Have an ATM question about limits for each bank

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thinking further...

I see more armored vans here in RD than NoAmerica... always shuttling cash around

Why?

The RD society is much more cashed based than US/Can (IMO) and the banks' cash supply levels must vary considerably.
Hence the need to top up regularly.

We saw this in the check cashing...
neighborhoods relying on check cashers were neighborhoods where few had credit cards.
We were always busy..... busier than the banks
Few had bank accounts.

been fun thinking about this....

I feel like Bob Hope..... Thanks for the Memories......

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I was in my branch last month and there was cash stacked everywhere. 5 or 6 empty stairs were piled 2 feet high, on the counter within easy reach, it seemed every available space was occupied by bundles both pesos and USD. That would have been a good day/time to perform a demand withdrawal. You would have needed 5 or six large bags, but that is the cost of doing business.

Maybe El Chapo opened an account that day.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I don't remember what day it was. I was just surprised to see that amount outside of a vault. There is a vault door there, but maybe it doesn't work. :)

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The average Bank branch in the DR carries more US currency than one in the US. Try and get 30K out of a US bank. Over here I have got more than that from one branch on many occasions.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The average Bank branch in the DR carries more US currency than one in the US. Try and get 30K out of a US bank. Over here I have got more than that from one branch on many occasions.

You're right, I've been asked to notify my PNC branch in advance if I want $8-10,000 because once I almost cleaned them out, I even had 10s and 20s in the mix.

I've had trouble with getting US Dollars at some BHD branches in Santo Domingo too, but surprisingly never a problem in San Cristobal.