Hard To Adjust To Life In USA?

Mar 21, 2002
Snuffy don't regret your decision. The opportunities your family will receive in the USA are light years ahead anything the DR can offer. Nueba Yol is Nueba Yol.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Snuffy Torres, is that you?

Thanks. You haven't seen me dance have you. LOL

No I haven't... :paranoid: but I've seen guys who are total klutzes learn to dance really well and all the couples I take lessons with seem really happy :bunny: :ermm: once their women stop blaming them for everything!! Sorry, I push dance on everyone...

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
Snuffy,

I live in Cobb county. My parents are Dominican and I have a few family members here. My sisters neighbors happen to be Dominican also (from Jersey), very nice young family. We get together occassionaly. If you ever need a Dominican "fix" come see us one weekend for some good food and laughs.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
ccarabella...that is kind of you, thanks. You say your parents are dominican...that would mean you are dominican also unless you were adopted. You are dominican?

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
Yes, absolutely right! I was trying to stay away from the "moving here trying to adjust" since it wouldnt apply to me.
Yes, warmth, friendliness and tropical rythmes run through my veins!
Dominicana SOY!

juan189

Oct 31, 2006
www.geocities.com
im a dominican in atlanta too

I live in atlanta as well and would be interested in meeting other domincans in the area. I have visited some of the dominican restaurants posted in the other threads. Since im a single young man i dont know how much i can help you other than showing you and your family around atlanta but if you would like that help. im happy to provide it. Hope to meet you soon.

juan burgos

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have noticed that people do not talk about "adjusting" they talk about "staying among own folks" even in a foreign country.
i had to adjust to life in london, now here and i can tell you one thing, snuffy, before someone snaps at me for DR unrelated sentimental stories.
the best way to adjust is to learn the language, find friends that are native to the country you are in, watch local tv, read local papers, listen to local radio.
healthy contact with your own country folks is good but not close yourself in a DR community in usa or you (i mean your family) will end up miserable, unhappy, always home sick and stuck with crap job, the only one you can get with crap english.
appreciate the place you are and you will adjust.

easier said than done as it is taking me ages to adjust in here....

bolivar_c

Oct 20, 2006
I don't know if you were even considering Miami in your plans, but i can say pretty surely that Miami would be the easiest transition for any Hispanic. While cities like New York have Hispanic enclaves in a mostly American majority; Miami has a predominately Hispanic majority with just a few American enclaves. Speaking spanish allows you to communicate with more residents than if you would speak english as your primary language. I moved here from Puerto Rico with almost no complications. Granted, Puerto Rico is not the D.R., but there are certain similarities culture-wise. The biggest problem with Miami is that many people who come here fail to learn English after many years.

Trying to assimilate into an area with a small Hispanic population can be difficult; particularily with languages and customs. I have never been to Atlanta, but have heard there is a good sized Hispanic population there, so you should be OK.

However, if you ever decide to relocate, Miami could be a possibility. Once you get past the horrendous traffic, it really is a great city.

Espejo81

May 19, 2007
My suggestion is to keep her away from predominantly hispanic communities. I came to NYC (Park Slope, Brooklyn) when i was only 12 years old. I was sent to a bilingual Jr. HS which was fun b/c I had spanish speaking friends and then I went on to a bilingual HS for two years until i realized that I was not adjusting, I WAS GETTING COMFORTABLE and thats not always a good thing since by that time, i had been in the U.S. for about 4 years and my English was horrible. I transfered to a non-bilingual school and god, did i really need to catch up. Now i had no other choice for communitating except for English. It improved dramatically. Now i could have a conversation, know what ppl where talking about, understanding their ways, their behavior and every confusion just cleared up. I also didnt have to always walk 4 blocks to my spanish speaking friends when i could just chat w/ my next door neighbor...nice. Introducing her to some hispanics is very good. I'm sure she'll have a few question for them, but dont put her in a enviroment that she'll feel that she does not have to improve her communicational skills and to let her understand that although spanish is a beautiful language, english is essential. Also, you may take her out to latin clubs, bars, restaurants. Let her make frequent calls to her relatives in DR (she wont get off the phone for the first few weeks but that'll wear off) and dont wait more than a year b4 u travel back 2 DR.

About culture.... listen.. its not like dominicans dont know who the New York Yankees are... we are very familiar w/ the american culture, however, this is not to say that she'll understand everything (culture) when she lives among Americans. Explain this to her (this comes from personal experience), Let her know that not everyone is as polite as in the DR so that she doesnt feel bad when she greets ppl and gets no replies and that ppl are not always willing to help her when the groceries she carries are too heavy. That everynow and then, she's going to have doors landing at her face when she expected some one to hold it open for her.... It takes time, but she'll be fine.

--I should publish this book--

kingsbridge77

Apr 29, 2004
It's hard

When I came here I thought I knew english, since I took it in school in DR. But it's not the same. I didnt understand what Americans said, specially African Americans. Eventually I caught up and now my english is fluent.