Highrises in Puerto Plata

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Do you ACTUALLY BELIEVE this drivel you are writing or are you just trying to be confrontational??QUOTE]
I would not be posting if I did not had confidence in my own beliefs, I'm not trying to be confrontational.

For the RICH to move into to these apartments, there would have to be WORK here for them to do - there isn't!!
I don't want rich people to move to Puerto Plata, I just want to accomodate the inevitable low cost of living demand that the soon to retire babyboomers will have. They want low living costs, sunny weather, world class golf courses, palm trees, modern amenities, and affordable health care. All those things are available in the DR more so in some areas than others. You think that the number of expats Puerto Plata is currently attracting is going to be normal for years to come?

Absolutely not, this is only the tip of the ice berg! They will come and we must accomodate them in a timely and well done manner, rather than letting them sprout out of nothing these rampant development that together form an urban sprawl. How would you like it if more "Sea Horse Ranch" type of places keep poping up along the coast? These "neighborhoods" are built on farm land, removed from the urban limits. This keeps going and then, you'll have a sprawl that covers the entire north coast. Look at Florida, you got neighborhoods all over the place, especially from the air it appears as their is no control. Wetlands are built over, forest are built over, and remove towns are become a part of other communities. You got subdivisions that look like an urban center, but its sorrounded by cow pastures that soon would be built up with some strip mall or paved over for some boulevard or built into another sub-division.

Is this what you want?

And, have you ever thought that those houses that are "empty" and still for sale will be all occupied once the wave of expat comes in? The housing stock is very limited, especially when the expats get that tingly feeling of living in Northern Hispaniola.

Capatalists go BANKRUPT too you know, especially when they try to put an idea into force that is at LEAST 10 years ahead of it's time!! Lets get the "For Sale" properties sold first, let's get a DEMAND for properties & the income level to a stage where people can AFFORD to buy/rent these 'Highrises'. Let's get the barrios redesigned with 3 story level apartments for the lower paid & get rid of the Squallor/wood built with zinc rooves/10 to a house 40' x 40' first!!
Those squallors/wood built with zinc roofs will be self eliminated as more employment comes into the area by the influx of expats buying apartments and condominiums.

My plan is not to bring the poor out of poverty, its to accomodate a soon to be demand before its too late. Once a demand is in full swing, at that point its too late to really start to build anything. Look at Malecon Center, they started building when demand was at its zenith for apartments in SDQ and now that they are practically finished, the trend has passed! Things must be done BEFORE the trend sets in to make THE MOST PROFITS!

Lucky for the Malecon Center folks, things are starting to turn around, so now they are in the best possible scenerio. Complete project ready for profit making right at the start of the next boom. That is the best position to be in.

Anyway, Highrises in Puerto Plata won't work for ar least another 10 years so I suggest you sleep it off until 2012, see what the economy of the country is then & MAYBE contemplate puting your ideas up then IF Puerto Plata has the possibility of the demand by that time!! ~ GWB
Don't undermine my intuition on things. That intuition of mine is what has gotten myself into some very favorable positions and I got that from my father and grand father and great grandfather, whose own tuition got us to where we are today in this country.

I suggest for you to check my post where I make the predictions on the outcome of the DR economy overall. Start with my posts from September of 2003 and read on from there. You will notice that while most people were seriously underestimating the possibility of the DR to come back and grossly overdoing it with their opinion on the crisis, I always held my beliefs back up with some reliable and sometimes confidential sources, and in the end, in the long run, I prove to be correct.

That is one thing that I find that happens very much with me. I don't believe this, it just happens this way. I tend to always be correct when it comes to long term deals. With me, Long term is from a year forward. Check it out, it might make you realize that I am not "beyond our time", as I have been told numberous times and I have proven them wrong numerous times also.

Argo

*** Sin Bin ***
Aug 5, 2004
Nal0whs said:
Do you ACTUALLY BELIEVE this drivel you are writing or are you just trying to be confrontational??QUOTE]
I would not be posting if I did not had confidence in my own beliefs, I'm not trying to be confrontational.

Absolutely not, this is only the tip of the ice berg! They will come and we must accomodate them in a timely and well done manner, rather than letting them sprout out of nothing these rampant development that together form an urban sprawl. How would you like it if more "Sea Horse Ranch" type of places keep poping up along the coast? These "neighborhoods" are built on farm land, removed from the urban limits. This keeps going and then, you'll have a sprawl that covers the entire north coast. Look at Florida, you got neighborhoods all over the place, especially from the air it appears as their is no control. Wetlands are built over, forest are built over, and remove towns are become a part of other communities. You got subdivisions that look like an urban center, but its sorrounded by cow pastures that soon would be built up with some strip mall or paved over for some boulevard or built into another sub-division.

Have you started building or at least buying up property for your, ah, well..how do I say this: LOW INCOME HI RISES?

Is this what you want?

And, have you ever thought that those houses that are "empty" and still for sale will be all occupied once the wave of expat comes in? The housing stock is very limited, especially when the expats get that tingly feeling of living in Northern Hispaniola.

And that will happen on or about 23 April, 2010, correct?

My plan is not to bring the poor out of poverty, Good God, what a wonderful thought: Help the poor rise out of poverty, in God's name keep them poor so they can buy, well those LOW INCOME HI RISES its to accomodate a soon to be demand before its too late. Once a demand is in full swing, at that point its too late to really start to build anything. Look at Malecon Center, they started building when demand was at its zenith for apartments in SDQ and now that they are practically finished, the trend has passed! Things must be done BEFORE the trend sets in to make THE MOST PROFITS!

Lucky for the Malecon Center folks, things are starting to turn around, so now they are in the best possible scenerio. Complete project ready for profit making right at the start of the next boom. That is the best position to be in.

Don't undermine my intuition on things. That intuition of mine is what has gotten myself into some very favorable positions and I got that from my father and grand father and great grandfather, whose own tuition got us to where we are today in this country. Where is that beside never never land?

I suggest for you to check my post where I make the predictions on the outcome of the DR economy overall. Start with my posts from September of 2003 and read on from there. You will notice that while most people were seriously underestimating the possibility of the DR to come back and grossly overdoing it with their opinion on the crisis, I always held my beliefs back up with some reliable and sometimes confidential sources, and in the end, in the long run, I prove to be correct. Correct about waht? It appears with the flucuation in exchange rates, the DR economy is falling faster than even Hippo could accomplish
That is one thing that I find that happens very much with me. I don't believe this, it just happens this way. I tend to always be correct when it comes to long term deals. With me, Long term is from a year forward. Check it out, it might make you realize that I am not "beyond our time", as I have been told numberous times and I have proven them wrong numerous times also.

Always correct, where have I heard that before, the "Final solution"

I can only ask that being always correct, "where you are now in the country" etc etc, why don't you just buy the island and make it over in your formula?

A>

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Argo said:
Always correct, where have I heard that before, the "Final solution"

I can only ask that being always correct, "where you are now in the country" etc etc, why don't you just buy the island and make it over in your formula?

A>

1. The island is not for sale.

2. Again, I try to not believe that I am always correct, but every prediction I make after close analysis of the situation ends up becoming reality. Its hard to ignore such bizzare occurences in life, so I am beginning to believe that I am always correct, because I prove to myself and others such thing over and over again. And, I truly believe that if I was not able to do such thing, I would not have been where I am economically, socially, etc, which in short is the life most people would take if it was given to them.

3. Highrises in POP are not going to be geared towards the locals, so why build low income highrises? That is just blight in the making, have you seen the co-ops in NYC?

However, have you seen the towers in Bal Harbor, Florida? There is an obvious difference!

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
There is a reason why I didn't study architecture: I would have never gotten a job here. The odd mixture of styles, mostly rococo, neo-clasic and god-knows-what thrown together that I see around me (or right around me) is depressing. It is sad that we never went around to actually create a sensible style that fits our culture and climate. Sigh... let's not go there. :tired:

Nal0whs, I love your naivet? combined with juvenile enthusiasm. Others have said it, but it bears repeating: Puerto Plata zoning laws is the least of the problems with your idea. Forget about high rises been cheap living. It is not. Forget about tourist from Chicago or New York coming here for the high rises and the great architectural treasures of post-modern architecture, they have that at home, and if they want that they can to go Miami. Forget about anti-seismic construction methods, they are not even been employed in Santo Domingo!

How do you think a few high-rises would fit in Ciudad Colonial? Puerto Plata city planning is akin to Ciudad Colonial, steep and narrow streets with already moderate to heavy traffic. Nah, wouldn't work.

But if you must insist, please take this into consideration: Monte Cristi has no zoning laws. You can drop the next Malecon Center right there.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Nals,
There comes a point in time when you can have TOO MANY expats in one place, living like kings, whilst the indigenous Dominican population is suffering.
It is MORE important to tackle poverty first, help poor Dominicans become less poor. Otherwise, you have a potentially very dangerous situation of foreign 'haves' & Dominican 'have-nots' & that can lead to an unsafe situation, such that your foreign 'haves' feel obliged to move out. The advantage of places like Sea Horse Ranch, is that the inequality is less visible. But put rich foreigners slap bang in the middle of Puerto Plata in highrises...that is not just visible, it is in your face. Not a good idea.

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
The most beuetiful, multi-story modern building in Puerto Plata is . . . . . . . . .

The now defunct Baniter bank . . . . I rest my case . . . .

-Lee

PS: Sorry, only time for a one liner, but it still says a lot.