Have you seen this fruit in dr

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Tamarind grows here in Bani, but not malibar tamarind, which is what you are asking about. From what I can tell, they are two completely different fruits.

When I lived in Mexico many years ago, tamarind (like what we have here in Bani) could be boiled and a juice made out of it. Supposedly, the juice worked well in combatting diarrhea, but if one drinks too much without necessity, constipation could occur.

I'd be willing to give malibar tamarind a shot. I've tried everything to lose weight short of diet and exercise.

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
There is a trend these days of "discovering" unusual tropical fruit and then claiming that they have magical properties to make one lose weight, to prolong life, and of course, to be a sexual athlete even when one reaches 80.

I have something to say about 'plants' which are 'unusual' but have been consumed for centuries in countries like China.

1- they usually work. think of ginseng, tongkat ali, colostrum [not a plant]

2- and I suspect pharmaceutical industry prevent the public to know about it or accept it. They have money to get those results.

Other 'plants' overlooked by many is the humble potato and papaya, both make you feel 'full', [find the later more efficently used as "batida', but no milk required]

btw both are anti-inflamatory and help loose weight.

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
long ago they also found wild yam good for women...

so they started to produce natural progesterone using the plant, biologically [molecular] identical to progesterone produced by human body.

but pharmaceutical produced progestin, synthetic[not identical] progesterone, which has been proven to cause cancer in women, but they dont tell anybody and market it as progesterone.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Looks like "Empiric",..."Drank The "KoolAid"!!!!!!!
If it's "Natural", it HAS to be good for "Something"!!!!
Looks like another "Old Timer", trying to keep "Father Time",...AND the "Grim Reaper" at bay!
Can't be done no matter how many "Natural Miracles" you drink,rub,or push up your A$$!
I prefer to "Die WITH IN-dignity"!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
This fruit is commonly known as Tamarind or tamarindo. Not grown in the DR but you can find pre-packaged versions (peeled and sugared) in most big markets sirena or Jumbo. Most restaurants make/serve the juice version or even frio frio!
MY brother in law sold it in his colmado. Don't whether it was delivered or he got it at Mercado Modelo.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
OZ and this have been pooh-poohed about this. He is endorsing a lot these days and his stock is dropping.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
We have 2 kinds of 'tamarindo' in the finca:
- tamarindus indica
- vengeria edulis
Both can be used to make juices, although the first is more common and used much more for that.

IMO, the fruit shown by the OP is not a 'tamarindo'.

donP

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You can buy the more usual type of Tamarind,..as "Pulpo Tamarindo" in every Super Market in the DR.
They/we, make a SUPER sour, made SUPER SWEET with 3 lbs. of sugar, juice drink from it.
The Tamarindo is most likely good for you, the 3lbs. of sugar,..."Not-So-Much"!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
OZ and this have been pooh-poohed about this. He is endorsing a lot these days and his stock is dropping.

i cannot believe this dude is one of the best cardiologists in the country...