Honestey Is The Best Policy...leaving DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I have read that it costs $1000 U.S to get your original residency and then the next year it is another $1000 for a total of $2000.U.S

If I fly to Canada every 5 years to renew my Drivers license and I pay a $400 U.S fine every 5 years then I would pay the $2000 U.S over 5 trips or 25 years so how is residency cheaper??

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Mike, you have been here long enough to know what's what. You decide whatever you want to do for you (but read AND UNDERSTAND Windeguy's point). However, we really can't have you advising newer people to follow whatever it is you do, because they could get into a whole heap of trouble and then come back and say someone on DR1 advised that it was cheaper etc etc.

Do whatever you wish for you. Lead a risky life if that is what you want. Just PLEASE don't lead others astray. It isn't fair on them.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Mike, you have been here long enough to know what's what. You decide whatever you want to do for you (but read AND UNDERSTAND Windeguy's point). However, we really can't have you advising newer people to follow whatever it is you do, because they could get into a whole heap of trouble and then come back and say someone on DR1 advised that it was cheaper etc etc.

Do whatever you wish for you. Lead a risky life if that is what you want. Just PLEASE don't lead others astray. It isn't fair on them.

Yes, Mike we can't have you giving people advise on food either, the wrong people could get their hands on your recipes and blame dr1 for their gastronomic experience.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007

There are advantages of residency specifically for insurance because you are not covered once your tourist card expires so my method is obviously not for everyone.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Yes, Mike we can't have you giving people advise on food either, the wrong people could get their hands on your recipes and blame dr1 for their gastronomic experience.

I am sure DR1 carries an enourmous liability insurance policy because we all know what is written on this form is Gospel.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Just have one accident here after you have overstayed your tourist card and you will find out.

I agree, but if my scooter causes the accident how much damage could there be?

I actually hit a motoconcho and it cost me $rd 500

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
If it is only a scooter you are driving your chances of such a problem are reduced. So, I guess you will take your chances.

Not my first day on this planet.

By not wanting to own a car or Suv, I will not drink and drive, reducing the risks even further.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
LOL Tambo ;).

There are advantages of residency specifically for insurance because you are not covered once your tourist card expires so my method is obviously not for everyone.

Although Windeguy mentioned driving uninsured, my mind was actually on other things. Not so much the things you know you are doing wrong, but the things you don't know, you aren't doing wrong yet are accused of and which come as a great suprise. Any expat, and this isn't specifically directed at you or anyone else on this thread, but any expat who either lives here illegally (no residencia) or drives here illegally (no licence) or earns here illegally (by not paying appropriate taxes) is putting themselves at risk unnecessarily. Particularly when none of those procedures are difficult to achieve - OK tax is more complicated now but one can always hire an accountant.

Yes I'm sure there are those that do it and get away with it. But they don't usually announce it on a public forum :cheeky: when they can be easily identified in the small town where they live and in which town some parts of law enforcement have had .......prior experience in taking advantage of foreigners who don't abide by the rules.

Common sense dictates that either one has all one's papers in order, or if one doesn't, one keeps quiet about it. However many days one has had on this planet ;).

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
A question -
As I understand it, when your tourist visa expires then your driving insurance is not valid.
What about a person who is here on a 1 year visa/
Is their driving insurance valid for the whole length of their visa too?

Reactions: mike l

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com

Mike, I hate to feel having to point this out to you, but what you are doing and now defending is NOT a method, and it sure ain't very honest either.

After all, you are "methodically" ILLEGAL in a foreign country.
Yes, the DR has a very selective and lax approach towards foreigners spending their time and money away here, even when they overstay their "tourist" visa, but it's illegal nevertheless.
Plus taking into account the liability and personal risks, it certainly may not be sensed as much to brag about, much less a recommendation.
I can understand that you may not have expected readers to look at the underlining issue the way it came out when you started this "funny" thread but I think, you have been around long enough to now understand that people on here could have some concerns with your "method" or lack thereof.

I'm glad for you, you got treated to a "free" upgrade though. I wished this consideration would be extended to me someday, just for being legal. :D

... J-D.

Reactions: mike l

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
A question -
As I understand it, when your tourist visa expires then your driving insurance is not valid.
What about a person who is here on a 1 year visa/
Is their driving insurance valid for the whole length of their visa too?

We've discussed the "insurance" thingy so many times, I finally even got confused with the time lines.
The law is, in my opinion clearly unclear.
It would seem that you need a DOMINICAN driver license to effectively be eligible for coverage after the 90 day limit.
The law states that you CAN have a Dominican driver license even if you do NOT have residency. But the driver license office REFUSES to issue driver licenses to people who do NOT have a "cedula" (local ID)... and obviously, you need to be either Dominican or a legal resident (residency) to legally have such a "cedula". Catch 22!
So, I would SUSPECT that somebody being here on a "special" one year visa without a "cedula" would also not be able to obtain a Dominican driver license.
Which leads us back to the fact that you need to drive on a Dominican driver license to enjoy effective liability coverage by a local insurance company.

I am not a lawyer and this is just my logical thinking... but then, logic seems to fail us more often than not, when trying to understand the local "system". :D

... J-D.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Predictably enough, the 2 highest fines are for using a cellphone and not wearing your seatbelt.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Yes its cheaper to get a ticket for driving without lights! than no seat belt.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I have only had one free upgrade to First Class in all the years I have been flying.

Fines for transit infractions are here, column on right:
Tarifario de Multas
They got me once for the Cristales tintados. $25 pesos then, $1,000 now.

You can sure tell by the increase in traffic fines, how the people have learned over time in general to line their pockets. They learned that they can increase prices, and the public will still keep on paying.

From the table, looks like July 2008 was the time this country really started becoming expensive. In a span of about 7 months fines went from $5-25 pesos to $1,000 pesos.

Welcome to a "Third" World country with "First" World prices.
Stand-by, More increases to follow!

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
I have only had one free upgrade to First Class in all the years I have been flying.

They got me once for the Cristales tintados. $25 pesos then, $1,000 now.

You can sure tell by the increase in traffic fines, how the people have learned over time in general to line their pockets. They learned that they can increase prices, and the public will still keep on paying.

From the table, looks like July 2008 was the time this country really started becoming expensive. In a span of about 7 months fines went from $5-25 pesos to $1,000 pesos.

Welcome to a "Third" World country with "First" World prices.
Stand-by, More increases to follow!

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR

What world is the USA in? You can't get away with parking over the time limit for RD$1000 here.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
After reading all of this I guess I will be applying for residency as soon as I get back.

I am actually paying $6k for this trip with hotel food and drink etc so flying here every 5 years does not make sense

Time to become legal

Reactions: J D Sauser
Status
Not open for further replies.