Hi everyone..cpl moving to boca chica

MANGOS

Jul 24, 2012
Hmmm, you're also considering living without wheels? Big mistake if you are, you'll go mad! A car is IMO the first most important item in an expats expenses, before anything else.

another one one my list...will need to pick up a cheap set of wheels just to get us from A to B...nothing fancy as long has it works...but saying that i live car free here in uk but also lived in my car in the states so had both...but yes a car like you said is a must

MANGOS

Jul 24, 2012
Where in England are you, sound like you're living in Salford or something as aweful!

Hull...as the worst unemployment rate in the country..its run down...half the shops are closed and dont even get me started on the people hahaha...its bad

actually BC does sound the same but trust me it isnt

MANGOS

Jul 24, 2012
that with the added bonus of the weather in england.rain...rain..or and more rain...taxed out your butt...water you wouldnt want to go near as its brown as ****....time to leave and lifes short.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Hull? Oh, ok, I understand, yeh you probably will be happier, even in Boca. Although I have a feeling you'll end up somewhere around the Pop, Sosua, Cabarete stretch.

Good luck, stick with it, be stubborn and you'll do alright.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
that with the added bonus of the weather in england.rain...rain..or and more rain...taxed out your butt...water you wouldnt want to go near as its brown as ****....time to leave and lifes short.

Ssshhhhhhh, I dunno about Hull, but right at this moment I'm sitting in my garden on the river with my top off in Northumberland, jinx this weather and we'll have problems buddy:devious:

MANGOS

Jul 24, 2012
Ssshhhhhhh, I dunno about Hull, but right at this moment I'm sitting in my garden on the river with my top off in Northumberland, jinx this weather and we'll have problems buddy:devious:

HaHaHa...dont get too use to it....like christmas only happens once a year and seriously you cant compare the weather here to DR?...always makes me laugh on the news if we get one day thats sunny they go crazy saying...its warmer then spain..warmer then egypt then next day your back to your winter woolies shivering..you put new on for the weather and theres no mention of .,How warm it is ,..should be more like colder then the arctic...wetter then a prostitutes ****....HaHaHa

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
As far as buying a car goes,that would be one of the last things on my "To Do List".
You can get all over this rock by taxi,buses,and friends.
Yes!,It IS possible to find a reliable,safe,trustworthy,"Taxista",and at a fair price.
Someone on DR1,MAY share their "Taxista" with you.
15 years ago,I found a prince of a taxi driver.
To make a really long story short,he cam to work for me at "La Plaza de la Salud" in SD.So did his teenage daughter,now my "God Daughter.
He now does all the hospitals banking services,and his daughter,after getting her university degree,has worked up to director of patient billing.
Now,about "Boca Chica",it is a great place to sit in a bar or restaurant on the beach and just "Chill Out",which sounds like your plan.
As far as living there,you need to have a lot of "Street Smarts",and a very big,"Live and Let Live" philosophy.
About Sosua!
You really need/must/have to,contact "KEN".He has lived there for many years.He will tell you the honest truth about living there.His condo,with pool,is on a beautiful street.You WILL, want to move in there!
AND,you will get "EDDY" for free! He is the very "unofficial" Mayor of Sosua!
Again,years of running a business,and the "King Of Chill".
I have spent many many days in Boca Chica,but I was much younger then,I drank then,and the selection of pretty "Dominicanas,and now many "Haitianas" was "Never Ending"!
Since you are a couple,you can just sit back and enjoy the show,especially at night.
Then again,you are "British",so you may want to join the "Fiesta.
PS,I don't find ANYTHING you have posted to be arrogant!
I TOO accept the apology you recieved.NOT his usual style.Maybe that,s why I quit drinking!
I will make a exception to have a beer with you.A "Presidente","Bien Fria",en "Vestido de Novia",con "Clamato"
That's really all the "Spanish" you neeed to learn to live here!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I disagree, if you don't speak Spanish getting around is a serious pain in the arse, especially on the Southcoast. Relying on others all the time for freedom wears very thin, very quickly, but horses for courses. I don't like schedules, or waiting for people.:smoke:

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Man, I'm just shaking off the cobwebs now!! An ice cold Red Eye is probably what I need.
J&Z, hopefully John is able to help you. If you need my contact for Condo Cindi let me know. This is right behind Da'Nancy, next to the galleria. Only a couple apts. with a/c and he probably has those booked.?

MANGOS

Jul 24, 2012
Thank you all for all the advice and help..were both are very grateful and hope we get to meet up for a beer or meal once were moved over... Criss you have it right we just want to sit back and relax unless there is a fiesta or were down duarte st on a Saturday ..but meeting those people you suggested would be great..learn from there experience in DR and just hang out...having a taxister as you call it would be a dream...wouldn't have to stress about a thing
thanks deyvi for contact and once there I'm sure he will be a big help with things and having someone who can speak English too is one hell of a help
..there's one question we do have and that is medical insurance that will cover prescriptions too or part of..
mad you might know Uk is free medical so we currently have no insurance and didn't want to get it here for DR ..is there anywhere local BC that we can go to get this on a monthly plan or something..

Zulu

May 27, 2012
Uhmmm interesting Boca Chica! as a long term thing, or just passing threw?

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Can we ask the price you are wanting to pay for these illegal services??? Can we ask why you arrive in Boca Chica and must go far away for your "trusted counsel"? Can we ask what mode of transportation you will be taking at Las Americas? Can we ask how you got the monies to originally come to Boca Chica? And now move here? Can we ask if you have ever been a patient in a mental institution? I have many other questions. Only one suggestion. Don't ever arrive in a loved place of mine!!!!

No. None of our business. . .

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
J&Z, Some further info. I was last in BC the 1st week of april. The best market in BC to load up on things is on Duarte. It is towards the east side before you get to the Boathouse, on the north side of street. You can get most of your necessaries there. Some colomados have cheaper prices and normally this applies to the same items you will find in the big supermarkets. In april there was a somewhat new and large colomado next to Condo Cindi. The store in the galleria tends to be cheaper for dominican products. I get my Rum and Sprite there for the beach. ( i can give you some ins outs about the beach businesses). On top of the hill, above the church, is the best meat market around!!! (hope it is still there). They have fresh pork and beef, homemade sausages etc. Very clean!!
The Boathouse is where americans and possibly english folks tend to hang. You might run into someone from Indiana. there. I like the Swiss place in the center of Duarte. Stephano, the owner has been there for years--good guy. When you want a really good steak head there. Has ribeyes and excellent filet several ways. 1st class for BC and has a dining area with a/c. This, for me now is the best place to sit in the street at night. Stepano's and the place across the street are great for breakfast. Tropical is also a good place at night. You've probably already been to these places. West on Duarte, I only go as far as the main pharmacy. Stayed in a few joints further west, but there is nothing for me that way--beach included.
The apt. in Johns' bldg. there are 3 things to know. Only the master bed room has a/c. Great apt. but the sun shines on the living room in the am and other than the bedroom the place is hot!! Not sure if it is year round, but when we were there, the church bells rang all nite, dinging what hour it was. I became used to them after a few nights. John was living there when we stayed, then rented a house for a while an then moved back. Let him deal with the owner for you. Don't have any more to do with the office than necessary and for sure don't sign a contract. She will try it, even if you rent for a week. Just tell her no!!! Great apt., good location. You can probably try it for a couple weeks. I will PM you the info for my contact a Condo Cindi. If he has something with a/c the end of august. You may want to stay there for your 1st week or so but definetly if you are staying longer term and can accept the heat and bells the other is better.

MANGOS

Jul 24, 2012
J&Z, Some further info. I was last in BC the 1st week of april. The best market in BC to load up on things is on Duarte. It is towards the east side before you get to the Boathouse, on the north side of street. You can get most of your necessaries there. Some colomados have cheaper prices and normally this applies to the same items you will find in the big supermarkets. In april there was a somewhat new and large colomado next to Condo Cindi. The store in the galleria tends to be cheaper for dominican products. I get my Rum and Sprite there for the beach. ( i can give you some ins outs about the beach businesses). On top of the hill, above the church, is the best meat market around!!! (hope it is still there). They have fresh pork and beef, homemade sausages etc. Very clean!!
The Boathouse is where americans and possibly english folks tend to hang. You might run into someone from Indiana. there. I like the Swiss place in the center of Duarte. Stephano, the owner has been there for years--good guy. When you want a really good steak head there. Has ribeyes and excellent filet several ways. 1st class for BC and has a dining area with a/c. This, for me now is the best place to sit in the street at night. Stepano's and the place across the street are great for breakfast. Tropical is also a good place at night. You've probably already been to these places. West on Duarte, I only go as far as the main pharmacy. Stayed in a few joints further west, but there is nothing for me that way--beach included.
The apt. in Johns' bldg. there are 3 things to know. Only the master bed room has a/c. Great apt. but the sun shines on the living room in the am and other than the bedroom the place is hot!! Not sure if it is year round, but when we were there, the church bells rang all nite, dinging what hour it was. I became used to them after a few nights. John was living there when we stayed, then rented a house for a while an then moved back. Let him deal with the owner for you. Don't have any more to do with the office than necessary and for sure don't sign a contract. She will try it, even if you rent for a week. Just tell her no!!! Great apt., good location. You can probably try it for a couple weeks. I will PM you the info for my contact a Condo Cindi. If he has something with a/c the end of august. You may want to stay there for your 1st week or so but definetly if you are staying longer term and can accept the heat and bells the other is better.

trying to find the best places to buy food is always a pain...i hope the meat market is still there too and will go check it out as yes its nice to eat out but after a while will eat away at your money pretty quick..i think a bi weekly trip to ole to stock up then to local places if we need the odd thing...saying that what is eating out prices comparable to say cooking yourself?..but there again with the heat over there ,cooking is like adding fuel to the fire ..we will probably be hanging out quite allot on Duarte street on a weekend night...we loved the atmosphere and chilling out with a cold beer and something to eat is just the thing for us then maybe on to disco for dancing...tried that when we were last there,im no dancer and this girl trying to learn me to latin dance or whatever it was..was priceless..poor girl i must of stood on her feet like a hundred times.
Want to try the different places to eat you mentioned,im one for good food and good quality steak...sadly something we dont get in England..it like chewing on a old boot...i got to admit i miss the steakhouses in the states..been a long time since i had a good ribeye!!
Do you have medical insurance??......ive been checking a few out online and im thinking it might be better to wait until were over to go get it from somewhere local....now can you get a policy with good prescription coverage?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Don't ever worry about the "MEAT MARKET" in BC closing!
It's ALWAYS OPEN,24/7.
But you must come early for the freshest,most tender,selections.I like VEAL!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

MANGOS

Jul 24, 2012
Don't ever worry about the "MEAT MARKET" in BC closing!
It's ALWAYS OPEN,24/7.
But you must come early for the freshest,most tender,selections.I like VEAL!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

are we talking about food or something else ?????:cheeky: