Hig?ey, any Info someone?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
A lot of people live in HIguey and La Otra Banda - the flow of worker traffic to and from the resorts is a sight to behold.

You also have Ver?n and other poorer areas like El Hoyo de Friusa. A lot of apartments are going up in Ver?n catering for workers who can't afford the middle/upper end housing.

Pueblo B?varo itself includes some very modest 2 bedroom bungalows that were on sale for about US$30,000 so the monthly rental fees are probably quite low. Some people I know are selling a larger house in that area, I can't remember exactly how much they were asking but it was at least twice that.

Reactions: caribmike

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Doing my research. Thanks for everyones input. Please continue, cannot get enough info ;)

We can do with modest, we do not need pool, a/c and such, but it has to be a house, not apartment. Being all out of the house most of the time. But it has to be concrete and safe, of course and a close yard for the dog. Internet must be available.

What about schools there and prices?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Found Friusa at last... Now I know thanks google earth the locations in the area. Ok, anyone can recommend a school in the areas Friusa, El Cortecito, Ver?n and / or La Otra Banda? Living there, where would be the closest BIG Supermarket, Hig?ey?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Schools:
I think Mike mentioned recently that Colegio Calasanz was opening in Pueblo B?varo, and there is another private school in the area, Jardin Verde, which is not as expensive as Punta Cana International School or Cap Cana Heritage. In the case of the latter I heard the prices had really gone through the roof.

Supermarkets
Closest really big supermarket is Higuey but many eastcoasters go to Jumbo in La Romana for their big shopping trips. In the B?varo area we make do with La Marqueta on the main road near Pueblo B?varo and a small branch in Pueblo B?varo in Plaza Katrina, and there is a biggish Supermercado Caribe just past the Friusa crossroads, which has a very small branch in Plaza Cueva Taino just off the Coco Loco crossroad. Manzanillo in Ver?n is OK despite its small size.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
private schools in the area:
* the one at the Veron crossing is named "Centro Educativo Cristiano de Veron", my buddies 8 years ole gal is there since years, they are very satisfied with the school, spanish and english classes, last year he paid 1500 pesos per month including the transportation from his house in Puebli Bavaro(5 minutes drive)
* there is the abobe mentioned "Jardin Verde, also bilingual, located near the Friusa crossing on your goole map, including transportation the monthly fee should range around 5000.- per month, but i am not on actual accurate numbers here, we had 2 boys there 3 years ago and took them out due to unsatisfaction with the place
* there is the new branch of "Calasanz" school in Pueblo Bavaro, that's where my 6 years old will be august 18th ahead. spanish and english classes. for him i pay 3500.- pesos per month, plus inscription of 4.000.- plus gastables 1300.- plus books for 1st class of 4.225.-(this bill i have right here aside me at the moment, lol) plus the school uniforms of around 4500.-. so to inscribe with the first month paid ahead count on around $500.-US. transportation is available but i don't need it, i live 10 minutes away on the beach in Cabeza de Toro, so i can bring him easily to school before my first fishingcustomers arrive here in the morning, and pick him up again for lunch.
* last year my boy was in preschool at "Hermanas Mirabal" in Veron, i've been very unsatisfied with that school, i name them a total rip-off, i know at least a dozen friends who took their kids out of there after the first year. no bilingual, promising since a year to have the new school building ready and running, as a matter of fact it is a stopped constructionsite, looks like they are nacrupt, at least they are looking out for people who wanna partner in their business. we paid here for preschool 1500.- per month plus 1000.- for their very unreliable and unpunctual transportation, heck, the driver of the Van for Cabeza de Toro is a teacher and the husband of the lady which owns the school, so what punctuality they would teach our kids?, ha ha.
* we have across the airport the "Centro Educatico Punta Cana", top spot, top classes, they are first line, fully bilingual, additional languages aside spanish and english also available, of course also the big bucks are asked, count on around 150.000.- per kid per year with transportation, uniforms, books aso. if you can afford to pay such rates it is the right school for your youngguns.
* Heritage in Cap Cana i have no experience with, a dutch friend of mine has his 2 girls there, very satisfied, could be better in any european school, i don't know what he exactly pays, but i know it is a bit out of my world. for the big guys sure the right spot to bring the kids.

hope that gives you an overview
Mike

Reactions: caribmike

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
After thinking a lot in education for my boy, now, what is there kids can enjoy? What places to visit enjoyable for kids?

And, how many times (June - November) someone would have to run for cover?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
yw Mason,
just reread the posting from last summer, still accurate,
and i had a heck of typos there, lol.
rates can always vary a bit from one year to the next, but due the very stable pesos-dollars exchange rate the differences are not much/reasonable.
the new Calasanz in Pueblo bavaro i mentioned above is doing a great job, very professional run, and when you compare their rates to their services and compare that to others i would say they bring the biggest value for the bucks in the area here around Punta Cana/Bavaro.
depending on available budget the Centro educativo Punta Cana and the Heritage at Cap Cana are the top Dogs on available educational level.
Mike