Higuey for a noob

Status
Not open for further replies.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
From post #10: I'm bilingual French and my spanish accent rivals any latino. So cram your gringo talk.

Nice nattering nitpicking there, Bob.

A Spanish accent to "rival any Latino" during the conversations he "doesn't know enough Spanish to feel comfortable" enough to have. You guys must be related. Nope. You'll need to "cram" your own.

boga

Nov 16, 2011
Hello,

I'm a Canadian and feel your frustration with people offering their two cents when no asked! Your relationship is your business. Go with your gut. If you're happy and confident then roll with it. :)

With regards to your question... I'm not a huge fan of Higuey. I'm a black 25 year old female and my husband lives in Higuey. For some reason he has no desire to be anywhere but Higuey. Over the years i've grown to like it a bit more. But it definitely isn't a comfortable place to be if you haven't had any experience with that lifestyle. Personally, I grew up in a city very much like Higuey (lack of steady electricity/water, unpaved roads etc) and I think that's the only reason I'm able to stay there without freaking out or having an emotional breakdown. There's something sweet about it. But having lived in both situations, "third world" city and modern city in Canada, I can tell you you'll have some HUGE adjusting to do. You'd be better off in La Romana or Punta Cana/Bavaro. But with Punta Cana you wouldnt get a true sense of the country. I used to love it there but now i'm over it. Too many tourists.

On to the safety part... there's crime everywhere in the world. I don't think that Higuey poses any huge safety concerns. She's a local so she'll be fine. You however... I don't know. I'm black but somehow i always stand out as a tourist when i'm there. It'll be even worse for you :). I havent had any safety issues but i'm always aware of my surroundings and my husband's always worried cuz i guess he knows what the locals are like. We always walk really closely together. Hands held. He forbids me to open the gate for anyone if he's not around. If I ever need to go anywhere without him, he has friends that he'll ask to look out for me. One thing i've noticed as a woman though... The men there are aggressive. If they want something, they do what needs to be done to get it. So before you get yourself caught up make sure she's for real. Jealousy makes people go NUTS there. REALLY sorry to even suggest this... but i wanna get my point across... If she has any other guy in her life that doesn't know about you and then somehow finds out about you... that's probably the biggest safety issue you'll have.

My husband's had friends shot/stabbed within metres of his home (where I usually stay when i visit). I've had him hang up the phone abruptly when talking to me because of fights of some sort happening outside his door. So I guess it isnt the safest place. But Higuey's relatively big. There are lots of pockets. I've walked around with him and seen beautiful homes with SUVs that I can't afford and tall gates and watch dogs. It all depends on where you find this new home. You'd need to take 2 to 3 weeks to go down there and see what it's like. I'm assuming you'd probably end up paying around 5000 pesos/month for somewhere comfortable and safe. If you're quoted less, you might want to rethink the area. But at the same time, you should have your girlfriend do the negotiating/apartment hunting cuz they'll quote you 10,000 just cuz you're a tourist.

Hope that answers your question. I'll be in Higuey soon and i'm so excited! :)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Originally Posted by bob saunders
From post #10: I'm bilingual French and my spanish accent rivals any latino. So cram your gringo talk.

A Spanish accent to "rival any Latino" during the conversations he "doesn't know enough Spanish to feel comfortable" enough to have. You guys must be related. Nope. You'll need to "cram" your own. -------------------------------------------------------------
You don't know him or her, probably know Hiquey as well as I do, which is just passing through, but " you do know enough" to offer advice.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Boga, welcome.

I love your 1st post here but as for her doing the negotiationg for him uh let's just say I've seen that not work before. Your description of Higuey was so good I could smell the air there when reading it.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Originally Posted by bob saunders

A Spanish accent to "rival any Latino" during the conversations he "doesn't know enough Spanish to feel comfortable" enough to have. You guys must be related. Nope. You'll need to "cram" your own. -------------------------------------------------------------
You don't know him or her, probably know Hiquey as well as I do, which is just passing through, but " you do know enough" to offer advice.

Geez, Bob!

The advice has nothing to do with Higuey. They could be talking about moving to the Moon. It has to do with what is and what is not a logically sound decision regarding commitment of personal finances into a questionable series of romantic encounters which may or may not constitute a relationship.

My advice is not for you, Bob. Ignore it. :p

boga

Nov 16, 2011
Fair enough. Well i'm no expert on Higuey but I think a local's better off when it comes to negotiating price than a tourist would be... Gender aside.
I will say tho... my negotiating skills in Santo Domingo have yielded AMAZING results :)

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Boga, welcome.

I love your 1st post here but as for her doing the negotiationg for him uh let's just say I've seen that not work before. Your description of Higuey was so good I could smell the air there when reading it.

Ditto on the Higuey post. I'm also not a big fan of Higuey, but couldn't have said it like you did. Please post more, we could use your perspective!

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Here's the unperplexing part; He met her on several trips to SANTO DOMINGO and has probably never been to Higuey.

You can't make this sh!t up. nothing Granted, I didn't get very far away from the downtown area but I got the distinct impression that if there was a "Chicago" in the D.R. it would be in Higuey.

I'm just saying.....

Have you been to Chicago??

Totally agree with you on the description of Higuey, but Chicago has too much to offer to even be mentioned as something comparable to Higuey. I'd recommend moving there in a hearbeat if Higuey had so much to offer, but it doesn't.

just saying . . . .

Preston

Nov 13, 2011
" . . . but I would love to hear some input from a non-Dominican or a Dominican who has experience with sort of thing."

Sir,

Please SLOW DOWN. It's nice that you are concerned about her saftey, but you should really be more concerned with your own. I'm an American and I've been travelling to DR frequently since '05. I usually stay with a Dominican friend of mine when I'm there. He lives in a gated community and I personally know three women who live in apartments furnished and subsidized by nice guys like you. I've seen other men enter and leave these apartments and they were not the men on the lease (I also know the leasing agent.)

"After a few trips to DR?" I've seen this too many times before; I've even been there myself. Seriously, what do you really KNOW about each other? I am not trying to rain on your parade and I sincerely hope that your lady is truly into YOU. But what if she isn't? I am eternally grateful to my Dominican friends who warned me about those other possibilities. They weren't as discouraging as some of the other comments you received. Still, that doesn't mean that their advice is wrong. What I appreciate a lot about DR1 is that generally folks try to help each other with advice and opinions on things, which is based mostly on their experiences. I urge you to take your time and continue to get to know her very well before you make that kind of commitment. But I would not get an apartment with her until you are living in DR permanently.

Good luck!

Preston

Last edited:

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Have you been to Chicago??

Totally agree with you on the description of Higuey, but Chicago has too much to offer to even be mentioned as something comparable to Higuey. I'd recommend moving there in a hearbeat if Higuey had so much to offer, but it doesn't.

just saying . . . .

The comparison was a reference to the mercantile exchange and the scale is like comparing pennies to Benjamins. Chicago is huge and has outgrown its "America's armpit" image from back in the days when the stockyards, slaughterhouses and rail yards were the centers of industry there. Higuey is not comparable in scale, only in purpose and my comparison should be interpreted loosely, as in the Chicago of the 19th Century.

178704-cattle-chicago-stockyards-c-1900.jpeg

It seems that the cane and the fruit and the chickens and the beef and the eggs and whatever other agricultural product you can think of passes through Higuey. Everyone I saw there was buying or selling, thus the reference. I've been to Chicago a lot and it's nothing like it was once.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Hello,

I'm a Canadian and feel your frustration with people offering their two cents when no asked!

Soooooo.....ummmmmm.....just so you know........
This is a f-o-r-u-m, so when you open a thread and ask a question.....you are asking.

If you don't want to hear what we have to say, read through the threads, pick the posters most likely to tell you what you want to hear, and then....PM them.

It's that simple!

Don't want to hear what Shalena has to say?.....don't open a thread.
How 'bout Greydread, Criss Colon, Tambo.....sick of them too?!? Don't open a thread!

No lo puedo poner mas claroooooo.

SHALENA

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
The comparison was a reference to the mercantile exchange and the scale is like comparing pennies to Benjamins. Chicago is huge and has outgrown its "America's armpit" image from back in the days when the stockyards, slaughterhouses and rail yards were the centers of industry there. Higuey is not comparable in scale, only in purpose and my comparison should be interpreted loosely, as in the Chicago of the 19th Century.

It seems that the cane and the fruit and the chickens and the beef and the eggs and whatever other agricultural product you can think of passes through Higuey. Everyone I saw there was buying or selling, thus the reference. I've been to Chicago a lot and it's nothing like it was once.

Yes, I think it's a very fitting comparison.

Thanks for the lesson, especially for those of us who weren't able to be there in the 19th century! :D

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
OK, Well I am an English woman who has lived in Higuey with my Dominican Husband for 7 years. I cant say I am a fan, but for business reasons I stay here.

1) It is far from a tourist spot, I actually remember passing through Higuey before i lived here on my way to La Romana and remember thinking to myself "What a crazy place!" Little did i know at that point that within a year I would be living there. The fact it is not a tourist spot has its advantages and disadvantages. Only a handful of ex-pats live here and I only know of one italian.

Allthough it is no Santo Domingo, you can find most things here and at a better cost than in Punta Cana and without all the travelling back and forth. On the down side make sure a Dominican goes to the furniture store first to enquire about prices and get them written down first, so you can then return and clean up or you will be ripped of quicker than you can say "stupid gringo"!

2) Security for yourself is a HUGE issue here. There is only one gated community and that is for home owners only, no renting. I myself and every other ex-pat who has lived here has had an intruder in their home, some more than once.

She does not have to worry about security, only when you are with her. Not being mean just telling you the truth.

3) I have a know ALOT of people here and I know the type of women. She will NOT be alone when you are not here. I am not saying 100% it will be a man or men, but I would put money on that it will be. Sorry but Higueyanas are the biggest hustlers of them all!!

4) However if you hell bent on living with her, I would suggest La Romana, its closer for her to travel to work in Santo Domingo and much better for you. The beach is near and its cleaner.

5)There are good areas in Higuey, but few and allthough they are considered "better" they are excessable to everyone. I live in one of those areas but pay $25,000 a month in rent.

6) Good Luck...your gonna need it! Again not being rude, but I know better than anyone on this site about Higuey and its people. For a second opinion ask RubioHiguey for a male perspective.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
I guess this isn't a good time to say I'm also moving to Higuey, I met a nice Church going girl on HigueyCupid, shes a virgin too... "moving to Higueya soon gonna be a dental floss tycoon"

boga

Nov 16, 2011
Re the post by SKing....
You've picked a battle with the wrong person. Grow the hell up. Being on a forum doesn't mean u need to be a prick. How would u feel if someone sat and dissected your life and made disrespectful comments about things that are important to you? At no point did the original poster ask anyone to bash his relationship. If u care to give ur opinion then give it based on what's being asked. No need to get nasty. Check urself. Don't come here trying to pick fights and put ppl against each other over nothing :s. At no point did I mention being "sick" of anyone. Stay in your lane pls and thx

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Re the post by SKing....
You've picked a battle with the wrong person. Grow the hell up. Being on a forum doesn't mean u need to be a prick. How would u feel if someone sat and dissected your life and made disrespectful comments about things that are important to you? At no point did the original poster ask anyone to bash his relationship. If u care to give ur opinion then give it based on what's being asked. No need to get nasty. Check urself. Don't come here trying to pick fights and put ppl against each other over nothing :s. At no point did I mention being "sick" of anyone. Stay in your lane pls and thx

My life has been dissected plenty on this site. Some people assume correctly, some people assume incorrectly. A forum is full of all kinds of people, including b*tches like myself. As my mother used to say and I'm sure you've heard "If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen".
Hundreds of threads have been started on this site asking a particular question, and getting different answers and opinions....again, don't like it? Dont.......open......a.....thread.
It's not rocket science.

Y'all people really trip me out....don't want relationship advice but open a thread with 2-3 paragraghs about your man or woman. Jesus!

One thing that you will learn about me soon is that I so not discriminate, I do not mince my words, and I don't get hurt by personal insults. It was bred into ne as a child by my father that I am the best, therefore the sh*t you are spitting is hitting a brick wall. Now, you can cone back with all kinds of insults but I will continue to know that I rock so in the end, you become the unintelligent one.
To the OP.....again, there is a thing called PM. I suggest you use it if you only want to hear from certain people.

BTW. Not much, but I gotz 4 years on this thread....you.....not so much. So who is in who's lane?

SHALENA

P.S.
Don't like what I have to say? You have 2 options.....
1) Go crying to Robert like the rest....or
2) Get in line with the rest of the b*tches waiting for me to give a sh*t

HAVE A GOOD MORNING!:)

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Been hoping this question would be answered, but doesn't seem to be, so what's a noob? Not a Newbie as it is used, so what's a noob?
Der Fish

New as an active member in DR1 discussion forums. "Newbie/Noob" around here. :classic:

boga

Nov 16, 2011
My life has been dissected plenty on this site. Some people assume correctly, some people assume incorrectly. A forum is full of all kinds of people, including b*tches like myself. As my mother used to say and I'm .........

You must be one hell of a miserable person to find joy in being a b*tch. Forgive me for not bowing to you cuz u've sat around being horrible to ppl on a forum while accumulating cyber friends. I didn't realize I needed to ask ur permission to comment. Fact remains you're disrespectful. As u can see I don't "mince words" either so if u wanna show off ur inner bully you picked the wrong one. I'm not on here looking for no one's input. I commented on what was askedddd. I'm not God. Handle your childhood issues elsewhere. I won't even get into it on here with you. I'll RESPECT the person's post and allow others to reply to their question. Good night

Status
Not open for further replies.