Help in figuring out invertor needs

dogstar

Oct 24, 2004
An inverter cost about $100rd per watt, and if you use a good one they have battery low voltage protection which will keep your batteries from going too low. I don't recomend more then 4 six volt batteries on a 24 volt inverter. I also have my house wired so that big draw units are pluged into the grid, washer, dryer, frig, water heater,and the rest of the house on inverter. The frig is protected ,pluged into, a Avtek Protek/c. What this does when the power comes on it checks the voltage and also waits about 5 min. before passing thru the currant, in that way the frig dosen't get spiked when the elec comes on. I also have gallon jugs of water in the frig and freezer, making it a true ice box when the elec is off. A full frig stays colder longer, so fill it with water as you empty other food stuffs out.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I don't recomend more then 4 six volt batteries on a 24 volt inverter.

Many people use 8, 12 or even 16 six volt batteries on 24 volt inverters. It is a trade off between charge time, price and battery life time.

I do understand it is hard to balance additional banks of batteries, but practical reasons often make more than one bank of 4 batteries an acceptable solution.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
MA, some good info here (even if I blew the math for a while): http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/96620-inverters-made-dr.html

IMO, some of the Dominican brands of inverters work very well at a much lower price. The "Wave"inverter from the above thread has performed flawlessly since Day 1, although we did some switchover timing adjustments. The U.S. Batteries have also performed flawlessly.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
An inverter cost about $100rd per watt, and if you use a good one they have battery low voltage protection which will keep your batteries from going too low. I don't recomend more then 4 six volt batteries on a 24 volt inverter. I also have my house wired so that big draw units are pluged into the grid, washer, dryer, frig, water heater,and the rest of the house on inverter. The frig is protected ,pluged into, a Avtek Protek/c. What this does when the power comes on it checks the voltage and also waits about 5 min. before passing thru the currant, in that way the frig dosen't get spiked when the elec comes on. I also have gallon jugs of water in the frig and freezer, making it a true ice box when the elec is off. A full frig stays colder longer, so fill it with water as you empty other food stuffs out.

Sirius you are

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003

ok say that they run the fridge and the washing machine.. yes they have one but only use it while the electic is on.. so say they leave that plugged into the grid..ok? then, as you say.. they pack it as frozen as they can keep it..

then he paints the zinc roof white....Right? not for the electiic stuff but because the place gets so hot at night...

then.. if he can get a some sort of hose or somehow wet down the roof at sunset.. he will get a good chill on the house at night if it is not..right?

So now we are looking for an inverter to run THREE Lights... and a FAN

the TV can be a treat when there is electric.. and maybe he can get a little cheapo dvd player..

how much of an invertor and battery bank would he need?

He has US $300 now and the promise of $350 next month but has to build the shelves for the batteries and some shelves and closets as well.. he has training as a carpenter but no big tools so he is going to have to borrow or hire guys to cut lumber... so

any chance he could do a system for that amount?

then the inverter is really for running PRIMARITY ESeENTIALLY TWO low watt light bulb and two fans

what would he need then?

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Mountainannie,
That would consume about 200 Watts. A 12 volt 1 Kw Invertor would work here. It you only have two fans, and two low energy lights. New such an invertor costs about RD$14,000. And one of the 12 Volt invertor Batteries costs about RD$5400. You need to get the invertor type batteries not car type batteries. These are La Serena POP prices These have the capacity of about 100 amp Hours or 1200 Watt Hours = with both Fans and lights on would run for about 6 -7 hours.

This type of invertor (12 Volt 1Kw ) can be found in the CompraVentas and here in POP they run at about RD$7000 to RDS8000.

I would not recommend buying a battery second hand .

So for about RD$ 14000 you could get the whole installation. It would also be capable of running a TV but would reduce the time to about 3 hours. And if this was important the you could add another 12 Volt Battery in parallel to increase the time to about 9 hours with fans , lights and a TV running.

Hope that helps

Olly

Last edited:

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Mountainannie,
That would consume about 200 Watts. A 12 volt 1 Kw Invertor would work here. It you only have two fans, and two low energy lights. New such an invertor costs about RD$14,000. And one of the 12 Volt invertor Batteries costs about RD$5400. You need to get the invertor type batteries not car type batteries. These are La Serena POP prices These have the capacity of about 100 amp Hours or 1200 Watt Hours = with both Fans and lights on would run for about 6 -7 hours.

This type of invertor (12 Volt 1Kw ) can be found in the CompraVentas and here in POP they run at about RD$7000 to RDS8000.

I would not recommend buying a battery second hand .

So for about RD$ 14000 you could get the whole installation. It would also be capable of running a TV but would reduce the time to about 3 hours. And if this was important the you could add another 12 Volt Battery in parallel to increase the time to about 9 hours with fans , lights and a TV running.

Hope that helps

Olly

yes, that helps a lot Olly.. we are really getting it close now

what if they wanted to run the two fans and the two light bulbs for 12 hours??

then what would they need?

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
You would use a different battery system of two 6 Volt 235 AH in series to give 12 volts. Two T-135 Platinum Trace Batteries cost about RD$4800 each. So RD$9600 for twice the battery capacity of the 12 Volt type. Two of those would cost RD$10800.
Same 12 Volt 1Kw Invertor.
This would run for about 12 hours!

HTH

Olly

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dearest Annie:
TAlk to AZB...get the number of Eddie there in Sto Dgo.

I have installed one of his in a campo setting here in Santiago and they work. P;ain and simple.

Now, that said, you have to understand that with that kind of outages things happen. Batteries don't last, fridges fry,

Read that thread, there really is some good info there.

I think that for their lifestyle, a smaller unit that will run fans (note the wave recommendations!!!), bulbs and the TV is more then sufficient. Keep the fridge off the grid, for now at least.

As things improve, then with some experience and knowledge, a larger unit can be installed. But go smaller at first..And for goodness sakes talk to AZB, the guy (and his guy Eddie) really know about this.

HB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Have A Friend That Bought An Inveror From Eddie,It BURNED Up Right Away!!!

Eddie came out Right-A-Way,and put in a new invertor!
No questions,excuses,no,"I'll take it and fix it",just a new invertor in a few hours!

I know Eddie,but I can't believe that he is a Dominican! :cheeky::cheeky:

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dogstar

Oct 24, 2004
yes, that helps a lot Olly.. we are really getting it close now

what if they wanted to run the two fans and the two light bulbs for 12 hours??

then what would they need?
If he just wants a couple of lights and fans, think outside the box, inverter/charges use almost as much power converting to 110 as a couple of bulbs. Live like a live aboard on a boat use 12 volt systems for the lights and fans, you can even get 12 tvs, any big truck stops here, they sell it all for 12v systems. Then you only need a good 12v battery and a cheep charger.