Holiday Pay

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
if everybody would pay their people a livable wage, maybe crime would go down as well?

how can you expect anybody to do an honest day of work, if he or she know the pay will be not enough to get a meal on the table?

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
I wish the gardner who lives on the premises we rent now to stop working at 6 in the morning (dogs barking like hell)! Since he does not fall under my employment, I can only ask nicely to put his hours a bit later but doesn't seem to sink in. Anybody an idea?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
if everybody would pay their people a livable wage, maybe crime would go down as well?

how can you expect anybody to do an honest day of work, if he or she know the pay will be not enough to get a meal on the table?

Do you honesty believe that people work harder when they make more money. My experience has been those with good work ethics work hard no matter what the remuneration. Money will not make lazy people work hard. As far as crime, criminals don't want to work for their money, they would rather steal yours.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
please, save me this living wage BS. we pay 1700 every two weeks (plus breakfast) for cleaning and ironing. few hours each time, tops. there is no cooking, washing or other house work. i think this is pretty much a decent pay for someone who can hardly read and write, don't you think so?

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
please, save me this living wage BS. we pay 1700 every two weeks (plus breakfast) for cleaning and ironing. few hours each time, tops. there is no cooking, washing or other house work. i think this is pretty much a decent pay for someone who can hardly read and write, don't you think so?

Nop I don't think so...

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
people that work hard and have pride in their work should be rewarded. of course life does not work that way. but in the civilized world a person can work at a menial job and not have to steal to survive. those that steal choose to steal. I know a few people here that if I would be in their position and had the responsibility for kids or sick family they do, I am thinking I might be enticed by some methods of survival I would never contemplate otherwise.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Do you honesty believe that people work harder when they make more money. My experience has been those with good work ethics work hard no matter what the remuneration. Money will not make lazy people work hard. As far as crime, criminals don't want to work for their money, they would rather steal yours.

Do you honestly think that people who earn today the same wages that they were paid 5 years ago will continue to work as hard as they used to? Money will indeed no make lazy people work harder, but stubborn refusal of some employers giving benefits to loyal employees during years just because the 'law' is there but nothing is enforced, will make your most loyal employee think twice after long enough of that kind of behavior.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009

not my point at all. I said people will do an honest job if they get honest, or decent pay. You claim that someone will work just as hard for 150 rds per day,which will not feed anybody in their family, and be just as loyal as someone who gets 500 rds per day (a decent wage for a menial job). BS

as far as crime goes... if you have a family to feed, and you do not get paid a decent wage... temptation will be big

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
not my point at all. I said people will do an honest job if they get honest, or decent pay. You claim that someone will work just as hard for 150 rds per day,which will not feed anybody in their family, and be just as loyal as someone who gets 500 rds per day (a decent wage for a menial job). BS

as far as crime goes... if you have a family to feed, and you do not get paid a decent wage... temptation will be big

My experience offer up different results. I have worked as a commercial fisherman, logger, Forestry engineering, construction, and aircraft mechanic, as well as a crew chief, maintenance superintendent, and comptroller. Farm chores as a kid. I have worked with many poor people, indeed I lived a number of years with no plumbed water or electricity. People will steal to feed their families, but the majority of theft is not done by poor people to feed their families, it's done by somebody that wants something that they didn't earn.

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
I wish the gardner who lives on the premises we rent now to stop working at 6 in the morning (dogs barking like hell)! Since he does not fall under my employment, I can only ask nicely to put his hours a bit later but doesn't seem to sink in. Anybody an idea?

Acira, if he is any good at gardening, get up at five and wait and then grab him, wrap him up, send him on the early bus east and give me a heads up. I have some tools ready.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Last Time I Checked,EVEN In The DR, Doctors have More Education Than "Maids"!

In the DR,if you pay an employee above the going rate,they think you are stupid,and start doing less work!
YOU NEED TO KEEP THEM,"Lean & Mean"!

I made the "Newbee" mistake of treating "Help" like family when I moved here 20 years ago.
You don't get a better employee,you get an employee that thinks,"This guy is stupid,I can start to take advantage of him"!
They start to steal food,and anything else they can get their hands on.
We only hire "Haitianas",because they know if they steal,you will call the police and they will go to jail,or worse yet,be deported to Haiti.
"Evangelicas" are also good,because they work hard,and don't steal,because GOD punishes thieves!
Treat them with common courtesy,and pay the "Going Rate",.No Problems.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Not a popular position to defend CC, But I concur (pls note the 2 c's)

Concur w/ CC

Small things amuse small minds...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
sometimes i like to give dr1 a reality check by telling our workers what gringos say here :)
in this case they all agree what we pay our maid is a good rate and they laugh at "stupid gringos" who overpay for everything. dominicans know what their work is worth. they realize that the pay they receive is adequate to their skills. granted, they would all like to be paid more, who would not, but they are realistic and they know what is the top pay the may receive for whatever services they give.please, folks, do not try to complicate things by talking about living wages. dominicans are capable of living on a little, very little, in gringo's eyes. a gringo spends few thousand dollars a month to maintain the family, a dominican will do the same for few thousand pesos. it is not a comfy life but it is their life. most know no better.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Hmmm, we have over a dozen gringos posting 35 posts, trying to decide whether or not to pay the lady US$ 11.50, and still no answer.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I agree with CC. We pay our live-in maid 10,000 including transport (she lives in SD). That's more than enough. We have had several maids the past 1,5 year, for me as European it's not been so easy to handle uneducated, low-class, short-term looking employees, I granted them internet access (yes, we had a maid with her own laptop and who was capable of downloading (!) youtube videos to watch them offline later) which made her rush cleaning and cooking to use the internet in her room. I ask them politely if they could bring me a coke or get it myself, if they bring me a dirty glass I change it myself, but the result is that they think you are stupid and start taking advantage of you. Same with salary. If you are generous they ask you for an advance each month, which they expect to be a gift when the payday is there. I learned: this is your pay, you do what I want, holidays you work until noon and on saturdays until 1pm. Even if they are ready early on saturday: you leave at 1, if not, next week they wake up at 5, rush cleaning, prepare lunch at 9 am and at 10 they want to leave. Maids are like children, you need to set very clear boundaries, you can NOT treat them like equal and neither as you would treat a low class employee in your own country. You can't even let them eat the expensive Goude cheese, cause they put 5 layers on each sandwich, one of them even ate the gouda cheese herself and made my sandwich with some local cheese. Lesson learned: be clear and show the difference between them and yourself. Doesnt mean we are mean, but clear.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It's good To See So many Who Believe That "Overpaying" Employees Is Not Good For The

Dominican economy.It is not even good for the employee being overpaid!
They will tell their family and friends about their "Good Fortune".
Then they will become the "Go Too" person when those same people are looking for a"Hand Out".
They can't help everyone.Those left out will be mad at them!

If you can find all the maids you want for 5,000 pesos a month,and no maids at 4,000 a month,then 5,000 is the correct amount to pay.
You,"Live and Learn" in the DR!

When I stayed at he Naco Hotel in SD for 6 months before I bought my house,I was a "Good Tipper" to the maids,bar tender,and waiters. Their service was "Dominican" (That means VERY poor,slow,and getting worse over time!)
An older,"Dominican Hand",told me,"Stop tipping all the time!" If a Dominican sees the same good tip everytime,they take the tip for granted,and put you at the end of their list!
He was RIGHT! When you "Keep-Them-Guessing",they "sometimes" give better service!

When I used to treat maids as members of the family,"Come sit at the table with us",give them some salami to take home,give them my kids too small clothing,give them "change" to get home,and even,"advance" their pay if they asked,all I got in thanks was to be taken advantage of!

One maid asked if her 5 year old daughter could stay with her during the week.Like a "Gringo Fool",I said "YES"!
My wife thought she was stealing food.One Saturday,as the maid had her bags packed to go home for the weekend,my wife sent the maid on an errand.We looked in her bags.Cooking oil,coffee,rice,beans,and about 5 lbs. of meat and cheese,and yes,my childrens clothes too.
LIKE I OFTEN SAY,"NO GOOD DEED GOES unpunished"!
ESPECIALLY IN THE DR!

I once asked a Dominican that I had helped many many times over the years,why he had stolen several hundred dollars from me,he had no answer.He laater came up to me with his answer,"Because you have more than I do"!!!!!
THAT,my friends, is what is wrong with Dominicans!
If they would just put their hard work and brain power to doing the right things,this country,with all it's "Treasures", would be a paradise for all,but "NO!",they always try the easy way out! :(:(:(:(

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC