Health Insurance

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I have a question for the experts:

Could a Dominican citizen that resides outside fo the Dominican Republic get health insurance or do you have to reside in the country?

yes Tigre, You can.
My ARS Humano Platinum Plan includes a Foreign Policy, but as I never used it I can not explain Details.
til today I always used my German Policy for medic Checks when travelling to Europe, but I plan to use the ARS Humano one next Time over there just to find out how it works.

Mike

losflor

Sep 4, 2010
most of the expat plans that I saw were running at over $300 US per month...

And the one that I used out of Denmark went up 15% a year for the last three years...

can you give some prices for the one that you are on?

The best thing to do is ask for a quote as it depends variables...

If you are originally a US or Canadian citizen (I'm UK)

I have existing health issues so mine is a little more....But we certainly aren't spending $300 pcm.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Thanks Mountainannie and DV8 for your answers. It's actually for my mom which pretty soon will be spending the winter months in the DR.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
yes Tigre, You can.
My ARS Humano Platinum Plan includes a Foreign Policy, but as I never used it I can not explain Details.
til today I always used my German Policy for medic Checks when travelling to Europe, but I plan to use the ARS Humano one next Time over there just to find out how it works.

Mike

Cool. Thanks for the response.

losflor

Sep 4, 2010
The best thing to do is ask for a quote as it depends variables...

If you are originally a US or Canadian citizen (I'm UK)

I have existing health issues so mine is a little more....But we certainly aren't
spending $300 pcm.

Have just had this back from very helpful Robert at Offshore Health who looks after us.

The IMG Patriot Plan and is just one example of an affordable international insurance option (much less than the Euro carriers). Expatriates from around the world, including the UK, Canada, USA, etc. may buy for the entire year or just for the days outside their home countries. The rates are very competitive and the plan is designed for those living and traveling abroad.

The IMG Patriot plan is one of the top rated performing expatriate insurance plans and includes air ambulance. IMG has direct relationship with many major hospitals around the world and air ambulance is included. Most expatriates only need $50,000-$100,000 worth of coverage per year per person. We charged nothing to assist our clients and offer many options and international carriers. We also have affordable guaranteed renewable plans which cover expats up to age 74. (Offshore Health and Travel Benefits for Expatriates, Third Country Nationals & Locals: Home - LONG TERM PLANS from the TOP MENU BAR)

To review & apply: https://www.imglobal.com/travelinsurance/index.cfm?imgac=51811&show=PATII,PATAI
Scroll down to the Patriot Plan options. (Offshore Health and Travel Benefits for Expatriates, Third Country Nationals & Locals: Home - SHORT TERM PLANS from the TOP MENU BAR)

My cell number is 512-296-4976, and I take calls 7 days a week.

Kind Regards,

--
Robert Tillotson
Offshore Health & Travel Benefits, LLC
t 512.482.0257
f 512.322.9351

robert@tilloglobe.com

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am going to leave post #26 by losflor.

This is a recommendation by a poster for a possible solution to other poster's questions about insurance.

I would think that if anyone were going to be in the DR for any length of time, it would be good to see a local provider, but I am not really wise on this subject.

HB

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i tell you something from the point of view of someone actually working with insurances. they will do anything not to pay. any excuse is good: lack of the date, unclear seal of the doctor, unclear writing and so on. they will not cover certain substances or treatments. this is the reason many health providers do not want to work with insurances. it simply does not pay off.
international insurance? i would laugh at it. it may take ages to claim many back if it happens. all good in theory but in practice it will not work so easily. sorry.

Reactions: MikeFisher

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i tell you something from the point of view of someone actually working with insurances. they will do anything not to pay. any excuse is good: lack of the date, unclear seal of the doctor, unclear writing and so on. they will not cover certain substances or treatments. this is the reason many health providers do not want to work with insurances. it simply does not pay off.
international insurance? i would laugh at it. it may take ages to claim many back if it happens. all good in theory but in practice it will not work so easily. sorry.

right that,
and in addition usually YOU have to PREPAY to get reimbursed when back home/Bills sent in etc etc.

in what ever Coutry You spend a lengthy Timeperiod You need a Insurance that works DIRECTLY with the local Hospitals, anything else is just a lottery of getting sick or not, and If You do You need the Bucks to get the Hospital's Door opened and receive proper treatment.

Mike

Nov 10, 2010
I use since many years with very satisfying results ARS Humano, the Platinum Plan, costs around $100.- per Month per Person, accepted everywhere.

Mike

Hi mike
Just wanted to know if i bought this plan.... can it be used if i travel out of the country.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
as I wrote in prior Posts,
My ARS Humano Platinum Plan includes a Travel Insurance for Europe(maybe also other Areas/Countries, I just never asked), but as I have anyways my own Insurance for Western Europe with a German Insurer I did never read the Fineprint about that coverage nor did I ever make a claim with them when Traveling over the Atlantic.
step by one of their Offices and grab a Brochure, the staff there also can directly answer Your specific Questions.

Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
yes, my Platinum Plan runs for around 100.- per month, of course per person.

the Royal Plans I have with ARS for my Crews cost 1.067.- Pesos per month, close to $30.-US$, also per Person.
Your exact Quote depends on how many persons you insure on one Customer's Number and of course also on Youir Age, if you had prior Health conditions such will bring up Your Quote also.
there is not such ything as a unique Price valid for everybody, they will run a Medic Check with You and then they will give You a Quote for You/Your Age/Health Condition etc.

Mike

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
they will run a Medic Check with You and then they will give You a Quote for You/Your Age/Health Condition etc.

i have a complimentary plan from colonial (via miesposo's job) and they have never looked at me once :(

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Yes, DV8,
none of my Crews I have included in my Plan as a Company ever been checked neither,
but the private Inclusions (I have around a dozen Friends and their Family members as Private Medic Plans included) been 2 of them sent to the Medic Check and they also pay higher rates than the others, but I Guess it is also depending on the Age of the Person, both been over 60 when I included them, while the other Family Members who been included without a Check are much Younger, 2 of them been included as Newborns.
within my Employees none is of that Age, Yet, the oldest Mate aboard is Carlito with his 41 Years of Age.

Mike

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Best bet is to take out travel insurance. You can get policies covering up to a years covering different areas with different excesses.
Cover is immediate on starting the journey.
Keep a credit card for emergencies with a few thousand dollars credit to pay for immediate bills.
Yanandu

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
If your 60 or over normally they require a medical. Humano, for sure.