Hand Guns ? Help Needed!

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Small ??

can you recommend a small (or the smallest) handgun to carry on?

Again I recommend the Glock model #19 is is 20 oz. 6.75 long 4.92 high 15 rounds 9MM and has a 4inch barrel....You can hide this puppy in a leg holster

Don't waste your money on a sissy .25 cal ...If you want a six shooter look at the S+W Snub nose...I was just looking around in this store recently..They are probably the largest in the DR..

Armas de Fuego
Av 25 de Febrero
809-221-9042-9045

They are right across the street from the Caribe Tours Terminal...You can't miss it.................................

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Get the Glock 26. It is known as the ?Baby Glock?. A little smaller than the 19.

Also, in case you did not know, any Glock clip will fit in any size lock. You can put a 31 shot clip in the Glock 26 if you want max protection in your home. Not very good for carrying though. For carrying the 10 clip makes it easily cancelable.

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Model 26

Sky, I forgot all about that one....Yes that is also ok..I did not know however they made a 31 round mag for it..I know of only the 30 round mag for the 40.cal model 22 and the 9mm model 17+19...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Sky, I forgot all about that one....Yes that is also ok..I did not know however they made a 31 round mag for it..I know of only the 30 round mag for the 40.cal model 22 and the 9mm model 17+19...

Zak,

Again, you can use any Glock Clip for any 9 mm model Glock. They all fit. I have a 26, I use several different size clips depending on my needs.

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Thank you, all! More questions from the OP

Thank you all for contributing so generously to my fire arms education. I'm appreciative; some questions raised by these very responsive posts:

1. Is a "scatter gun" another name for a sawed off shotgun?
2. Several have said that it's illegal to import ammnuntion; I assume that this means it's illegal for an American, for example, to bring 100 rounds of ammo in his suitcase. If the luggage is not searched at the DR airport - which in my experience, in POP & STI, it usually is not - in practice does the ammo enter the country undeteced? Am I missing something? Important? Penalties?
3. High prices? Will DR-CAFTA reduce the prices of guns made in the USA? Other countries? When?
4. Practice ranges? Any available in the DR? Where?
5. Sawed off shotguns. Seemingly ideal for in home use; is it legal to carry 1? On my person? In a vehicle? It seems that every guard for a $50.00 colmado or small store carries a sawed off shotgun. Legal for guards? Can foreigners become "guards" licensed to carry. Realistic to think of carrying a sawed off shotgun? Or, simply too big & bulky.
6. Best to take a gun ownership course in the USA, then buy here?

Again, my sincere thanks for the numerous, informative, & positive responses. I owe all you guys a beer! Assuming that you're all males?

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
A scatter gun is an old term for shotgun, hence the scattering of pellets or rock salt. A sawed-off, is designed for concealment and spray value. If you want a good shotgun look for one that has the shortest manufactured barrel like apprx. 16in and preferrably with an interchangable stock, i.e. hand grip.

Better yet, if you can get your hands on this shotgun, a burglar wouldn't even walk on your lawn.
http://www.planetvids.com/html/Automatic-Shotgun.html

Last edited:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There is a gun range in Santiago near Camp David. They also sell ammo there.

As far as gun prices, they will only get higher. This administration does not like the idea of so many gun permits that have been issued previously.

If you have no experience with handguns get a revolver and practice with it. A shotgun is good for home defense, but a revolver can be used quicker in a pinch. Of course, you can get both. You can carry a shotgun in your car with a license here.

Jan 5, 2006
Point and shoot;)
Spoken like someone who has no clue! :ermm:

Knowing how to properly use a firearm is about a lot more than just "point and shoot". Like I said before, it's not the same to shoot at a standing target, than it is to be confronted with one or multiple assailants in a very confined area, with loved ones nearby, who can also be hurt or killed in the ensuing confrontation. The latter is more likely a real life situation, and if you have to stop to think about what you're going to do, you are very likely to end up dead. Once you decide to pull out that gun, you better be dammed sure of what you're going to do with it, without any hesitation. :)

Jan 5, 2006
2. Several have said that it's illegal to import ammnuntion; I assume that this means it's illegal for an American, for example, to bring 100 rounds of ammo in his suitcase. If the luggage is not searched at the DR airport - which in my experience, in POP & STI, it usually is not - in practice does the ammo enter the country undeteced? Am I missing something? Important? Penalties?
It's illegal. You wouldn't even make it onto the plane, as I'm sure that the TSA agents would want to have a chat with you once the ammo was spotted on their x-ray machines. ;)

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Can ammo be purchased in a gun store if you do not have a license to own a gun..In the US you need only a DL. And yes I realize this is not the US..I'm just asking a serious question...

Last edited:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Can ammo be purchased in a gun store if you do not have a license to own a gun..In the US you need only a DL. And yes I realize this is not the US..I'm just asking a serious question...

No , you need to show them a license.

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Guns For Protection

How common is it for residents in the DR to own a gun for protection? What would the percentage be? I mean everyone, from Dominicans born there, to Canadian, US, German, the whole shabang (no pun intended).
Steve

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The last I heard there were about 85,000 gun licenses issued. That alone would be about 10 % of the total population. Don?t forget that th populatin of the DR includes many minors. I would say it is definitely higher than that though. You can bet that 90% of the fancy SUV?s driven by Dominicans have a gun inside.

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Guns

What about people that have moved to the DR? How many have a gun in their homes for protection against intruders?
Steve

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
guns

Simon & Nicky
You guys are freaking me out! We don't live there, but we bought a villa there and will spend around 5 or 6 weeks a year there. I'm starting to question the area that we bought in (Costa Azul). I would rather have my belongings stolen than to get into a gun fight! Maybe I am just too Canadian. Even if I won the gun fight, I would rather lose my things than live knowing I took someones life! I can replace my laptop (even though it's a mac), ipod, digital camera, money etc.:ermm:
Steve