Has Major League baseball helped or hurt the Dominican Republic

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
I need some feed back from some of you guys and gals out there, I feel that major league baseball is exploiting Dominican children, and I also feel that people have had a blind eye about what major league is really doing in D.R., and if there doing much at all, why do we have one hall of famer
and only a hand full of ballplayer in the big show, if they have been there 70' the 70's MLB I believe is disrupting the Dominican government from building better educational facilities and programs...what do you think!

lsylla01

Aug 10, 2004
I believe that MLB has in a sense hurt the DR indirectly in terms of illiteracy on a small scale (read it all before you start labeling me!). For instance, after talking with a buddy of mine from there, I found out that a lot of guys drop out of school in order to play baseball there in the DR. Because of the rigorous schedules, there's no time for school. It's sort of like a full time job.
Now we all know the ultimate goal; to make it to the major leagues and make millions.
I don't know if ML scouts encourage this, but the presence of MLB alone indirectly encourages this behavior, giving people dreams and hopes without realizing they need back up plans to fall on just incase (i.e. an education).

As a former athlete at a university in the US, I have seen this first hand. People willing to give up their education with high hopes of making it to the pros (NFL in my case) without realizing the statistics. That has left a few good buddies of mine working little jobs here iand there only b/c they failed to get their degree.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It has always struck me that the dream of becoming a multi-million earning ball player might deter a lot of boys from taking their studies seriously. After all, only a few individuals achieve that dream, so what happens to the thousands of hopefuls who don't make it? They'll have spent all their time and energy on training, and will have left school without any useful skills or qualifications.

It's a bit like saying - why should I get a job when I might win the lottery?

On the subject of exploitation, I know of a young hopeful who is being groomed for the Major Leagues (or so he is being led to believe) and is being told he has to spend thousands of pesos a month on 'vitamins'. Aside from the suspicions that provokes, the money he is being compelled to spend makes up a good third of his household's income.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I had an ex-girlfriend in the DR who told me that all of the peloteros were "brutos",(dumb) because all they do is play baseball and when the dream dies(which happens to a large majority of them) they have to go back to their barrios and try to get by as best they can with absolutely no education whatsoever.
These teams do not invest anything in the education of the kids. Alot of them who wind up in the states playing for some teams' farm system do not have even the most basic of english skills-they are expected to live with host families who put them up without understanding a word of english. Imagine that.

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
ok but also you have to think about all the guys who play and make it to the minor leagues and are making more money in the minors than they working in the DR in most cases...so you also have to include the minor leagues percentages as well. also, just coming over to the US is a dream

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
i just wish DR could continue putting baseball in high regard , but also help out other sports in which Dominicans have potential,like basketball,soccer,track and field,other sports that need better funding.Most Dominican baseball players have very low education levels but this is due to the school systems they hail from and the influence at home, not baseball.However,some cities have prospered becuase of the baseball players that have hailed from there,like San Pedro de Macoris,its real funny becuase from what i gathered San Pedro has one of the best school systems in the country(pretty ironic).

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
False

MAjor Leage Baseball, through the various camps, does educate the guys they sign. They learn English, they learn behaviour, and they learn baseball rules. They are not "forced " to buy anything. They receive salaries that are at or above three times minimum wage for PLAYING A GAME!. And they are well fed and looked after.

Those that are signed to plaay in Rookie Leagues or above, make, as was well stated, more than they would make working in the DR.

While the "dream" might encourage a healthy young man to abandon his studies, there is a huge amount of self-elimination. I would wager that 99.5% of all candidates were dropouts before going to the camps. These kids are not from your university oriented families.

Another thing. That visa they get puts them in the Promised Land, so if they see that they are not really "hot property", they can stay there as un-documented aliens until there is a new 'free pass' and they get their green cards. Or they marry one of the groupies that follow the minor league teams and get their residence....many are just about a half a step from being sankies anyway...

Look baseball is a way out of poverty. They take waht they can get. It is not baseball's fault that Bonds and the others were on steroids...is it?

HB :(:(:(

lsylla01

Aug 10, 2004
Hillbilly said:
Look baseball is a way out of poverty. They take waht they can get. It is not baseball's fault that Bonds and the others were on steroids...is it?

HB :(:(:(

Good point! It's not baseball's fault when you put it that way. MLB never told B Bonds to do steroids (if that's what he actually did).
MLB doesn't tell them to drop out of school but, there ought to be a sense of responsibilty on the MLB's behalf since that's what takes place.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
lsylla01 said:
I believe that MLB has in a sense hurt the DR indirectly in terms of illiteracy on a small scale .....I found out that a lot of guys drop out of school in order to play baseball there in the DR. Because of the rigorous schedules, there's no time for school. It's sort of like a full time job.
Naaah, like HB said, these aren't University families. Kids going to camps would have to be 16 anyway, most?if not all?left school before that. I put the reverse on you and say that there are hundreds upon thousands of Dominicans that now speak/read/communicate very well in English, something not (likely) possible without the opportunities afforded them via MLB.

To answer the OP's question:

I think MLB has done more to help the DR than the DR has. MLB isn't exploiting young players, nor encouraging them into taking drugs; that's what the buscones do. That, on top of a failure of basic education throughout the country is what leads young and impressionable kids into making bad decisions.

There is such a lack of basic and fundamental learning that many haven't the cognitive ability to get a grasp on simple risk/reward analysis (see my notes on "8 to a motoconcho" or "drive fast/take chances").

MLB isn't in the business of schooling children in the Caribbean. Those facets are left for the teams to deal with on their own terms. Most see very little value (in fact it's a huge cost with little return) in educating the academy players.

It makes more sense (financially) to wait until they make the rookie/minor leagues and the schooling can be done far more effectively and comprehensively.

What I've heard most recently is that (some) teams are instead focusing on basic Spanish at the DR academy level. That's an indication to me that if the kids dropped out of school, it's more likely due to other issues.

R&JRivas

Apr 28, 2002
I was one of those players

I was one of those players who came to the United States many years ago. In the days when I came we were not taught english before we got here, and there was no one to look after us because after spring trainning our scouts would leave and we would be sent to our minor league team. When I signed I never had it in my mind to stay in the United States, my thoughts were to play baseball as long as I could and help my family with the money that I made.
I never went to school, I think maybe the last grade I went to was forth. By the way my parents didnt care if I went either. So I spent time taking care of the cows. I never cared about baseball either until I was about 17 and that is when I started playing. I was signed in no time and was on my way to making money and helping my family.
I do belive I have done well for myself, never made it to big league but I have a great family and I am happy

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
...and...

R&JRivas said:
I was one of those players who came to the United States many years ago. ...........I do belive I have done well for myself, never made it to big league but I have a great family and I am happy
You seem to have a pretty good grasp of the language. I imagine your baseball times had at least a small role in that development?

I remember being told by a native with a similar background to yours. He never made the majors, but was able to save some and learn enough English to use it to advance his employment.

As he put it "two languages = two salaries".

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Estimado Sr. Rivas

Like many of my friends you were left to "fish or cut bait" and the teams didn't care much what you did. I know, more or less what you went through.

You probably ordered your food: ""Like that" and pointed. Or you learned "Big Mac and Coke" real quick.

Our story is precisely why the teams are not teaching some English and some "American customs" to the kids they sign in the camps.

I am glad you survived and made your way. I had one friend that lost out because of a girl-or her pimp, I am never sure of the story...another came home because he didn't know that they used the same color paper for the "release" and for the promotion!...

Later guys,

HB :D:D

R&JRivas

Apr 28, 2002
life after baseball

Well after baseball my wife hired a private tutor for me where I learned to read english, I do speak english also but I have a accent of course. When we reclocated in Florida I went to Adult Ed to learn more english. So now I speak, read in both languages. But my writing in English is ok but my spanish is not good of course because I did not go to school.
My daughter asked me the other day "Papi do you feel smarter in spanish or english?" I told her english. I feel like I learned everything in the US.

Going back to baseball, I had an american roomate who wrote on a piece of paper for me
2 big macs
2 large fries
1 large coke
2 apple pie
I took this to every place I went to get food, didnt matter to me that it wasnt Mcdonald - that paper was my life. What a sad day when I lost the paper.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
It starts at home!

R&JRivas said:
I never went to school, I think maybe the last grade I went to was forth. By the way my parents didnt care if I went either. So I spent time taking care of the cows.
This happens to many dominican kids. Some parents just do not care if they go to school because they need to have the kid working with them.

When we came to the US back in 1974, we used to breath, eat and sleep baseball. While in the DR, that was all we did, go to school and play baseball.

When we came here, my mother made sure that we had a education first and foremost. As she used to say "baseball can finish at any time but your education will last you a lifetime". 3 of my brothers were darn good. I mad it to AA and played college ball. My other brother was signed by the Phillies and played for their AA team. Another was signed, fresh out of college, by San Diego and played AAA ball until he damaged his knees and could not play anymore (a real shame since even his manager said that he was 10 times better than Bernie Williams in center field). We never made it to the "big show" but at least we had our education. All that is needed is someone to push us a little. If a person does not have home support, when the dream is gone, there's nothing to fall back to.

Rivas, I know exactly how you feel. I also know that if someone is not supported or motivated at home, it would be harder to reach one's goal.

About 7 years ago, I used to manage a local baseball team in Brooklyn. I had this kid named Jose Luis that had all the tools to reach the majors. The kid was only 16 but was built like a truck. I have never seen so much potential and talent on anybody, not even some major leaguers. AAA players used to pitch to him(he was underage so he could not play on their team) and the kids would just not make an out. I asked him why his father never came to see him play and all he said was that his father was busy. I asked why he was not attending school and all he said was that his father told him that school was not important. I called one of my college buddy that made it to the big leagues and he was going to send a scout to see this kid. The scout contacted his father and his father just would not let the kid see him. I went to his father's business and I begged and pleaded with him but all he said was, get this: "the hell with baseball, he is needed here. He needs to work here. Who will take care of the bodega". That was the first and last time that I have ever felt like killing someone!. Poor kid. He could had been a multi-millionaire right now. I am sure of it. Only if he had parents that cared.

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
But something doesn't seem right

MLB is not doing absolutely anything to support the educational loop holes that are in place in the island now, they are playing the (well that's there law type of excuse) there getting great talent for cheap money, also I heard that the D.R. gov't gets paid at least 14 million dollars a year from MLB to have the rights to run there camps there...can anyone verify this for me..also MLB for sure has hurt child development in D.R. because if kids have to quit school to get in these camps for money how can education compete with that, if D.R. was to strenthen there educational system MLB will have to be sanctioned somehow, I mean MLB believe it or not has caused D.R.'s little league programs to go down, no longer is the country a power house in the international community, no are there talent being sent to the pan am or Olympic games, Fellos.. look! as I see it something smells fawl with MLB in D.R. players are not being told the truth of why there a hot commodity for baseball, to me it isn't to get to the big show, but more as circus acts, to keep there minor league franchises up and running..for some reason I'm not convinced about MLB's presence in the island, D.R. boys would have been alot more valuable to themselves and the country without the baseball camps in the island..we would have been major contenders in the Olympics, we would have given many U.S. universities National championships, I'm telling you guys, I have spoken with many college recruiters and they say they are Dying for Dominican talent, but greedy scouts, MLB, and the gov't has these boys held hostage, once again D.R. boys are not PROSPECTS...remember this!! they are just cheap labor... D.R. young boys are making alot of people multi-millionares, guys! my conspiracy theory goes so far as to convince me that MLB may even be telling Dominican Proballplayers, not to construct, nor build, nor help, nor encourage, nor fund, nor even think, about building schools, constructing baseball fields, our establish athletic academic programs in the island!!How else can A-Rod donate five million dollars to help renovate the university of Miami's baseball field and equipment, and not ever attend or set one foot in a U.M. uniform..fellos give me some feed back on this theory please!

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
feedback

daddy1 said:
fellos give me some feed back on this theory please!
I gave it a good effort. Read every word you wrote.

My feedback: You're crazier than a bed bug.

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
Cleef said:
I gave it a good effort. Read every word you wrote.

My feedback: You're crazier than a bed bug.
Sometimes my friend you have to get past the Bullshit to understand what is really happening. I work with major leaguers here in florida as a trainer,and I helped trained ballplayers for a scout in the San Diego padres organization in the island
my best friend was a scout for cincinatti reds there, and now is back in the states working with American prospects only! I am just passing down the knowledge to my peeps so they could see the real picture, but I understand ,most people will never see it... and you have given us the answer and argument that MLB has been making for years...you see MLB will tell you they don't distribute the steroids this is not there fault!! but knowing they could have done more to help remedy there ballplayers addictions they did nothing, that wasn't there problem either right ,I don't know maybe it's just me but baseball has been getting in the habit of being in the middle of caos and yet they take no responsibility for anything :bandit: . juiced up players made them millions, so once again hear no evil and see no evil was there response to the whole thing... when it was addressed by a latino so I wonder who the real bed bugs are..Humm anyway at least they have you convinced...and life goes on right. ;)

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
R&JRivas said:
Well after baseball my wife hired a private tutor for me where I learned to read english, I do speak english also but I have a accent of course. When we reclocated in Florida I went to Adult Ed to learn more english. So now I speak, read in both languages. But my writing in English is ok but my spanish is not good of course because I did not go to school.
My daughter asked me the other day "Papi do you feel smarter in spanish or english?" I told her english. I feel like I learned everything in the US.

Going back to baseball, I had an american roomate who wrote on a piece of paper for me
2 big macs
2 large fries
1 large coke
2 apple pie
I took this to every place I went to get food, didnt matter to me that it wasnt Mcdonald - that paper was my life. What a sad day when I lost the paper.

I am finding your life story MOST interesting. Young, limited education, with baseball skills and a FAT bank account. I am wondering how did you related to your family back home? Did you visit often? Did every relative want something from you? Were you able to bring others to the States? Were you able to improve their living situation (if needed)? Any regrets or second thoughts of what you could have done better as it relates to DR and family there? What happened when the contract came to an end?

All this might sound stupid or a bit too personal. If so, I apologize. But I'm just curious to hear more of how you were able to bridge to two different worlds in a new experience.
TEHAMA

Last edited: