house electrical questions

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ok, I didn't read the whole thread but I know exactly what BOB is talking about.
Its a 110v unit that screws on to shower pipe coming out of the wall. It has a on/off switch built-in which is triggered by water flow. So if you turn on the water, the heater unit turns on. There are 3 setting on the unit, hot, off and semi hot. It works well for many years until the heating unit burns out inside and then you have to replace the whole unit. I used them in my house for years and they work just fine.
BOB, I am sure your girlfriend has 110v coming in, the 220v wire is installed if you ask for it. The best way to see is to go to the meter outside and see if it has 2 red wires coming from the pole. I hope you won't find it disrespectful but the area you are refering to, everyone steals power there. So I am sure she only has 110v line.
No one has to turn on or off the unit when showering. The unit turns on/off all by itself the moment you turn on the faucet. Turn off the water and the unit turns off. The wires have to be heavy gauge and should not be coming from a plugin outlet. The outlet will melt on High water temperature setting if you leave the unit on for a long time. Try to get the power straight from the meter or from a 15 amp trip switch from fuse box. This will solve the problem.
AZB

Sep 19, 2005
thanks...AZB described my unit perfectly...i did forget to mention that the heat is trigger by water flow, like he said.....

the thing i want to do is move the switch away from the water AZB!!!!

Now you know i would put up with them stealing anything... ha ha ha ha....

doesnt the goverment pay for power.. and when the goverment doesnt want to pay any more... they turn the power off??? ha ha ha

anyway whats a meter for..if you are stealing power??????????

unless they found a way to by pass the meter.....hmm...I am going to shut up now

...so AZB says its a 110 unit....so i will buy a 110 waterfroof box-switch and mount it away from the shower....possibly over the vanity above the sink with a new light.....IF they ever need to kill the power to the shower unit.. they can with this new switch.....other wise the switch is constantly ON....

bob

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
laurapasinifan said:
also the guy said If I put in a GFI in the bathroom, it would be a moot point, if there are other poorly wired fixtures through the house, on the way back to the fuse box.

As strange as it may sound but that statement is a good indicator this guy knows Dominican electrical wiring.

The way to avoid this is to wire the GFCI so that only the receptacle has ground fault protection and the upstream wiring is not ground fault protected.

The new wire for the heater goes from the heater directly to the main panel, right? If so you can install a GFCI receptacle in that wire to provide ground fault protection for not only the GFCI rectacle but for the heater as well.

Last edited:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
From the way AZB described how the unit works my question would be why do you need a switch.

This thread has been fun!

Sep 19, 2005
bigbird said:
From the way AZB described how the unit works my question would be why do you need a switch.

This thread has been fun!

I was thinking the same thing...but it may not be wired directly to the fuse box...it may just be jumped in the middle of a line going someplace else!

right it is the DR!!!!!!!!!!!..... so if you wanted to work on the unit, you could kill power to it locally....I GUESS....

I vaugely understand electricity... and i certainly wont try to understand DR electricity with out help!

at home I hire professionals..... I know I will live longer....

down there I wouldnt know where to find one, and i wouldnt know if he was ripping me off or not...

bob

G

gary short

bigbird said:
I have to laugh, I have been living in a First World Country way too long. Now to think 3 world electric, I say go with what Hipo said. A PVC weather proof box. The threaded hole a weather proof connector fits in there. Take apart what is there and put it back together with a weatherproof box, wp connectors, and wp cover plate. Probably the easiest 3rd World thing to do is take down a small tube of outdoor silicone sealant to seal all openings on the existing box.
Yap PVC box with PVC Switch cover. The kind that interlock with a regular switch. A GFI breaker sure would remedy the situation, if you can find one that's compatible with your panel. Also ensure that you have a ground wire, 6 awg will do, terminated at a ground lug in your panel and run outside to an electrode, either a copper plate buried 18" below grade or a two rods 6' long and 12' apart. Make sure the bathtub is empty and the powers off. Good luck.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
gary short said:
Yap PVC box with PVC Switch cover. The kind that interlock with a regular switch. A GFI breaker sure would remedy the situation, if you can find one that's compatible with your panel. Also ensure that you have a ground wire, 6 awg will do, terminated at a ground lug in your panel and run outside to an electrode, either a copper plate buried 18" below grade or a two rods 6' long and 12' apart. Make sure the bathtub is empty and the powers off. Good luck.

Hey, you have been studying the NEC, very good.:glasses: Are you IBEW? If so, what local?

I have been in the electrical construction buisness, one way or another, for over 35 years. One thing I learned from this thread, and the things I saw in the DR is to throw the NEC book in the garbage and take DR Electricty 101. I always try to make sure all electrical wiring is installed in accordance with Federal, State, and Local code. It amazes me the DR doesn't have one of the largest fire departments in the world. Maybe it's the cement buildings.

One of the places I stayed on my last trip was the Waterfront Hotel in Sosua. Can you believe right over the bathroom sink was a contractor grade standard receptacle. 2 prong!!!!!!!!!!!

G

gary short

bigbird said:
Hey, you have been studying the NEC, very good.:glasses: Are you IBEW? If so, what local?

I have been in the electrical construction buisness, one way or another, for over 35 years. One thing I learned from this thread, and the things I saw in the DR is to throw the NEC book in the garbage and take DR Electricty 101. I always try to make sure all electrical wiring is installed in accordance with Federal, State, and Local code. It amazes me the DR doesn't have one of the largest fire departments in the world. Maybe it's the cement buildings.

One of the places I stayed on my last trip was the Waterfront Hotel in Sosua. Can you believe right over the bathroom sink was a contractor grade standard receptacle. 2 prong!!!!!!!!!!!
IBEW local 213. In business for 28 years. Our book the Can. Elec. Code, pretty much the same as your bible. I stayed at The Waterfront Hotel last feb and noticed the same thing...haha. I don't know about you but I'ld have a hard time getting near one of those water heaters. It would be like juggling a plugged in toaster and a coffee maker while showering. Bravest people in the world Dominican linemen or the crazy telecom guy in Sosua working off an aluminum ladder.......ow that would hurt.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
gary short said:
IBEW local 213. In business for 28 years. Our book the Can. Elec. Code, pretty much the same as your bible. I stayed at The Waterfront Hotel last feb and noticed the same thing...haha. I don't know about you but I'ld have a hard time getting near one of those water heaters. It would be like juggling a plugged in toaster and a coffee maker while showering. Bravest people in the world Dominican linemen or the crazy telecom guy in Sosua working off an aluminum ladder.......ow that would hurt.

That is funny!!!!!! IBEW LU 164 in New Jersey
I could tell by your indepth knowledge of the code you were union and had been around awhile.

Hola Brother

G

gary short

bigbird said:
That is funny!!!!!! IBEW LU 164 in New Jersey
I could tell by your indepth knowledge of the code you were union and had been around awhile.

Hola Brother
Hola Brother....hahaha. I'm a sawmill, pulpmill, brewery, printingpress, high voltage, low voltage, pipe bending, control, plc guy. I'm wiring a friends cabin so I had to reintroduce myself to the code. Whoa it's been while...haha.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
gary short said:
Hola Brother....hahaha. I'm a sawmill, pulpmill, brewery, printingpress, high voltage, low voltage, pipe bending, control, plc guy. I'm wiring a friends cabin so I had to reintroduce myself to the code. Whoa it's been while...haha.

In the states we call that an electrician a.k.a. sparky.

G

gary short

bigbird said:
In the states we call that an electrician a.k.a. sparky.
Same here for now. The government wants to introduce an excelerated apprenticeship program.Instead of the 4 year term you could do 2 years and recieve some kind of certification that would allow you to work on 120/240 under a certain amperage. Were fighting it because of the forseeable toll on the people that have been inadequatly trained. I hope the same is not so in your neighbourhood.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Requirements for state licensing

gary short said:
Same here for now. The government wants to introduce an excelerated apprenticeship program.Instead of the 4 year term you could do 2 years and recieve some kind of certification that would allow you to work on 120/240 under a certain amperage. Were fighting it because of the forseeable toll on the people that have been inadequatly trained. I hope the same is not so in your neighbourhood.

In your neck of the woods... what are the qualifications and requirements?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
BOB, leave the wires the way they are. To your surprise, dominicans don't care. make sure the wires are heavy gauge and thats that. Dominians don't care and nothing happens to them.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
gary short said:

5 year apprenticeship, work 4 days the 5th day is spent in school

G

gary short

bigbird said:
5 year apprenticeship, work 4 days the 5th day is spent in school
Good system. We're 10 weeks in school/yr for 4 years with a 10 month preapprenticeship. I't had better stay that way or go to your system.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
AZB said:
BOB, leave the wires the way they are. To your surprise, dominicans don't care. make sure the wires are heavy gauge and thats that. Dominians don't care and nothing happens to them.

I know I should be the last person to say it but I would have to agree. I would at least use some weatherproof silicone sealant to seal any openings on the switch box. Bob you know less than the original installer so it is very possible you could make matters worse.

I look at how the 1 gallon plastic water jug lights are wired on the beach and shake my head in amazement. Somehow they work rain or shine. There must be a Saint Electricity looking over all the small countries of the world.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
gary short said:
Sorry in regards to what.

For qualifying for a state license?

In Florida in the 80s... two years of schooling not college trade school colleges worthless for the field.... seven hours a day for two years, plus 5 years in field and and one-year supervisor, to receive your mechanical after you pass six-hour business and six-hour mechanical, but first you must meet the requirements in order to take the test.