Hanes laying off 1400 workers in Haina

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
full quote:

"The Dominican Republic is also becoming a major area for contact centers in Latin America. It boasts more than 40 call centers, employing more than 18,000 people, according to government data. That?s more than contact centers employ in Panama and CAFTA countries like Costa Rica and El Salvador, according to the Zagada Institute."

It must be true: I have a (very young) uncle who has never left DR and speaks English with a heavy Dominican accent -- not spectacularly well, all learned in his formal schooling in DR--yet the Call Centers were falling head over heal to try and hire him.

There're actually more jobs than fully qualified personnel!!

Last edited:

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
"The blossoming of call centers in the country has indeed attracted industry attention as the Dominican Republic focuses on high-tech services more sharply. According to the Zagada Institute, a business development analytics firm, the Dominican Republic is the leading call center location in the Caribbean and Central America, followed by Jamaica, which employs roughly 10,000 agents throughout 16 centers, Panama with 9,500 agents, Costa Rica 4,500 and El Salvador with 4,000"

ICMI - Dominican Call Center Industry Witnesses Growth

Dominican Call Centers Serve the U.S. Hispanic Marketplace

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Finally, the reason why DR has a high unemployment rate vis-a-vis Central American and other Latin American country can be summed up in one word: HAITI.

The Levis i have on say made in Haiti. How long till the Doms start sneaking into there for factory work ???????????????
In a since they already have, thats probably a Dominican company making your Haitian made Levis: The Santiago based Grupo M, one of DR's largest company (I believe they're ..or recently were the biggest private employer in the country, after the public sector/government that is)

Last edited:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
... The Santiago based Grupo M, one of DR's largest company (I believe they're ..or recently were the biggest private employer in the country, after the public sector/government that is)

Vega Textil (owned by Grupo M of Santiago, owned by Fernando Capell?n) has just layed off another 2,000 workers in Moca. Mr Capellan states that over 40.000 jobs have been lost in recent months in Santiago.

HOY.COM.DO

Wait for a "surge" in crime in Santiago as unemployed Mocanos will go to any lengths to put food on their families' dinner table....

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
They've been shedding jobs for quite some time now, that's precisely why I have my reservation as to whether they still are the Numero Uno private employer.

C

Chip00

Vega Textil (owned by Grupo M of Santiago, owned by Fernando Capell?n) has just layed off another 2,000 workers in Moca. Mr Capellan states that over 40.000 jobs have been lost in recent months in Santiago.

HOY.COM.DO

Wait for a "surge" in crime in Santiago as unemployed Mocanos will go to any lengths to put food on their families' dinner table....

When will the idiots in the capital realize it's time to change the labor laws to be at least marginally competitive?

At the very least create different laws for the Zona Franca areas. Come on guys - get a clue!!!!!!!

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
When will the idiots in the capital realize it's time to change the labor laws to be at least marginally competitive?

At the very least create different laws for the Zona Franca areas. Come on guys - get a clue!!!!!!!

I believe the biggest private employer, et al old fashion lobbying has recently paid off in that regard..

...but that has been the history of the low-skill textile industry: From it early history in the child labor mills of New England, through its methodic migration 'till it reached the South ..through its move overseas, etc.

Last edited:

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Dominican textiles in FTZ take a fall
Listin Diario writes that the exports of apparel produced within the country's free trade zones (FTZ) have registered a major drop off, the largest decrease among DR-CAFTA signatory countries. Over the last two years, it is estimated that the DR has lost about 50,000 jobs in the textile industry. According to the Major Shippers Report, for the first two months of the year the DR experienced a decrease of 23.63% in the volume of apparel exports and an 18.45% decrease in value. This decrease pushes the DR to the 14th position among countries that export apparel to the US and 12th in terms of value. The value of the country's exports in the first two months of 2006 was US$207.14 million but during the same period for 2007 the value dropped to US$168.93 million. Part of the reason for the decrease in the value of DR exports is the higher labor and electricity costs, plus a perceived overvalued peso, as well as competition from China and lower-cost production centers in Central America.
See http://otexa.ita.doc.gov/prelimadmin/msrcty/a2470.htm