demographic growth; according to the Instituto Cervantes.

* While the USA is traditionally an English-speaking country, that is the language used by most people and the unofficial officil languge of the US government; Spanish has been spoken in a large swathe of the USA since before they became part of the USA, such as the Southwest. Not only are states in these areas that were once part of the Spanish Empire and then a part belong to Mexico have names in Spanish, but if you visit California it seems almost everything has a Spanish name from all its main cities to valleys, mountain ranges, even the main tectonic faultlibe is the "San Andrea." Nothing like leaving LAX for the first time an notice most of the signs to the hotel. lol Whenever a place name starts with "San," that's referring to a saint in the Catholic church, which was the only church of Spain during the Spanish Empire. So, the notion that Spanish is a recent language in the USA is incorrect. It might be recent in sttes like New York, New Jersey or Ohio, but not in Texas or even Florida.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
This was published in today's Listín Diario website edition.

Around 600 million people, between students and people fluent in the language, potential speakers of Spanish.

By 2060 the USA will be the second country in the world where Spanish is spoken the most.*

* While the USA is traditionally an English-speaking country, that is the language used by most people and the unofficial officil languge of the US government; Spanish has been spoken in a large swathe of the USA since before they became part of the USA, such as the Southwest. Not only are states in these areas that were once part of the Spanish Empire and then a part belong to Mexico have names in Spanish, but if you visit California it seems almost everything has a Spanish name from all its main cities to valleys, mountain ranges, even the main tectonic faultlibe is the "San Andrea." Nothing like leaving LAX for the first time an notice most of the signs to the hotel. lol Whenever a place name starts with "San," that's referring to a saint in the Catholic church, which was the only church of Spain during the Spanish Empire. So, the notion that Spanish is a recent language in the USA is incorrect. It might be recent in sttes like New York, New Jersey or Ohio, but not in Texas or even Florida.
I would include Arizona and New Mexico in states that have had a very large Spanish language influence. I lived in Arizona for about 7 years and heard tons of Spanish.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I would include Arizona and New Mexico in states that have had a very large Spanish language influence. I lived in Arizona for about 7 years and heard tons of Spanish.
I would disagree, I would say Mandarin at 1.118 BN. That would put English first at approx 1.35 BN and Mandarin second at 1.118 BN

A quick Google tells us the following:
  • English (1,452 million speakers)
  • Mandarin (1,118 million speakers)
  • Hindi (602+ million speakers)
  • Spanish (548+ million speakers)
  • French (280 million speakers)
  • Modern Standard Arabic (274 million speakers)
  • Russian (258+ million speakers)
  • Portuguese (257+ million speakers)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I would disagree, I would say Mandarin at 1.118 BN. That would put English first at approx 1.35 BN and Mandarin second at 1.118 BN

He is speaking about Arizona, not the world.

Plus, those figures are of native speakers and those for whom English is a second language. For the second one's they only speak English in specific setting, otherwise they speak their mother tongue. In the USA, those are the ones that have to take ESL and basically includes everyone that starts school in bilingual rather than mainstream English only courses. Native English speakers is nowhere near to the amount of native Spanish speakers.

In the Western Hemisphere, probably there are more people as native Spanish than any other language.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
He is speaking about Arizona, not the world.

Plus, those figures are of native speakers and those for whom English is a second language. For the second one's they only speak English in specific setting, otherwise they speak their mother tongue. In the USA, those are the ones that have to take ESL and basically includes everyone that starts school in bilingual rather than mainstream English only courses. Native English speakers is nowhere near to the amount of native Spanish speakers.

In the Western Hemisphere, probably there are more people as native Spanish than any other language.
sometimes you just need to be an economist by profession I guess

Maybe the title threw me off

Reactions: NY-DR Commuter

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Thanks for pointing out the gross error of the title.
Fourth ain't bad but it certainly isn't second.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Thanks for pointing out the gross error of the title.
Fourth ain't bad but it certainly isn't second.
I would say having Spanish as a second language has been very helpful to me going way back to my NJ/NY years. An IT friend of mine at PwC told me years ago to study Mandarin - that would have been a good investment

Reactions: JD Jones

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I would say having Spanish as a second language has been very helpful to me going way back to my NJ/NY years. An IT friend of mine at PwC told me years ago to study Mandarin - that would have been a good investment
My elementary school started us off with French classes. Which I continued through high school and college.
I was even dreaming in French back then.

Only one time did French ever come in handy in Paris on a business trip and I had largely forgotten what I had learned.
Would that it had been Spanish from the start. Far harder to learn a language when I started to learn Spanish. I will never get the tenses.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
My elementary school started us off with French classes. Which I continued through high school and college.
I was even dreaming in French back then.

Only one time did French ever come in handy in Paris on a business trip and I had largely forgotten what I had learned.
Would that it had been Spanish from the start. Far harder to learn a language when I started to learn Spanish. I will never get the tenses.
I'm certain if you can play the piano, you can learn a few tenses

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I've been telling young folks they should learn Mandarin for years.

50 years ago, My professional career here took off like a rocket, only due to being able to communicate ever so slightly in Spanish, thanks to a girlfriend who was always teaching me bit by bit.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I've been telling young folks they should learn Mandarin for years.

50 years ago, My professional career here took off like a rocket, only due to being able to communicate ever so slightly in Spanish, thanks to a girlfriend who was always teaching me bit by bit.
That's funny, my professional career here crashed like the space shuttle

FGUnsworth1

Oct 18, 2003

Agreed.
Spanish is the second most spoken native language globally, with almost 500 million speakers. Only Mandarin Chinese dominates Spanish with over 1.2 billion Mandarin Chinese speakers.

Father Guido

Jul 24, 2022
SDQ
You want to do land a plane at any airport in the world, you want to bring a ship into any harbor in the world, you want to make a major financial transaction anywhere in the world, it won't be in Espanol, or mandarin, or Cantonese, guess what language

• Love

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
You want to do land a plane at any airport in the world, you want to bring a ship into any harbor in the world, you want to make a major financial transaction anywhere in the world, it won't be in Espanol, or mandarin, or Cantonese, guess what language
Father, I think the whole world realizes this

Reactions: Big

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
There was a time when French had a similar position. Why doesn't time simply stop? Nowadays there is something bothering many French people.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
My data base is unfortunately cluttered with a useless language, Afrikaans.

• Haha
Reactions: Unit5