Holiday handouts...

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Many [not all, don't start throwing tomatoes at me] Dominicans don't use their ovens for anything except storage of pots.

One day I was about to bake one of those frozen semi-baked baguette they sell at the supermarket. The instructions said to pre-heat the oven for 10 minutes. I turned on the oven and went to my room. After 5 minutes or so the house was full of smoke and I was freaking out. When I opened the oven I realized the cleaning lady had stored all the pans and pots in the oven, and the handles were melting....grrrr

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It's not that they do't like "PAVO", it's that they would rather buy more "Romo" when the bottle in their "Canasta"
runs dry!!!
About half an hour after they receive it!
I'll make one last trip to the supermarket on Sunday, or Monday, then I'll venture out again on the next Sunday, then I;ll stay home until Jan. 7th. or 8th.!
That has kept me alive here for many, many years!
Everyone from,"8 to 80, Blind, crippled, or Crazy" will be DRUNK during that time period!
Then we can all stay home again during "Semana Santa"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Dominicans DON'T Have a "Drinking Problem"!
They Drink, They Get Drunk,....."No Problem"!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :knockedou:knockedou then,:hurt::hurt:, then,:dead::dead::dead:

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Is it the law that 13th month wages are only paid to non-domestic employees of businesses? That's what I was told, but perhaps I misunderstood?

So to be certain that we don't accidentally make a maid think she is an employee, we were advised to not give her extra in that way. But nothing stopping us from giving "gifts" (and a Canasta), correct?

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Canasta contents?

We bought a pre-made Canasta last year at the Supermercado. But I thought some of the items seemed strange and perhaps not that "special".

So this year I am considering making it myself. What would be the nicest things to put in it? And what is considered traditionally included? CC seems to think a handle of Brugal would be a good start, but is that really what is done?

And what does a "Pig on a Stick" cost? (sorry don't know what those are actually called) That might be a nice gift, no? She has a huge extended family, so I know they could consume it all. I don't think Pavo is something she eats.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I suggest that you give her one months salary,(If she has worked the full 2012) in Supermercado, or La Sirena, gift certificates.
They come in 500 peso certificates.Buy however many you wish.
They can then by food,candy,"Booze", or what ever they want.
They can sell them if the so choose.
If an EX-Maid, goes to the dept. of work, or whatever they call it here, you will usually given an amount yoU haVE TO PAY HER
Unless she abandoded her job.
Just give her the money, or gift cert., and be done with it.
Many will not return in Jan. anyway.
A Dominican with money in their pocket seems to forget that once it's gone, it's gone.
cccccccccccccccccccccccc

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
well, i am as stingy as it gets but i give maid her double wages :) and a bottle of ron. off she goes, hoy se bebe!
pig is nice and probably fitting both in dominican christmas food tradition and price wise it is kinda like a double wage: a whole pig on a stick (puerco asado, it is called, i think) is few thousand pesos (depending on a size).
i would not go for canasta. bought ones are probably too fancy for normal dominicans (really, anchovies and picked onions?) and self made would be most likely hopeless (alcohol, sweets, what else?) unless you do a real life government canasta (apart from ron and sweets it contains rice, spaghetti, beans, oil and so on).

ha ha, such a long pointless way of saying: give her cash, damn! ;) ;)

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I suggest that you give her one months salary,(If she has worked the full 2012) in Supermercado, or La Sirena, gift certificates.
They come in 500 peso certificates.Buy however many you wish.
They can then by food,candy,"Booze", or what ever they want.
They can sell them if the so choose.
If an EX-Maid, goes to the dept. of work, or whatever they call it here, you will usually given an amount yoU haVE TO PAY HER
Unless she abandoded her job.
Just give her the money, or gift cert., and be done with it.
Many will not return in Jan. anyway.
A Dominican with money in their pocket seems to forget that once it's gone, it's gone.
cccccccccccccccccccccccc

This mentality has frustrated the HELL out of me in the past week alone...

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Back in the state I had about $200 put aside for people who have served and protected us. Like garbage men, mail man, fire fighters and etc... Is DR same as well?
I want to be nice to our two watchies and Garbage man if I see them and donate a little more to my wife's favorite charity once we go back to state. Do you guys give out little extra during the holidays? How much should I pay watchie and garbage man?

Yes, we always set something aside for the garbage men, the mailman, the newspaper guy, etc. There isn't an exact sum on what you should give these people. What you give depends on how much you make and also on how good their service was during the year.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I agree with you. I think a lot of them don't have a clue how to roast a Turkey, almost everything they cook is done on the stovetop. Many [not all, don't start throwing tomatoes at me] Dominicans don't use their ovens for anything except storage of pots.

Well, it's more about tradition! Many of us just don't associate Christmas with turkey but with a pig. Then, there's chicken for those who can't afford a pig or have had bad experiences with pork on previous holidays.

By the way, I use my oven all the time! :p

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Well, it's more about tradition! Many of us just don't associate Christmas with turkey but with a pig. Then, there's chicken for those who can't afford a pig or have had bad experiences with pork on previous holidays.

By the way, I use my oven all the time! :p

I agree.Plus the majority of Dominicans do not use their ovens because of the cost of cooking gas.
It's more economical for them to cook the food on the stovetop versus baking,roasting the food
in the oven for hours.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Mi Suegra", who lives with us, as well as "Mi Suegro", bakes several times a week.
Roast chicken, pork, caserolas, and "Pudins".
I do Turkeys from time to time.
One christmas, I did a 20 pounder!)
I baked it in one of those disposable aluminium roasting pans. After many hours, it was "Golden Brown"!
As I removed the turkey from the oven, the pan buckled.I saved the turkey from the floor, but not all the "Drippings".
I was,of course, Distraught!
They eat it ALL!
I just think "Pierna" is their tradition, like turkey is "Ours"!
Every Christmas, I am asked to make, "Stuffing","Corn Au Gratin"( Cheesy Corn Caserole) and even "Gravy".
Family does all the "Dominican traditional dishes.
I "pig out" until Jan. 2nd.
Then I starve for months!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Lots of Dominicans who don't have "Ovens" get their "Pierna" cooked at bakeries.
Like Bostonians did with their "BEANS", before they all had ovens.
CCCC
"FISH", millions of people (Including Me!!)do, or have, done both!

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Lots of Dominicans who don't have "Ovens" get their "Pierna" cooked at bakeries.
Like Bostonians did with their "BEANS", before they all had ovens.
CCCC
"FISH", millions of people (Including Me!!)do, or have, done both!

ahhhh.... I got an ... ah... ! U got a couple of gallons of BBQ sauce and a large BBQ pit? Feed the family and get a rug out of it too. :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have an oven and i'm not afraid to use it! :)
alas, it is too small. as a part of his canasta miesposo received a pierna, as big as mine, nearly ;)
we had to give it to my in laws, papi takes it to his finca to be properly cooked. that's some of the holiday food sorted. something tells me i'll be leaving the dinner with more food i'm bringing in! :)