Helpful Warning

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I've been under the weather for a few days, so I'm taking some antibiotics and a cough syrup called "Abrilar"

Both work very well, but this morning I was feeling a little weird so I checked my BP and it was through the roof.

Turns out Abrilar (Hedera Helix) will cause your BP to spike.

Partially my fault because I thought I could just take a swallow every time my throat was itchy, so probably went overboard.

Keep that in mind when you take Abrilar for an itchy throat.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
I bought some of that this morning! I took some about an hour ago but after reading your post I checked my BP....all normal but will definitely be wary about taking too much, thanks for the heads up!

Reactions: JD Jones

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Sorry to hear you are under the weather JD. I have the same problem when I take OTC meds for allergies/sinuses. I have to be careful as many will cause a spike in BP.

Aug 21, 2007
I've been under the weather for a few days, so I'm taking some antibiotics and a cough syrup called "Abrilar"

Both work very well, but this morning I was feeling a little weird so I checked my BP and it was through the roof.

Partially my fault because I thought I could just take a swallow every time my throat was itchy, so probably went overboard.

Go on Amazon and buy Cepacol Lozengers. I have never seen them here. I buy 2 or 3 boxes at a time and give them away to friends when they suffer throat issues. Everyone agrees they work instantly.

Reactions: Big and NanSanPedro

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I try to stay away from OTC stuff myself.
The reason doctors prescribe Abrilar is because it clears mucus from the lungs. I suffer from chronic bronchitis and the antibiotics kill the disease and the syrup gets the junk out of the lungs.
I'm a big tea/honey guy myself but it won't clear my lungs out.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Go on Amazon and buy Cepacol Lozengers. I have never seen them here. I buy 2 or 3 boxes at a time and give them away to friends when they suffer throat issues. Everyone agrees they work instantly.
This is so true. I remember them from my childhood in the last millenium. They work great and taste great too.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I try to stay away from OTC stuff myself.
The reason doctors prescribe Abrilar is because it clears mucus from the lungs. I suffer from chronic bronchitis and the antibiotics kill the disease and the syrup gets the junk out of the lungs.
I'm a big tea/honey guy myself but it won't clear my lungs out.
Are you able to find Mucinex? There is one that they make that is supposedly for those who have to watch the BP. For chest congestion (cough too) aimed at those with high blood pressure and diabetes. Although I agree the OTC stuff is not always the best solution.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Are you able to find Mucinex? There is one that they make that is supposedly for those who have to watch the BP. For chest congestion (cough too) aimed at those with high blood pressure and diabetes. Although I agree the OTC stuff is not always the best solution.
As a matter of fact, I do. I have some in my medicine cabinet. God forbid I'd try that. LOL

I think I bought it the last time I was under the weather.

Reactions: keepcoming

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

The best med I've found for an itchy throat is one that contains dextrmethorphan. It's in Broncochem Tos - jarabe or tablets.

For mucous - guafenesin has always worked great for me. I think that's in Broncochem Tos, also.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
The best med I've found for an itchy throat is one that contains dextrmethorphan. It's in Broncochem Tos - jarabe or tablets.

For mucous - guafenesin has always worked great for me. I think that's in Broncochem Tos, also.

Yep, I've tried it. Good for an itchy throat but doesn't function like an expectorant.

I forgot to mention the medications I was taking were recommended by my Doctor

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Yep, I've tried it. Good for an itchy throat but doesn't function like an expectorant.

I forgot to mention the medications I was taking were recommended by my Doctor
Yes, the dextromethorpan is only a cough suppressant. Guafenesin is an expectorant. It's available separately. Mucinex, mentioned before, is guafenesin.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Yes, the dextromethorpan is only a cough suppressant. Guafenesin is an expectorant. It's available separately. Mucinex, mentioned before, is guafenesin.
I just checked mine. Dated 2019. Time to reorder.