Hearing aids? Anyone ever gotten one in the DR?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
You did appear to be debating the technology.
Not really.

I was pointing out that all hearing aids are not the same. Some are simple amplification devices. Others are more complex.

I didn't understand the differences until helping my mom get new ones in the DR.

It is amazing to me that such a tiny device---the battery is by far the largest component and are so tiny they come attached to sticky tape for better handling---can be so complex with an incredibly sensitive microphone, processing chip with 12-channel equalizer, micro speaker and a plug port, all in a footprint so small you can almost fit them both on a quarter.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
So as a first step I ordered amplifiers from Amazon - to try using while watching TV where there is no ancillary noise (like cars, traffic, sirens, busy restaurants, etc. Will see how that goes.

Thanks again for all the information. I'm certainly not alone! And that feels (and sounds) good.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Not really.

I was pointing out that all hearing aids are not the same. Some are simple amplification devices. Others are more complex.

And that is not the "technology"? Hmmm.

I didn't understand the differences until helping my mom get new ones in the DR.

It is amazing to me that such a tiny device---the battery is by far the largest component and are so tiny they come attached to sticky tape for better handling---can be so complex with an incredibly sensitive microphone, processing chip with 12-channel equalizer, micro speaker and a plug port, all in a footprint so small you can almost fit them both on a quarter.

Is not the incredibly sensitive mic, the signal processing done, the small size for what it does all part of the "technology". As a design engineer, it sure is for me, If were assigned such a task.

vi6six

Feb 7, 2009
i also don't have any experience with this web page, but i was reading the sunday newspaper in NYC and they always have this ad. so i decided to get the address if anyone wants to look into it or use it: www.trymdhearingaid2.com