Hector Acosta who's going?

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
Has anyone bought tickets yet for the Hector Acosta concert in Montreal on May 16th? It's at the Medley.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Wonderful surprise!

This is a great surprise. I did not know about this concert but then again I am behind on checking for upcoming social events. I just checked the calendar. Wow! That's nice. It's been a while since there was a good concert. Your timing is perfect though because just today I was thinking about the annual merengue festival and who the performers will be in 2008. H?ctor Acosta came to mind. Anyway the Medley is the perfect venue for this concert because no doubt the turnout will be good once the word gets around. I am interested. I can't 100% confirm yet because I won't be going alone but I have marked the day on the calendar.

I am looking forward to getting his new album Mitad Mitad. I plan on buying it this week. No need to pre-sample. I know it will be good. I really like his previous album Sigo siendo yo. Classic merengue. You can't beat that.

-LDG.

Last edited:

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
I knew you would be interested Lesley ;)

Hector is great. I also think he was wonderful with Los Toros (Llego tu marido makes me get up every time)

I bought my tickets today 47.50 (ouch! Un poco caro, no?)

I saw in El directorio comercial that Andy Andy is playing at Caballero's on the 26th of May. The tickets are much cheaper (around 25$). Although I doubt I will go to that one (I only enjoy a couple of his bachata's).

There hasn't been any good concerts in a while. 2 big names in the same month surprised me too.

Let me know if you go Lesley. Anyone else?

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
I can probably call that a bad promotion, I dont think many Dominicans know that he is going to be in Montreal by this date. It's like last minute deal and #2 quite expensive
Marc Anthony and J.lopez was $50 at the air Canada centre. He is good but not for that price. He should remenber that this is Canada = no enough public for his music.

Latin community herer doesnt know him that well.

Best time prob. Latin fest in Montreal and Latin fest in Toronto that must public get to know him.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
montreal et al.

montreal, I agree the price is a bit high and I think people will definitely take that into consideration. However, if the concert is well promoted he will get a decent crowd at best.

Montreal is different from Toronto when it comes to Latin events in fact IMO there's no comparison. If Dominicans + other avid Latin followers know about a good performer in town the crowd support is usually good. The problem with this concert and public support I think will be the price. It's been a while since I have paid that much for a Latin concert. They have to make sure they use all possible forms of communication such as the radio i.e. the weekly La rumba du samedi radio show (89.5 FM on Saturdays from 1PM-5PM), flyers, the newspapers etc. to promote the concert. I checked in El chasqui latino. The other bonus is the concert is not competing with Montreal's Saturday night rumba which I think will help a lot.

I saw the ad for the Andy Andy concert as well at Caballero Sport Club. It is also a potentially decent show but I don't think the owner promotes his concerts well enough. He does a great job at bringing popular artists to Montreal but it's all about good promotion to bring the crowd in the door. I am still disappointed with the Frank Reyes show in 2005. I think Frank was great but the turn out was a let down. Anyway Andy Andy's bachatas are too soft for me. Certainly not the type for good bachata dancing.

I am keeping my options open to go... y por supuesto montreal si voy te avisar? con antelaci?n. Gracias por decirnos.

-LDG.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
I am so envious.....

Hi to you all

I am green with envy at the news that you have these great concerts - Hector Acosta, Andy Andy, J Lo and Marc Anthony!

We have nada, zilch here in the UK. What I would give to just see one of the bachateros over here - live.

We live in hope........

:cheeky:

Rio

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
I am keeping my options open to go... y por supuesto montreal si voy te avisar? con antelaci?n. Gracias por decirnos.

-LDG.

;) ;) ;)

I can probably call that a bad promotion, I dont think many Dominicans know that he is going to be in Montreal by this date. It's like last minute deal and #2 quite expensive
Marc Anthony and J.lopez was $50 at the air Canada centre. He is good but not for that price. He should remenber that this is Canada = no enough public for his music.

Latin community herer doesnt know him that well.

Best time prob. Latin fest in Montreal and Latin fest in Toronto that must public get to know him.

I have to completely disagree with you Homer Simpson (I feel silly calling you that). The Dominican community in Montreal does know him well. The Dominican community here is also very alive. There is no comparison with Toronto.

For 3 weeks running his show has been advertised (full page) on the back cover of El Directorio comercial. I don't know about El Chasqui, I haven't read it lately. It will surely be advertised on Les Rumbas du samedi. At 47$ they should be able to afford the advertising.

A JLo and MA concert at Air Canada Center is not a show for music lovers or Hispanics...it's for hoards of teenagers ;) I myself am a HUGE Marc Anthony fan but would never pay to see him in a venue like that alongside JLo.

It could be a bust but the only reason would be the price. There is definitely enough Acosta fans in Montreal to fill up Le Medley (it only accomodates 1500people)

Have a nice day and hope to see some more of you there!

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
Hi to you all

I am green with envy at the news that you have these great concerts - Hector Acosta, Andy Andy, J Lo and Marc Anthony!

We have nada, zilch here in the UK. What I would give to just see one of the bachateros over here - live.

We live in hope........

:cheeky:

Rio

Rio, for some reason I thought you lived in the DR in the campo (maybe I am confusing you with someone else...)

isabelle13

Mar 8, 2006
Montreal where did you get your tickets? I tried to buy some online yesterday and it was telling me ticket were not on sale for that event yet?

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Nice article about Acosta-

montreal, you said it. Torontonians don't understand the Montreal Latino dynamic. It's very different and Dominicans have a strong presence in the community. H?ctor Acosta is well-known among music fans and especially among followers of good traditional merengue and bachata. If the show is not a success it would be due to poor advertising or the price of the ticket but not for the lack of popularity that this artist has especially as former lead singer of Los Toros Band.

Here's a great article I just found online about his 2008 new release Mitad Mitad and about Acosta in general. I love his new look. He looks great! I can't wait to get the new album. The count down is on.

H?ctor 'El Torito' Acosta brings merengue and bachata together

-LDG.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
One of the few "Dominican" gringas in Yorkshire!!

Rio, for some reason I thought you lived in the DR in the campo (maybe I am confusing you with someone else...)

No it was me - back in the day. I used to live in the DR but returned in 2004 to live in the UK, for financial and personal reasons. Won't bore you with details.

Bestest female friend/hermana lives in the campo with three kids, bringing them up alone, and I try and support her as much as I can. Given the choice I would be back there like a shot, living hand to mouth, but sometimes the head has to over rule the heart and common sense prevails. Definitely will be back there one day, probably in a wheelchair with bottle of presidente in one hand and plastic cup in other!

I work like stink in the UK and go back as much as I can - anything between 3 - 5 times a year, and speak to her most days. I suppose it is the best of both worlds if you look at it in a glass half full way.

So that's it really - campesina living in Yorkshire,UK - for now!!!!

;)

Rio

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
montreal, you said it. Torontonians don't understand the Montreal Latino dynamic. It's very different and Dominicans have a strong presence in the community. H?ctor Acosta is well-known among music fans and especially among followers of good traditional merengue and bachata. If the show is not a success it would be due to poor advertising or the price of the ticket but not for the lack of popularity that this artist has especially as former lead singer of Los Toros Band.

Here's a great article I just found online about his 2008 new release Mitad Mitad and about Acosta in general. I love his new look. He looks great! I can't wait to get the new album. The count down is on.

H?ctor 'El Torito' Acosta brings merengue and bachata together

-LDG.

Nice article, he is a class act. 300 concerts a year! That's insane.

He does look great, he definitely doesn't look his age. I might just go buy that calendar ;)

As a whole Torontonians don't understand the Montreal community and our way of living. They are so close to us, yet so different from us.

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
No it was me - back in the day. I used to live in the DR but returned in 2004 to live in the UK, for financial and personal reasons. Won't bore you with details.

Bestest female friend/hermana lives in the campo with three kids, bringing them up alone, and I try and support her as much as I can. Given the choice I would be back there like a shot, living hand to mouth, but sometimes the head has to over rule the heart and common sense prevails. Definitely will be back there one day, probably in a wheelchair with bottle of presidente in one hand and plastic cup in other!

I work like stink in the UK and go back as much as I can - anything between 3 - 5 times a year, and speak to her most days. I suppose it is the best of both worlds if you look at it in a glass half full way.

So that's it really - campesina living in Yorkshire,UK - for now!!!!

;)

Rio

That is very honourable of you. You should never see the glass as half empty.

Maybe one day we can share a grande in the DR with 2 plastic cups!!!

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
It's a date!

That is very honourable of you. You should never see the glass as half empty.

Maybe one day we can share a grande in the DR with 2 plastic cups!!!

It makes me feel good and able to sleep at night if I know that the kids have got food in the fridge and clean clothes to wear!

Anyway, a grande P sounds great - maybe one day - stranger things have happened!

;)

Rio

isabelle13

Mar 8, 2006
Le Medley

I have never been to a concert at the Medley. Do you know if there will be seats as I am pregnant but would really love to go.

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
There should be some seating on the outer areas and around the bars but the seats might be taken as it is "first come first served". If you put your hands on you back and make groaning noises (just look uncomfortable) I'm sure someone will give up their seat for you ;)

There are VIP seats for sale with private seating and close to the stage but.... they cost 70$ each!

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
So the ads are officially everywhere radio and papers. Hopefully the turnout will be great!

There's a nice article about Acosta in the Journal alternativa this week.

Isabelle, as-tu d?cid? d'acheter des billets finalement ou non?

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
El Torito

Well I've being in Montreal before, and I know the hispanic community is bigger comparing Toronto but still along most Latino here he is unknown
the only one who knows him are people who follow deep the type of Music.

Quite frankly if that was Aventura performing is a different issue because is well known international. Again dont take me wrong is not about agree or disagree is about being realistic. I like el Torito personally meet him before for a concert that a company I used to work hire him to perform, but $50 dollar I guess thats for a VIP seat.

They dont even come when there is an event like the Latin fest, Dominican indepence day because they know that they dont have enough public to charge a fairly price for them to make their money. if he is so well know along latin community in Canada then he should try Air Canada center.

for now he should keep performing in small place and come often for others latinos in Canada get to know him.

PS: mainly known in Canada by Dominicans and those who travel to Dominican Rep.ask 10 Mexican about him, ask 10 Mexican about Aventura

Enjoy the concert I know will be great but not for the price

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
montreal-

Lamentablemente no voy a poder ir al concierto. Me es imposible ese d?a. Espero que lo pases bien y nos digas todos los chismes. Vi muchos carteles en varios lugares sobre todo en las calles St.Hubert, B?langer y Beaubien. Creo que habr? mucha gente. Buena suerte.

The album- Mitad Mitad

I purchased the new album Mitad Mitad and it's very good. As usual H?ctor delivers. The merengues are sharp and the bachatas are too except one which find is not his style.

Sin perd?n (song #7) is definitely the hit bachata. It already has popularity among bachata fans. For me songs #1, #3 and #4 of the merengues are gems. El merengue cibae?o (song #3 Esencia) is definitely Acosta's trademark.

-LDG.

Let me know if you go Lesley. Anyone else?

Last edited: