homemade bread question

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Anybody remember mountainfrog? He brought special yeast from Germany and grew his own. He made some AWESOME dark breads in his brick over...

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Home made rye bread

2q3yk35.jpg

donP

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
Anybody remember mountainfrog? He brought special yeast from Germany and grew his own. He made some AWESOME dark breads in his brick over...
I hope Norbert P doesn't see your post CB, he thinks he makes best bread in RD . ja ja ja

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Sour Dough

Anybody remember mountainfrog? He brought special yeast from Germany and grew his own.

Good and fresh yeast is available here (Levapan).

I am sure he brought the sour dough starter with him... ;)
That is the critical ingredient which has the fermenting bacteria.
Each sour dough is different.

donP

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
Good and fresh yeast is available here (Levapan).

I am sure he brought the sour dough starter with him... ;)
That is the critical ingredient which has the fermenting bacteria.
Each sour dough is different.

donP
very true, when one finds a successful batch , a piece is always saved for the new batch ( I think) lol

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

I am fairly sure there is a Mountainfrog ribitting on this thread!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Holy Smokes! The yeast really rose in this thread. Wow! The things one learns...

All I can say is we had a most awesome experience in a certain mountaintop in Las Terranas during "The Night of Olga" and several visits hence. Awesome bread! I mean, spectacular! And I won't even mention two little pigs getting pulled out of the mud...:cheeky:

May 29, 2006
Buy the frozen fresh yeast in a market. It's a huge amount, but even if you only use it two or three times, it's cheaper than the dry packet yeast and work much better.

Start with one cup room temp water for every pound of dough with one cup bread flour(high gluten-bleached for pizza), and about a half teaspoon of the wet yeast. Stir together in a 4 liter/quart container and put it in the fridge overnight(it will more than triple in size). This is called the Poolish method and it will be liquid. Use warm water if you want to bake later in the same day.

Remove the wet mix and add in enough flour to make a dough with 1 TBS shortening. While it is still sticky, stop and let the dough "rest" for about 10 minutes. This will allow the flour to absorb as much water as possible. After the rest, add more flour to make a ball of dough. This is called a "boulle" The skin of the dough should be smooth, firm and almost shiny. Pizza dough must be thoroughly needed to make the dough stretchy. When I worked in a pizzeria, it was 8 minutes in an industrial mixer for each 85 pound batch of dough.

Work the dough into an 8" circle by forming a triangle with your index fingers and thumbs. Press it down on an oiled surface creating the crust of the pizza and a raised center while rotating the dough. Cover and let rest in the fridge for at least an hour.

Using an ample amount of bench flour, work the dough into a circle again, flouring both sides. By now the dough will be very stretchy. Work the dough by pressing down and rotating it. Maintain the raised edge while doing this. When it is about a 1/2" thick you can start to stretch out farther by letting the weight of the dough pull it thinner from the center.

If you do not have a pizza stone, I find the best method is to par-cook the dough on a griddle. I put cornmeal on the bottom of the crust before cooking it(Semolina is more traditional). Pizza works well grilled on both sides and the slight char adds some nice flavor.

Use less sauce than you might think. You should be able to see the dough through it. Too much sauce leads to the toppings and cheese sliding off. I start with about 2 to 1 ratio of tomato sauce to paste, or by hand-squeezing canned plum tomatoes and then reducing the juice on the stove top. If I'm using fresh tomatoes, I'll make a bruscetta-style pizza with slices of tomatoes on top of basil pesto and fresh mozzarella.

Finally, if you are using dry mozzarella, use whole milk cheese if possible. I prefer to cube the cheese into 1/2" chunks rather than grating it, because it takes longer to melt and this results in a crispier crust.

Here is a good link on the Poolish method:
http://www.breadtechnique.com/Images/pizzaonlinerecipe.pdf

Last edited: