Has anyone actually tried to use 911?

jahjahwarrior

Mar 14, 2017
Interestingly enough we called 911 twice this week.

First time, a neighbor's car had some malfunction that resulted in the horn blowing for half an hour while the battery slowly died at 1am. 911 said they couldn't help with that.

Second time we're enjoying a beer at Vinoabeber on Rafael Vidal in Santiago and some crazy guy was walking down the street shooting a pistol. Shot a truck, a lady leg and a computer. Police said they had gotten another call about it as well and in 2 minutes 3 trucks showed up, and the ambulance in maybe 8 minutes. Didn't catch the guy. People closer to the street saw who it probably was and gave a description, seems the guy was on drugs and looking for someone he had an argument with.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Interestingly enough we called 911 twice this week.

First time, a neighbor's car had some malfunction that resulted in the horn blowing for half an hour while the battery slowly died at 1am. 911 said they couldn't help with that................

hmmm, you may have reported that incorrectly. It was not a car malfunction (wink-wink) but instead someone blasting their car radio playing the latest Punk Rock tune "Horn Blow". Now it becomes a noise pollution problem.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
hmmm, you may have reported that incorrectly. It was not a car malfunction (wink-wink) but instead someone blasting their car radio playing the latest Punk Rock tune "Horn Blow". Now it becomes a noise pollution problem.

Wait a minute, does that mean I can't call 911 when the 'clik clik clik clik clik" on my autolight stove doesn't work?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Wait a minute, does that mean I can't call 911 when the 'clik clik clik clik clik" on my autolight stove doesn't work?

yes and no .......... you have to do some thinking JD (wink-wink). Now doesn't that sound like the clicking of a timer on a bomb? That will get you the bomb squad who may just have the right part to fix your stove.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
yes and no .......... you have to do some thinking JD (wink-wink). Now doesn't that sound like the clicking of a timer on a bomb? That will get you the bomb squad who may just have the right part to fix your stove.

Why didn't I think of that?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Why didn't I think of that?

No problem glad I could help. One other thing JD really try to make it sound convincing and get your phone call in early. There is a limited number of personnel who can respond to these calls and I know you would much rather have them rush out to repair your stove then possibly spend their valued time responding to someone who just had a heart attack or maybe a family whose home is ablaze with children trapped inside. Just remember 911 is for real, honest EMERGENCIES.