Hello DR, Finland is calling

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It is an old thread, but let me tell you that there are Finns here since before the WWII!
Lectonen, Sone, Mustonen are three of the ones I know. they are now totally integrated into the Dominican society.
Trujillo brought them here to "lighten up" the local population, so I was told.

Very nice people.

HB

Finn_ish

Oct 20, 2007
Finns, tourists mainly..

When I was in Sosua last October I tried to find out if there were some Finnish people around.

I got to know that there had been a few diving instructors, some annual tourists etc... but they were all gone now.
The reason was explained that some Finnish charter company had taken tourists there (Puerto Plata/Sosua), but then the charter stopped and so did the finnish tourists.

If I remember correctly there is still some charter trips arranged from Finland but they all go to the AIs.
And as we all know it is dangerous to leave the AIs :)

However, some "sales"people at the beach knew a few words of Finnish, which indicates that there must have been or still is some finnish tourists around.

I did not meet/hear of any Finns living there, except one guy in Santo Domingo who has his own webpage...

Hyv?? p??si?ist? :)

bebeto007

Mar 22, 2008
Thanks for the info

Hello, this seems to turn into Finntastic forum.

If any other Finn is interested to share information on buying property from North Coast or living there, just send me a Private Message. Alongside with house project, I am also building my start up business. So I am still on learning curve, but also had lots of new experiences on how to survive through Dominican system d:eek:)

Br. Pepe

anitaemma

Aug 25, 2006
Thanks Hilbilly,
fine information as always. I met also some of them at one coctailparty arranged to celebrate visit of finnish yacht Helena in January. Still some of them or their descendantes are living in Jarabagoa and I have found tar in bottles with label Ylisen perikunta or something like that.
One women, Hilkka, who came here with her parents as a child on Trujillos time still living in Santo Domingo. In a party they estimated about 30 to 50 finns living here at least part of the year.