Hello, I'm new here! living in DR vs. Tenerife(Spain)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I will provide the information as I can find it. As for the embargo against New Horizons, this could be bother and not affect the teaching. Regarding accreditation by a Regional accreditation bureau, that is something else. It costs like $5K to get the process underway...not all will shell out the money.

HB

IMO: Texas? Isn't that the place that has textbooks that teach intelligent design???? Oh my....

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools only lists 13 schools in the DR as of today.

Before I list them, let me say that I have no irons in this fire. However, "accreditation" is something that can be important, and should not be bandied about. Being accredited by a single institution in NOT really what is meant by saying your school is accredited.

American School of Santo Domingo
Cap Cana Heritage School
Colegio Dominico-Americano (Santo Domingo)
Doulas Discovery School (Jarabacoa)
Garden Kids International School (Sos?a)
International School (Sos?a)
MC School (Santo Domingo)
St. Joseph School (Santo Domingo)
St. Michael's School (Santo Domingo)
St. Thomas School (Santo Domingo)
Santiago Christian School (Santiago)
The Ashton School (Santo Domingo)
The Carol Morgan School (Santo Domingo)

So when a school says they are "accredited" please ask by whom? And check it out. Lots of fakers out there after your money with inflated claims. And please look at their claims.

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
RE: O&M Hostos

It is not listed under WASC accredited schools. At least it did not come up under any search parameters.

Apparently the state of California does not accredit schools, but the Western Association does.

HB

NOTE: There are five (5) major accrediting associations in the US.
Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
New England Association
North Central Association
Northwest Association
and Southern Association

IMO, anything else is hogwash used to up the fees. Oh yes, apparently all private bi-lingual schools have one year to achieve accreditation (from an overseas agency) or else, according to the Ministry of Education!!!!

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And I forgot to put the Western Association on that list, so that makes six...

Sorry.

HB

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
My kids went to OyM Hostos and the education was far from commendable.
Just my experience

Oh, and no....it was not all taught in English.

SHALENA

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Carol Morgan is considered to be one of the (if not the) best schools in Santo Domingo and DR in general. It's the "go to" school for most of the folks working at the U.S. Embassy, and most kids reportedly do well in getting admitted into and successfully graduating out of real universities in NA and Europe. Here's a link with the most updated info regarding tuition:

Dominican Republic, Santo Domingo: Carol Morgan School

My advice would be to take some real time and look around, preferably from a non-tourist's point of view. Both cities have their pros and cons, but I hope you find someplace that works for you and your family.

Good luck.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Two more schools show up on this website of International Schools
St. Georges and Punta Cana Internatinal

Accredited Schools

If you can afford it, Carol Morgan is probably as good as you can get in most prep schools in the states. They do a good job.

HB

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
Interesting, here is what O&M Hostos says on its official web page:

"El Colegio O&M HOSTOS SCHOOL, fundamenta su tipo de ense?anza, desde Kinder a secundaria, en el curr?culo estadounidense de California, utilizando textos y material de apoyo de una de las m?s prestigiosas casas editoras en Estados Unidos como lo es la Harcourt. Sus estudiantes reciben su formaci?n en el idioma ingl?s contando con algunas materias en espa?ol que les hacen participes del Biling?ismo."

I guess I'll be making an appointment with the principal, to ask him with whom they are accredited with.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
All they say is that they follow a curriculum laid out by the State of California. They never mention accreditation. They will have to become accredited within a year if they want to be able to continue as bilingual.

However, none of this makes a hoot or a hollar...it just doesn't mean a row of pee-pee holes in the snow!

If the kids learn to read and write, and maybe a little math, that is all we can expect. There is little intellectual curiosity amongst Dominican or local kids...there just isn't....

So just be sure your kids do their homework, stay away as much as possible from television and Facebook and read...oh my God make them read....Do you know that one of the greatest reasons student drop out of college or fail a subject is that they do not have the capacity to read?>????? Reading= Excellence. It is just that freakin' simple!

HB

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
If the kids learn to read and write, and maybe a little math, that is all we can expect. There is little intellectual curiosity amongst Dominican or local kids...there just isn't....

HB

I beg to differ, my daughter although born in New Jersey, she's been raised here, in good old Santiago; and I must boast in her behalf by pointing out that her English is exceptionally great for someone that only visits the States during summer vacation. Her reading and writing are above grade level, an astonishing feat for someone that's only known DR private schooling, if you ask me.

As a matter of fact, she has a game (an app if you will) on her Blackberry, she plays this certain game "Hangman" constantly, it turns out she's pretty good at it. It doesn't matter if the subject of the game is vocabulary, world History, geography or what have you; fact is she always wins. I think this speaks volumes as far as the teaching she's receiving and her learning skills goes.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
No, it speaks to her own brain and her intellectual curiosity. She is to be congratulated. Has little to do with the school. Please read how I posted that sentence: ..."there is little (not NO) intellectual curiosity...."

HB