helping the dominican republic

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Zero waste

Handel,
While you're collecting ideas and contacts for your sustainable community, you may wish to take a look at this website and contact ZERI. They have some interesting & innovative ideas in the waste field, several of which they've done field testing for in Latin America.
Best regards,
Keith

Zero Waste Initiative

Handel

Sep 15, 2002
helping the dominican republic. More info.

I think I've been a little unfair in a sense. Looking over the past couple days I never really thought about whether any of you who have responded so kindly to my out of the blue ideas might still be in the dark about what all of this really means. The WHY? behind it all.

Well, for one, I fell in love with the D.R from the first day I was there. But I'm sure you guys know what thats like.
The country is suffering, and I feel so strongly connected to it that I feel I need to help.

Second, and even more important is that fact that as it stands, the human species is one of the most destructive, and swiftest elements the panet has ever had to sustain.
We tend to say that we're trying to save the Earth, but in truth,what we really should be saying is that we are trying to save ourselves. Because if we mess up, the Earth can easily go on without us. We on the other hand, need this current ecosystem. Its our life support system.

I mentioned all that so you can understand a little clearer my motivations.

I thought I'd post a link to the Earth Charter to give you an even better idea. VERY thought provoking.

http://www.earthcharter.org/earthcharter/charter.htm

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you want to help the DR, why not find a little school and sponsor it? Costs a few thou a year US$, gives you an excuse to visit the country and see where your bucks are going (maybe the school principle gets a new car??...that sort of thing) and will really make a difference for a few kids...

HB with his 2?

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
There is an organization in Canada called Oxfam Canada that I just became a member of. It deals with issues of sustainable development, fair trade and equality. My first meeting is next Thursday and I will let you know what kind of ideas that they have on the subject. Check into it if you can.