Hotels in Samana City

StellaRay

Apr 8, 2007
Hi Everyone,

I was hoping that someone could give me a quick rundown of the hotels in Samana, Samana (the actual city). I've done plenty of searches (not my first time on the board, haha) but I mostly keep coming up with hotels in Las Terrenas. I'm trying to plan a trip for a group of international students (12 people) and I need an all-inclusive resort in the city. I know people might suggest that we stay in Las Terrenas or Las Galeras (definitely my choice) but "powers above" have specifically asked for Samana. Price isn't so much of a problem, but I would like something not too outrageous (e.g. Cayo Levantado is a little bit much for me) So far I have found Gran Bahia Cayacoa y Gran Bahia Samana y Hotel La Tambora. I've heard Bahia Samana is actually closed due to contract disputes or something, has anybody else heard that?

If someone can give me some other options, that would be great.
I truly appreciate everything you all have to say!
Thanks!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Hi Everyone,

I was hoping that someone could give me a quick rundown of the hotels in Samana, Samana (the actual city). I've done plenty of searches (not my first time on the board, haha) but I mostly keep coming up with hotels in Las Terrenas. I'm trying to plan a trip for a group of international students (12 people) and I need an all-inclusive resort in the city. I know people might suggest that we stay in Las Terrenas or Las Galeras (definitely my choice) but "powers above" have specifically asked for Samana. Price isn't so much of a problem, but I would like something not too outrageous (e.g. Cayo Levantado is a little bit much for me) So far I have found Gran Bahia Cayacoa y Gran Bahia Samana y Hotel La Tambora. I've heard Bahia Samana is actually closed due to contract disputes or something, has anybody else heard that?

If someone can give me some other options, that would be great.
I truly appreciate everything you all have to say!
Thanks!
Bahia Principe has two in Samana, both pricey. For a nice smallish resort, try La Tambora, just a short bit out of town.

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
If you are open to a hotel that is not an AI, please check out a hotel at the end of the main drag (malecon) called something like El Tropical. It si run by a French couple (or was!), and is right on the street. There is/was another hotel with a similar name right behind it that I can neither recommend nor warn against. It was under repair when I last visited.

In fact,themore I think about it I have to throw in my dos centavos and yell:

PLEASE try something that is not an all-inclusive. "GET OFF THE RES!" What a fabulous corner of the country to do just that!
You will not regret it.

Back to the hotel, it was quiet, unlike every other hotel in town I visited (4).

They had a decent restaurant that faces the water, nice staff and clean rooms.

No A/c, but I didn't need it in Jan-March.

Mind you, I have not been back there since 2005! YIKES! So you'll need more recent updates on them!

Also, Las Galeras was nice. Andy B knows a lot and can make good recommendations. As I have said before, I stayed at Todo Blanco which may still have a website. It was right on the beach, and wonderful - surpasse dmy expectations - much nicer than Samana city hotels. BUT they had salty salt water showers/sinks, etc. - which hurt my eyes a bit. Even with salty water, I would stay there again.

But I totally would defer to Andy who has his fingers on the pulse of things as they are a changing.

Good luck!

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I think El Tropical is now an international Jehovah's Witness retreat.

StellaRay

Apr 8, 2007
Oh, I've been to a few different places (since I live in Santiago) so I've experienced the different cities and I normally choose a non-AI. But as I said, I'm just planning a trip for a group of international students, and logisitics-wise, an AI is really the way to go. Plus the director picked Samana City; I, myself, prefer Las Terrenas, but unfortunately I don't get to choose! I'm still waiting to hear from the 2 Gran Bahias and La Tambora, I just figured I'd check with DR1 and see if anyone knew of any others that I'm just not finding...

jonvelas

Jan 29, 2010
gosamana-dominicanrepublic.com
Small Budget Hotels in Samana City - Santa Barbara de Samana

There is a new small budget Hotel in the town of Samana opened since July 1st 2011, really worth checking out, it's called Cotubanama Backpackers Samana and it's under new management from a friendly young man from Spain called Guillermo.

The small Hotel and the Manager himself are getting TOP reviews in TripAdvisor. ;)

Air conditioning, safety box and free WIFI at cheap prices !

They are easy to find : Just Google them.