Heads up on new citizenship requirement

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
I believe this requirement is part and parcel of the program to weed out people of Haitian heritage. The government is within its rights to do this. It's a clever way to achieve the goal without riling up NGOs and social justice organizations who could lobby against foreign aid to the Dominican Republic.

Once you have been sworn in, you are then given a paper by the Ministry of Interior and Police which you can exchange for your Dominican birth certificate which then entitles you to your Dominican cedula and, should you want it, your Dominican passport. I am not quite at that stage but I have been contacted by someone who has told me of a minor hitch.

Dominican birth certificates have the parents' names (as do all birth certificates) but they also have their nationality and their cedula number. British and Canadian birth certs just have names - no nationalities and no ID card numbers. I have been told that they will not issue cedulas to new citizens if the birth certificate is incomplete.

So, if your birth certificate from your home country does not state the nationality nor national identification number of your parents then you need to take proof of that with you when your Dominican birth certificate is issued so that it can have all of the information on it. I would think that copies of passports will be sufficient. We will see.

Matilda

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Just to try and clarify a few misconceptions.
1. All Dominican birth certificates have the parents cedula number and nationality.
2. British ones have no national id number (as we don't have one) and no nationality.
3. You need a complete Dominican birth certificate to get your Dominican cedula and passport.
4. The way to provide the information so that it can be complete, in my case, will be a copy of each of my parents passports which has a number (and I know it changes but they use passport numbers for all foreigners here who don't have cedulas) and their nationality. Each country will obviously be different, and may even have that information on birth certificates.
5. Maybe the person who warned me, who went to get her cedula and was refused, had a Cedula man who was having a bad day. Who knows. I just thought forewarned was forearmed.

Matilda

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Just to try and clarify a few misconceptions.
1. All Dominican birth certificates have the parents cedula number and nationality.
2. British ones have no national id number (as we don't have one) and no nationality.
3. You need a complete Dominican birth certificate to get your Dominican cedula and passport.
4. The way to provide the information so that it can be complete, in my case, will be a copy of each of my parents passports which has a number (and I know it changes but they use passport numbers for all foreigners here who don't have cedulas) and their nationality. Each country will obviously be different, and may even have that information on birth certificates.
5. Maybe the person who warned me, who went to get her cedula and was refused, had a Cedula man who was having a bad day. Who knows. I just thought forewarned was forearmed.

Matilda

My parents have no passports , however they are identified as Canadians with place of birth on my birth certificate. Hopefully that and a copy of their SIN cards it will be enough.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I believe this requirement is part and parcel of the program to weed out people of Haitian heritage. The government is within its rights to do this. It's a clever way to achieve the goal without riling up NGOs and social justice organizations who could lobby against foreign aid to the Dominican Republic.

Possibly , but most likely just anal civil servants.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Did you possibly mean: A**hole Civil Servants? That would make more sense in this conversation...:cool:

No, anal, as in anal retentive. Doesn't mean they are being Aholes on purpose, just no flexibility or ability see other than in a straight line. That fact that other country do things differently means nothing to them. Kind of like American customs agents.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Losing the German Citizenship?

...I'm probably the most happiest person holding now my Dominican Passport, happier than in my birth country German ...

Will you lose your German passport?
Germany only allows double citizenship in rare cases.

donP

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Rare Cases

Still have my German passport and would not have done it if I would have made a decision to loose it or not.

Then I suppose you applied for and were granted a "Beibehaltungsgenehmigung".

donP

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
The only things I can get are birth and death certificates for both my parents. Would a scanned copy be sufficient? or do we have to do things like translate and have the Dom chancellery say those are valid? or the Canadian embassy?

With regards to the S.I.N. I can get that number from old income tax reports but the actual card is long gone. If I recall the government asks that you destroy the SIN card and the health card after death to reduce the risk of fraud by other people.

Would they simply take my word that the scanned copy of the docs, along with a printed letter giving their SIN number and maybe a 500RD bill to their favourite charity would make everything valid?

I intend to apply for citizenship in 5.5 months! and because there are 366 days in 2016 I believe I have a proper window to do this i.e. with 6 months residency past, and 6 months residency left. Phew. I just don't want to get hung up with other hoops!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I think birth certificate might work if it shows which country they were born in. This is for the Junta Central civil registry so I doubt you need to get them apostilled and translated - but in this country who knows as every department has different requirements. Might be worth asking the Junta - they are good at answering questions online. http://beta.jce.gob.do/

Matilda

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Does one need to renew residency if your's will expire while waiting for police relirts and swearing in cerimony?

I haven't and mine has run out. I carry with me now a copy of my passport, a copy of my marriage certificate (you cannot be deported if married to a Dominican for more than 10 years), and a copy of my receipt of payment for citizenship. I would have thought if you are 'in process' it should be fine.

Matilda

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I haven't and mine has run out. I carry with me now a copy of my passport, a copy of my marriage certificate (you cannot be deported if married to a Dominican for more than 10 years), and a copy of my receipt of payment for citizenship. I would have thought if you are 'in process' it should be fine.

Matilda

That's what the lady that did the interview said, I think.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
bob,

This isn't going to make CCCC very happy. He's going to have to call you Citizen Bob in short order. :)

harry myrtle beach

Sep 16, 2015
I think birth certificate might work if it shows which country they were born in. This is for the Junta Central civil registry so I doubt you need to get them apostilled and translated - but in this country who knows as every department has different requirements. Might be worth asking the Junta - they are good at answering questions online. http://beta.jce.gob.do/

Matilda
My parents place of birth is on my birth certificate from USA but of course no ID number,so will I have to find a document with their Social Security number or will place of birth be sufficient.

harry myrtle beach

Sep 16, 2015
It is possible to get possible to get Social Security of deceased parents.
Photocopy of Original Application for a Social Security Card (SS-5),or Computer extract of Social Security Card Application https://www.socialsecurity.gov//ssa-711.pdfforms
There is a fee to do this but not much. They probably want an apostle on it as well I am sure. I am just going for my interview in 2 weeks so I have time to get all this if I need to.