Horizontal Sliding Window Screen

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
I have horizontal sliding windows in my apartment but no screens. No screen frame. I want to be able to keep my windows open at night and I cannot figure out how to put a rat proof screen on the windows.

Rats enter the windows and sliding glass door at night. I think they like my dog food. It's happened often so I have to keep the windows closed at night. But it's getting hot and the living area is hot at night. I have air conditioner in the bedroom but when the power goes out at night I want to open the window and can't.

How do I get the least expensive screen frame that I can put rat proof mesh on. That I can either slide or remove as needed?
Put a simple wood frame using the mesh "JD Jones" posted and mount it from ootside and you are good to go.

Reactions: Jan

Big

Apr 24, 2019
"Good Nature A24 c02 cartridge, rat system. load it with peanut butter. You will never see a rodent on your property again.

Farmer

Antiguo
Dec 2, 2003
Most window shops also do screens like another poster previously said. They can probably fix you up pretty quick and inexpensively with a frame that will prevent rats and flying critters. Have them do the measurements too so there's no issue with the fit if you don't like it. And with this or any work by a contractor, don't pay all up front.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Most window shops also do screens like another poster previously said. They can probably fix you up pretty quick and inexpensively with a frame that will prevent rats and flying critters. Have them do the measurements too so there's no issue with the fit if you don't like it. And with this or any work by a contractor, don't pay all up front.
Where do I find this contractor?

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I bought the chicken wire tonight. Should have seen me walking with a roll of wire and 2 dogs doing their sniffing and greeting all the humans and dogs on the way. So, if my brain is clear tomorrow I'll be trying to get it in the window.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I'd have to figure out how to get it through the security bars on the outside of the windows. And how would I get it to open to water the plants out the window? That plan is a no-go
It doesn't even need a wood frame. Cut the wire so it's ever so slightly larger than the hole, then insert it in the frame.

JLSawmam

Sep 8, 2018
As you mentioned needing to get to your plants outside the window, you might consider how to rig up a "door" in your mesh by cutting an opening and overlapping it on the inside with a larger piece. You could attach it at the top, bottom, and sides of the opening with twists of the same wire, and just undo those on 3 of 4 sides to open it up. Perfect, no, but maybe easier than removing the entire thing to get to your plants.

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
I'd have to figure out how to get it through the security bars on the outside of the windows. And how would I get it to open to water the plants out the window? That plan is a no-go
Ok got your point. In this case make a nice looking frame and velcro it from the inside or invest (around 6,000 RD$) for a window with slide screens. (also keeps mosquitos out)

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Ok got your point. In this case make a nice looking frame and velcro it from the inside or invest (around 6,000 RD$) for a window with slide screens. (also keeps mosquitos out)
It's an older rented apartment. I'm not buying new windows. This is why I said least expensive. Not really worried about looks. But, if it was my own place I probably would invest in new windows that locked.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
It's an older rented apartment. I'm not buying new windows. This is why I said least expensive. Not really worried about looks. But, if it was my own place I probably would invest in new windows that locked

Did you figure out how to install the wire without using a frame?

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Did you figure out how to install the wire without using a frame?
I got the stuff but still have not done it. Hope tomorrow brain is clear enough to do it. I got zip ties and cut an old mop stick to fit from top to bottom of the window. Plan to zip the wood to part of the wire so I can take it out and put it in a little easier. Will try it all together soon, maybe tomorrow.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I got the stuff but still have not done it. Hope tomorrow brain is clear enough to do it. I got zip ties and cut an old mop stick to fit from top to bottom of the window. Plan to zip the wood to part of the wire so I can take it out and put it in a little easier. Will try it all together soon, maybe tomorrow.
Jan, try it without any type of support first and see what happens, Flatten it on the floor before you put it in the space. I'm betting it will stay there by itself.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Jan, try it without any type of support first and see what happens, Flatten it on the floor before you put it in the space. I'm betting it will stay there by itself.
IMG_20240509_085654.jpgIMG_20240509_085648.jpg
Did this this morning. I used the mop handle to fill in the gap. Attached the wire to the outside security bars. So now one side of the window is open and normal and the other side has the wire. I'll do 2 more windows later.

Thanks for the ideas and help. Let's see if those nasty buggers can get inside now.