Help!

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
laurapasinifan said:
can I ask.....are the parents in the DR... does the BF live in the DR?

sorry if it was obvious to the rest, it wasnt to me , or i missed it. Sunny does live in the northeast(usa) ...right??

Sunny and her boyfriend live in POP, the parents live in Santiago if I'm not mistaken .....

Stay well,
Amy

L

lovesthebeach

what about a man?

I agree with the flower idea...it shows you are thoughtful and will make a good impression.

What would you suggest if you are going to visit a father for the first time...no mother in the picture? What would be a suitable gift for meeting the dad for the first time?

LTB

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
lovesthebeach said:
I agree with the flower idea...it shows you are thoughtful and will make a good impression.

What would you suggest if you are going to visit a father for the first time...no mother in the picture? What would be a suitable gift for meeting the dad for the first time?

LTB

Maybe find out if the father like cigars?

Stay well,
Amy

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
laurapasinifan said:
let me ask this: do you think that even on eof his previous girlfriends brought a house gift the first time they met the parents? I think you have it in your mind you need to bring something because you are different. Well as far as being a better girlfriend thats fine, but you are no different, in terms of how you should interact with his parents on a first meeting basis.

Anytime I've ever met someone's family, I've always, always brought a token of appreciation with me. For me, it's just manners; I would never dream of not bringing something with me.

My mama taught me well!

Thank you, everyone for the suggestions. I think I will go with the flowers after all and perhaps a small cake as Carina suggested.

I knew I could count on you guys.

I don't know why I am so nervous. My spanish is really good now but I'm afraid that I'm going to be so nervous that I'm going to mess everything up.

Wish me luck!

P.S.
AZB - was that post a cry for help? Do you need me to make a home delivery? ;)

Last edited:

linamia

"an unexamined life is not worth living"
Jan 2, 2002
www.pascual5designs.com
Sunnie Apples are also great since most people in DR get then for the holidays and apples are considered a treat there. I agree with Keith and Carina flowers are always a nice gift to get from your host.

your mom taught you well.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I am with planner, bring fine chocolates for them. I always bring chocolates to dominicans and they love me for it.
AZB

sunshine_79

Jun 1, 2005
AZB said:
I am with planner, bring fine chocolates for them. I always bring chocolates to dominicans and they love me for it.
AZB

The men as well?

Then I have another question - where is a good place to buy chocolates here?

linamia

Jan 2, 2002
www.pascual5designs.com
AZB said:
AZB

Don't forget the Box of raspberry filled Godiva when you come thru NYC on your way to Atlanta. I will love you for it ;)

I have pmed you my address lol

Sep 19, 2005
linamia said:
Don't forget the Box of raspberry filled Godiva when you come thru NYC on your way to Atlanta. I will love you for it ;)

I have pmed you my address lol

AZB is coming through NYC!!!!!!!

I want dates, times, flight numbers!

and to think all the swamps are frozen now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

back up plans!!!!!

bob

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
just don't inform the homeland security of my arrival info.
lina, you guys are out of luck in NYC area. The walmart in NYC is a huge disappointment, they have nothing on the shelves. Now if you want real american huge department stores, come to the south. Walmart in atlanta has this brand of chocolates that uses belgian chocolate in sanm's label. Its called Sam's belgian chocolate, comes in 4 flavors but I like the almond and hazelnut. The chocolate is not too sweet and has a very distinct addictive flavor. The best part of the whole deal is the price: 99 cents / 7 oz package. I usually buy a whole lot for my dominican friends. Costs me only a dollar / chocolate but the appreciation i receive from my friends is priceless.
If sunnie would to bring this chocolate for his family, she will come out a winner. Don't worry about the dad, the mom is the one who runs the show in the house.
AZB

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
sunshine_79 said:
Is the chocolate fresh?

If so, to heck with them, I want some for myself!

YES! You have all kinds...after eight, quality street, belgian, hershley...
The REAL ones.

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
I like the flowers idea, but being Christmas, maybe a basket of fresh fruit would be nice - especially imported fruits.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Charlielyn said:
I like the flowers idea, but being Christmas, maybe a basket of fresh fruit would be nice - especially imported fruits.

No fruits, if they have a cold they won't eat it. They will think you are trying to kill them! How about a nativity scene or something with a baby Jesus in it. Better yet try "surtidos" the holidays jellied candy such as gomitas and cacaitos, or dry nuts.

Cheerapplefun

Dec 15, 2005
Sunny i think you should bring flowers a nice botique of flowers would be great to set the table with and even if the parents don't like you your in the relationship because you like the guy not to make them happy you have to show the parents you don't care what they think

Cheerapplefun

sunshine_79

Jun 1, 2005
Cheerapplefun said:
Sunny i think you should bring flowers a nice botique of flowers would be great to set the table with and even if the parents don't like you your in the relationship because you like the guy not to make them happy you have to show the parents you don't care what they think

Cheerapplefun

I think I've settled on flowers and a small dessert.

He's very close to his parents and thinks the world of them so it's really important to me that things go smoothly. I care about him so that means that I automatically care about what his mom and dad think of me.

He can be a real pain in the ass but I think I'll keep him around.

Thanks for all the input, everyone.

linamia

Jan 2, 2002
www.pascual5designs.com
AZB said:
just don't inform the homeland security of my arrival info.
lina, you guys are out of luck in NYC area. AZB

As luck would have it AZB I walked into the office today and found a box of Godiva nicely wrapped on my desk. I just opened it and it is divine. I love Godiva!! But I thank you for your thoughts AZB ;)

Sunnie don't sweat it we Dominican moms are a pleasant bunch as long as you are yourself and treat them and their home with respect you shouldn't have a problem. One word of advise don't get too touchy touchy feely feely in front of the parents. This behavior is considered unpleasant when in the presence of "gente mayores" your elders

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Another word of advice.
Please sunnie, do not perform your famous Pole dance that you have learned to do in sam's bar. This would not make her mom very proud of her son.
hahahahaha. Just kidding.
AZB