help with door slamming issue

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
Easiest would be Self Closing Hinges. You just replace the existing hinges with one or two of those. All you need is the size/shape and they screw right into the exact same spot. You don't even need to take off the door, just one hinge at a time.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_...941120011http://www.gtdoorsandlocks.com/1689/

http://www.gtdoorsandlocks.com/1678/?gclid=CJfeqpvTldQCFRxWDQodLY8N9A

The door will still slam with self closing hinges. The only options are a hydraulic door closer or installing door silencers. Door silencers are used for metal doors. If you have a metal door frame you will see little holes along the surface where the door hits the frame. Those are for the silencers. You should be able to get them online. They are just rubber grommets that fit into those holes if not you can glue them on. door banging will no longer be a problem.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The door will still slam with self closing hinges. The only options are a hydraulic door closer or installing door silencers. Door silencers are used for metal doors. If you have a metal door frame you will see little holes along the surface where the door hits the frame. Those are for the silencers. You should be able to get them online. They are just rubber grommets that fit into those holes if not you can glue them on. door banging will no longer be a problem.

Wow. This I like. I checked for the predrilled holes and do not have them but glue or a small drill will do. Love this. Cheap, quick and easy, just my style. The doors were bought here and are Everdoor brand. Checking I found that the hinges are installed with sheet rock screws, no surprise there. I was not here when they were put in. Thanks so much. You have saved me from endless arguments and looking like the complaining gringo.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Where we live there is a tremendous breeze in the afternoons. Wife's Dominican relatives are here for a while. I know that there is no chance I will ever get them to close the doors. I even tried but soon realized it was not going to work. I am not going to become the door police but the constant banging is really annoying. Is there a solution to door slamming that does not involve something complicated like hydraulic door closer mechanisms? The doors are metal. I know we must have a door expert or two.
Don't invite them over. Give them 2000 pesos and send them to the colmado. They won't come back

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Duck tape tennis balls inside the hinge side door jamb so the door can't close. Works until someone wants a tennis ball to play with..

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Don't invite them over. Give them 2000 pesos and send them to the colmado. They won't come back

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

Do you think for one second I invited them over? As far as sending them anywhere I like being married. When I proposed to my wife said she was a package deal and had "responsibilities" to her family. Dumb me, I thought I knew the definition of the word "responsibilities".

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Do you think for one second I invited them over? As far as sending them anywhere I like being married. When I proposed to my wife said she was a package deal and had "responsibilities" to her family. Dumb me, I thought I knew the definition of the word "responsibilities".

Lol !!!!
I got the sweet deal :)   Before I accepted the idea of marriage, I got  " I will marry YOU, but NOT your family "  tattooed on my knuckles ;) hehehe

I do understand the banging door thingy...... sadly I am the offender, the one who leaves the doors open :(
Our solution :  before the maid leaves, around 1400, she goes around and closes the doors, as for the ones we keep open constanly she slips the home-made-door-stops under them.
Actually, the draught (?)is sometimes so strong, it causes shut doors to slam open, and subsequently damaging the wall and/or the door. So we stuck small plastic pieces on the point of impact. Problem solved. And it dampens the sound of the impact.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Peel and stick foam weather stripping on the door frame kept cold air out in US winters and also muffled slams. Rolls of it can be ordered on Amazon.

Regards,

PJT