Horizontal Sliding Window Screen

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I have horizontal sliding windows in my apartment but no screens. No screen frame. I want to be able to keep my windows open at night and I cannot figure out how to put a rat proof screen on the windows.

Rats enter the windows and sliding glass door at night. I think they like my dog food. It's happened often so I have to keep the windows closed at night. But it's getting hot and the living area is hot at night. I have air conditioner in the bedroom but when the power goes out at night I want to open the window and can't.

How do I get the least expensive screen frame that I can put rat proof mesh on. That I can either slide or remove as needed?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I'm guessing any screen shop can fix you up. They have frame material with rollers in it.
If you have a magnet you can check to see if it will stick to your frame then you may be able to use a magnetic screen.

Reactions: PJT
Nov 9, 2023
SC
If you have a surrounding ridge on the outside of the window you can make a timber slat frame exact the same size that will press fit in. Buy a roll of mesh, cut the shape oversize and staple it around the frame before pressing the frame in. It is a bit more permanent solution but you can still push the frame out from the inside while it can’t be pushed in from the outside.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Now that I think about it, I think I'd go with cage wire before I'd use screen. Rats will make quick work of screen if they're hungry.

Reactions: chico bill

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I'm guessing any screen shop can fix you up. They have frame material with rollers in it.
If you have a magnet you can check to see if it will stick to your frame then you may be able to use a magnetic screen.
I have never seen anything but aluminum used to make such windows here. Magnets won't work.

I have screens on all of my windows. Plastic screens in an aluminum frame that fit in those outer window frames. They would not stop rats, but then that has not been an issue.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I have never seen anything but aluminum used to make such windows here. Magnets won't work.

I have screens on all of my windows. Plastic screens in an aluminum frame that fit in those outer window frames. They would not stop rats, but then that has not been an issue.
Exactly. That's why I say cage wire mesh. They're not chewing through that, and much better air flow.

Reactions: Jan

JLSawmam

Sep 8, 2018
I wonder if it's feasible for whoever makes the screens to use both cage mesh and mosquito screen? With the mesh on the outside, maybe the screen won't get damaged by the rats. Certainly worth asking!

Reactions: colmcb

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I wonder if it's feasible for whoever makes the screens to use both cage mesh and mosquito screen? With the mesh on the outside, maybe the screen won't get damaged by the rats. Certainly worth asking!
If they are the same as my windows, and likely they are, you would have to lay the cage mesh over the screens aluminum frame on the outside and screw it in to hold it. That way you could have the fine mesh plastic screen for mosquitos inside and the wire the rats cannot bite through outside.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
rats coming into the house via an open window. You may want to prioritize that infestation problem

Reactions: cavok

Buzz65

Jul 13, 2017
Do you have a cat? Once I got a cat, not even roaches entered the house. That cat was nice for pest control

Reactions: cavok and Jan

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016

Those would work, but I was trying to give Jan a locally available alternative.

And she's not worried about mosquitos, just rats. The wire mesh I mentioned would only cost a few pesos and could be adapted to her window with a pair of pliers and be virtually invisable.

Last edited:
Reactions: reilleyp

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
I have horizontal sliding windows in my apartment but no screens. No screen frame. I want to be able to keep my windows open at night and I cannot figure out how to put a rat proof screen on the windows.

Rats enter the windows and sliding glass door at night. I think they like my dog food. It's happened often so I have to keep the windows closed at night. But it's getting hot and the living area is hot at night. I have air conditioner in the bedroom but when the power goes out at night I want to open the window and can't.

How do I get the least expensive screen frame that I can put rat proof mesh on. That I can either slide or remove as needed?
If you have a bit of interior window ledge and space on sides and top, you can have a wooden frame made to fit. Staple wire mesh on the outside, and staple screen on the inside. Install a couple of cheap drawer pulls, so you can easily remove your new screen. Good luck!

Reactions: Jan

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
BTW, this is the chicken wire I'm referring to for Jan:

81wI2XROBCL._AC_CR0%2C0%2C0%2C0_SX480_SY360_.jpg

Reactions: Jan and NanSanPedro

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
rats coming into the house via an open window. You may want to prioritize that infestation problem
It's happened about 5 times in the last 7 years but that is 5 times too many. The last time I heard it and ran to the window and closed it. He sat in the planter outside the window and had his nose on the glass looking at me. That bold little bugger didn't even flinch when I hit the window. Since then I close everything down before we beden down.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
BTW, this is the chicken wire I'm referring to for Jan:

81wI2XROBCL._AC_CR0%2C0%2C0%2C0_SX480_SY360_.jpg
I found the wire but just trying to figure out how to put it up. I do need to get to the plants out the window to water and such. Maybe just scrunch it into position and place a board or pvc pipe across the top, bottom and the outside to stabilize so the rat can-t squish in on the sides.

Reactions: JD Jones