Hand-Held Radios in the DR: Rules and Laws

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
We used, for a bit, like a very, very short bit, Midland hand helds. And before that Motorola, but we never actually used those :(.
They worked fine in the dr. Only shortcome was the exaggerated usable distance, something like 15 miles, supposedly.
Was it the hills here ? Are the test done in perfect conditions ?
Anyhow illimited internet and whatsup, thankfully, arrived to the dr :)

But this thread got me rooting around for the charger base to see if they still work, lol.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Like most product claims, max radio distances are the absolute best case scenario which rarely works out in real use situations:

Ideal weather
flat open countryside terrain/open ocean line of sight - no obstacles including trees/icebergs
low solar activity
fully charged batteries
etc

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
We have some externally-imposed budgetary constraits. :classic:

VHF would be fine for our use.

There is also some compatibility challenges for use with Sena Bluetooth products.

I contacted a guy who has been a Motorola franchise in Pinellas Co. FL (St. Pete/Clearwater, my old stomping grounds) for eons. I sold him nice street Cobra to many years ago that he still has. I told him our needs and he suggested a Baofeng product instead of a Motorola: https://baofengtech.com/murs-v1. Says he sells Motorola only when spec'd, like police, gubmint and fire departments, full integrated systems that are mega-spendy, in the millions. He can't sell to me. He does sells a ton of various Baofeng radios and says they are great bang for the buck.

See this thread.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/does-anyone-still-use-analog-coms-instead-of-bluetooth-stuff.1351588/

Feb 7, 2007
Call Daniel Ureña at Indotel. Explain to him what exactly you want to do, how, etc. and he will tell you if you need a) a franchise; or b) a permit for private telecommunications services; or c) none of the above.

If it will be for a very sporadic use I guess you will be OK without getting involved with Indotel. If you plan to do a business with those radios for a longer period of time, getting legal might be in order. If what you need is an option (b) it is not that costly, just 30k pesos and about 30-60 day process.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
They are kind of on the periphery for what we need.

Our specific application is fairly complex.

We will have 7 riders on six bikes. One bike is the lead and one bike has a rider and cameraman. They all need to communicate with each other. We plan on the Sena system for that purpose, either 20S or their new mesh system.

Each rider will have a voice recorder on all the time. This will either be the Sena GoPro audio pack connected to helmet-mounted GoPros via bluetooth, or a corded MP3 lavalier system worn by the rider, with a challenge being microphone placement. Tuto gets to figure that out.

The lead and camera bike needs to communicate with four support/crew vehicles in front and behind. This will be done with waterproof 2-way radios integrated/hardwired to the Sena SH10 bluetooth hub, which puts the 2-way communications to the helmets.

The lead and camera bike will also need cell access, accomplished by bluetooth connection with the SH10 hub.

Sena engineers are working on a system to accomplish all this. They don't have 2-way radios, but offer DIN cables for different radios, and one DIN cable for a custom application.

I have to come up with the radios, and prefer a connection with a standard Sena cable.

It's interesting to note that several of the riders in the link you provided use Baofeng radios.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Use the Sena 30K for mesh between riders, works great!

If you don't need a huge range, the support vehicles can also use the 30K's.
Very easy to hardwire in the mic and external speakers.

I use the Motorola MU354R's and they work great with a bar mounted PTT.
Throw them in a tank bag or mount to the bars, endless options :)
If you are going to use two-ways other than the Motorola MU354R's or other bluetooth 2-way, yes you will need the Sena hub.

Mic location, all depends on the helmets you are using, that you know.
I use a Sony 4K, with the small additional velcro backed mic that comes in the Sena 30K kit. It's mounted on the check pad, very small, works great and plugs into the back of the Sony camera on my Neotec. The Sony is small, amazing image quality, weatherproof and can be used with a waterproof enclosure if needed.

Neotec_1.jpg

Neotec_2.jpg

Neotec_3.jpg

Neotec_5.jpg

Neotec_4.jpg

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Use the Sena 30K for mesh between riders, works great!

If you don't need a huge range, the support vehicles can also use the 30K's.
Very easy to hardwire in the mic and external speakers.

I use the Motorola MU354R's and they work great with a bar mounted PTT.
Throw them in a tank bag or mount to the bars, endless options :)
If you are going to use two-ways other than the Motorola MU354R's or other bluetooth 2-way, yes you will need the Sena hub.

Mic location, all depends on the helmets you are using, that you know.
I use a Sony 4K, with the small additional velcro backed mic that comes in the Sena 30K kit. It's mounted on the check pad, very small, works great and plugs into the back of the Sony camera on my Neotec. The Sony is small, amazing image quality, weatherproof and can be used with a waterproof enclosure if needed.
Big thanks for the heads' up on that radio. Very, very interesting indeed. Bluetooth. How long is the PTT wire? What kind of range have you found?

With your suggestion even the new Cardo mesh system could work I'm not a fan of the hub, but it may work. Sena has been a sponsor for a long time but some of the new Cardo mesh line is the bomb. Sena was the choice two years ago because of the SH10.

What is the mic on the camera for?

Vehicles will be too far away for mesh.

GoPro is in for a bunch of Hero7's and Tuto wants to go that route for cinematographic reasons. His call.

If we go Cardo and eliminate the SH10, that means we have to use a wired lavalier voice recorder.

Again, thanks for the input.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The Sena Bluetooth backs only fit the older version GoPro’s.
The new versions use the USB mic adapter that sucks in my opinion.

PTT cable is about 4-5’ long.

Mesh: I agree Cadio is ahead of the game right now on mesh. I use the Sena, as I couldnt get any Cardio unit to link up to the 2-Ways via bluetooth.

Range: I have got a few miles on open ground, but obviously drops off in the hills and urban areas.
They are not that expensive, so maybe buy a couple and test.