Hello from San Pedro!

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Playa del Muertos is not closed, but there is really nothing to see there.

When they first re-opened it, I remember it was nice for...a day. The name alone makes me cringe, let alone the trash.

There was just a thread about how beautiful the old part of San Pedro could be. Edificio Morey is gorgeous, but is becoming a large house for the pigeons as opposed to an even slightly respected historical building. I think it was NALs(?) and I that had a bit of a convo recently about how the decline of the old waterfront buildings in SPM is shameful.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
When they first re-opened it, I remember it was nice for...a day. The name alone makes me cringe, let alone the trash.

There was just a thread about how beautiful the old part of San Pedro could be. Edificio Morey is gorgeous, but is becoming a large house for the pigeons as opposed to an even slightly respected historical building. I think it was NALs(?) and I that had a bit of a convo recently about how the decline of the old waterfront buildings in SPM is shameful.

There too much work to do here in San Pedro, and what makes me more sad is how every body throw garbage to the streets, thats one of the main problems here, I came to this city for work and my town is clean.

Sometimes I see people doing that and I ask why they do it? they dont know what to answer, I explain them that because of that when rain come all the gavage get stuck in draining system and them is when the floodings comes.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
The ones who always get to me are the folks who sit to eat somewhere and drop all of the trash they produce at their feet.

I'd make a comparison to a particular animal but I don't want to drop to that level.

On the other hand.... I made a couple of picnic tables for the area under the mango tree between my building and the next.

I have a group of women who come every day to eat there, and when they leave, they pick up ALL of the trash that is thrown there by others at different hours of the day.

It all boils down to respect. Every problem in this country has lack of respect as it's root cause. Every thing. The way they drive, throwing trash, loud music... you name it. All from a lack of respect.

And yet other folks here are as respectful as it gets.

If you think teaching your kids respect isn't important, just look around you here in the DR.

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
pr

I just cannot imagine how a person who does not look EXACTLY like the local population can live in San Pedro.
Visited it 5-6 times. Being a typical "gringo looking" we felt VERY uncomfortable there. A center of ALL kinds of attention.
And an impressive trash everywhere and an absolute lack of any sanitation - is another story.
Just a personal observation from 5-6 visits only. Not a generalization.

Last edited:

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I just cannot imagine how a person who does not look EXACTLY like the local population can live in San Pedro.
Visited it 5-6 times. Being a typical "gringo looking" we felt VERY uncomfortable there. A center of ALL kinds of attention.
And an impressive trash everywhere and an absolute lack of any sanitation - is another story.
Just a personal observation from 5-6 visits only. Not a generalization.

Yea, I don't see a ton of gringos here. I know only one other, and she is the wife of a local pastor.

But again for me, I want to be near the bateys to be able to help the Ancianos. So the other stuff is just on the periphery.

Sep 4, 2012
Yea, I don't see a ton of gringos here. I know only one other, and she is the wife of a local pastor.

But again for me, I want to be near the bateys to be able to help the Ancianos. So the other stuff is just on the periphery.

NSP,

Is the Nan a reference to Vietnam on your nick?

I take my hat off and applaud what you're doing - BTW, are you a missionary?

Careful with them bateyes, life truly is a struggle in such places and thanks for doing what you do.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
NSP,

Is the Nan a reference to Vietnam on your nick?

I take my hat off and applaud what you're doing - BTW, are you a missionary?

Careful with them bateyes, life truly is a struggle in such places and thanks for doing what you do.

Thanks Wishing!

While I am a Vietnam Era Vet (never in country but served USMC before 1975), the "nan" means "in" in Haitian Creole.

Also yes I am a missionary and thanks for the warning on the bateys. I have heard bad things about Esperanza, but not experienced anything to date. Thank God for that!

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Interesting about feeling uncomfortable in SPM. I’m very fair skinned and SPM is one place I have never felt that way. Visiting for 1-2 week stretches since 2014-spent a month straight in 2017 there. I’ve felt that uncomfortable feeling in Cab, Sosua, SD, PC, but never in SanPedro. When I see another gringo there- they stand out to me because it’s rare. Comparitively, I noticed more attention in SD than SPM. As an aside, never noticed it in Samana either.

But SPM is not a place for the faint of heart, that’s for sure.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
San Pedro has a lot things that must improve

I live in San Cristobal and I'd say the same.

I will say SC is growing like nobody's business. Not a lot of rentals, and tons of new houses being built.

We have a fairly new Sirena now and I wouldn't be surprised to see another supermarket going up soon.

Drive from SD to SC on Carr. Sanchez or 6 de Nov. and you see new construction going up.

Seegee24

Sep 12, 2018
Been living here since October. Finally decided to register after lurking for a few months. I live close to Jumbo in what I consider a very nice part of town.

So far, I love it here. I retired in September of 2018 and don't regret anything (yet!).

Roberto

Welcome..."Love, exciting and new
Come aboard, were expecting you
Love, lifes sweetest reward
Let it flow, it floats back to you..."The Love Boat"!!! :paranoid: ...Nevermind"!!!...Hola lol!!!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The ones who always get to me are the folks who sit to eat somewhere and drop all of the trash they produce at their feet.

I'd make a comparison to a particular animal but I don't want to drop to that level.

On the other hand.... I made a couple of picnic tables for the area under the mango tree between my building and the next.

I have a group of women who come every day to eat there, and when they leave, they pick up ALL of the trash that is thrown there by others at different hours of the day.

It all boils down to respect. Every problem in this country has lack of respect as it's root cause. Every thing. The way they drive, throwing trash, loud music... you name it. All from a lack of respect.

And yet other folks here are as respectful as it gets.

If you think teaching your kids respect isn't important, just look around you here in the DR.

the post of the decade.