House and pool eletrical costs

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
JD, his bill was $705.00 dollars Canadian for one month!:eek:
We here in Ontario are told we have the most expensive hydro in the world.
Obviously not!
A $700.00 bill here would be huge and rare (I have never had one in just over ten years) in peak summer, AC cranked, huge home, pool pump running 24/7 and spa kept at 104 F degrees. Also, the bills here are for every 2 months!
Craziness!!

Hydro is not the main source of electricity in the DR. I have never heard the term used for electricity other than by Canadians. Oil (and now some new coal fired plants being built) are the source. Considerably more expensive than hydroelectric power.

If you go over 700 kWh in a month, the entire bill is at 10.86 $RD per kWh. $10.86 RD is about 24.4 US cents or about 29.6 Canadian cents per kWh.

You have been lied to about Canada having expensive electricity, naive to think so. A quick google search shows the DR as about 3 times higher per kWh.

http://powerforthefuture.ca/the-value-of-electricity/electricity-pricing/

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
The problem with Sabaneta is the lack of electricity (but then again that is one of the problems with this country)its not like Sosua or Cabarete, At the moment I get about 8- 12 hours of electricity a day its actually gotten worse as incredible as it seems that it can actually get worse than what it was before . :dead:

Parts of Sabaneta now have 24/ 7 power (or near enough) whilst others (like me) have now been switched to a different circuit, from SABY101 24/7 to SABY102 still scheduled off for 12 hrs in every 24 hrs!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Hydro is the same as luz. Both incorrect but the standard way to say power. Not sure if it is called hydro right across Canada but it sure is in the province of Ontario.

Naive? Did you miss the "obviously not" part?
Maybe you just didn't see it. You are no spring chicken.

I did not "miss" anything. I merely stated it would be naive (for anyone in general) to believe what they hear without verification.
You happened to take it personally while it was a general remark.

Understood that Hydro is used by Canadians and Lu(z) by Dominicans when referring to electricity.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Parts of Sabaneta now have 24/ 7 power (or near enough) whilst others (like me) have now been switched to a different circuit, from SABY101 24/7 to SABY102 still scheduled off for 12 hrs in every 24 hrs!

An what part is what circuit ? I'll be living near Route 21 just after the propane gaz station.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
An what part is what circuit ? I'll be living near Route 21 just after the propane gaz station.

I am not familiar with Route numbers and there are several gas stations about plus they have made loads of changes so I am not able to answer your question but Edenorte should be able to tell you your circuit number from the current account number which is on the previous electricity bills. You can then check the scheduled outage times which are published on this website Portal de Circuitos - CDEEE

If you need any other help, please send me a PM and I will try to assist.

Last edited: