House of Johnny Ventura in Santo Domingo

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
March 5, 2024

Here is an interesting look at the house of the late Johnny Ventura, shown by his son Jandy At various points his biological mother and wife are shown as well. He mentions he envisions the place becoming a house-museum about Johnny Ventura like it’s done in the USA with Elvis Presley. That sounds as a good idea.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It’s relatively near the US Embassy.

JVlxlMx.jpg

JVlxGcB.jpg

JVlxEFV.jpg

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I lived down the street from him a while back. He'd always come by and invite us to his parties whenever he had one.

Real down to earth guy.

I don't think they have the money to keep up with the maintenance.

M4kintosh

May 23, 2023
Santiago De Los Caballeros
I lived down the street from him a while back. He'd always come by and invite us to his parties whenever he had one.

Real down to earth guy.

I don't think they have the money to keep up with the maintenance.
His eldest son (Jandy) is asking 100 million pesos (1.6 M USD). Besides the guy on the video (who's a TV presenter and also a realtor) there also several other agents also in the hunt.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Personally, I don’t find Johnny Ventura’s house particularly charming or beautiful. If that was his dream house, then more power to him since he was the one who lived it. Notice no one says it’s a nice house, just that Johnny liked it, it was Johnny’s dream home and it’s sentimental to them (since they lived/live there, that is obvious); but none say it’s their favorite home or that they like it. Most likely the house is not designed as they would like, it’s designed the way Johnny liked it.

From the outside it doesn’t quite gets up there. On the inside other than several of the doors and the grand staircase when you enter, the rest of the house seem underwhelming. Have family members with multiple living rooms which I think is stupid since only one living room is actually used on a constant basis. The others are just there catching dust. One cousin converted the second living room into a sort of man cave, which now that room at least gets some use. The bathroom in the main bedroom seems too big. There is only so much that can be done in a bathroom and you want to spend the least amount of time in there. The balcony is quite nice and Jandy says before the trees grew there were vistas of the Isabela River. It would be interesting to see what’s the situation there when it cones to the breeze. One of the nicest things in my uncle’s house in Puerto Plata was the constant breeze that entered his balcony. I would sit there and in no time was asleep. Lol Something tells me that balcony in Johnny’s house doesn’t have the same breezes, but who knows.

I’m also disappointed with the red sofas. They look worn and have the usual degradations that cones with bonded leather, which is one of the cheapest leather there is out there. A house like that should have sofas with real leather. Just by looking at the sofas I can tell they have attached back pillows and cushions which is also on the cheaper side. They probably have pine wood frames or worst, composite woods frame or even combining cardboard. Usually stuff made in China. American hardwood frames are of much better quality, but they are also heavier. If you can lift a sofa very easily, that’s no hardwood regardless what the sales person says. Been there, done that. Had a sales person once try to tell me a particular sofa was American made with hardwood while I lifted one side of the thing with one hand and hardly any effort. Was careful putting it down, don’t want the frame to break. Lol

Except for turning that house into a museum about Johnny Ventura, I only see it good for its location. Knock it down and build something else in its spot. Maybe conserve the grand staircases and the nice doors, that’s it.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Big house, lot of upkeep. Back in the day the large bathroom was the "thing". MIL/FIL had one until they remodeled it to make it more "user friendly". Steps into the tub were too much of a hazard. Staircase is beautiful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I love it !! There is shabby chic, gaudy-flashy chic and all the in between. Gianni Versace would have been right at home in that place. Style and taste are all subjective.

Reactions: Fulano2

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I love it !! There is shabby chic, gaudy-flashy chic and all the in between. Gianni Versace would have been right at home in that place. Style and taste are all subjective.
Gianni Versace? What? I’ve seen his house in Miami Beach. Gianni’s house looks nothing like Johnny’s house. Gianni’s house is actually beautiful and that’s on the outside, imagine the inside.

Those are quite some googles that you’re wearing.

• Haha
Reactions: NanSanPedro

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
He says that's what it's worth, I'd like to see what an agrimensor would set the value at.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Gianni Versace? What? I’ve seen his house in Miami Beach. Gianni’s house looks nothing like Johnny’s house. Gianni’s house is actually beautiful and that’s on the outside, imagine the inside.

Those are quite some googles that you’re wearing.
oh , so now you are an expert in good taste and refinement. Sure you are!

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
It is.. um.. unique. There are quite a few fairly unique houses in Cuesta Brava.

I really liked my time living there. My ex-home there is very large, has lots of breezes, never-ending water with great pressure, literally no pass-through traffic, and is as quiet as the campo.

All of that, and just minutes to the center of the city, Pricesmart, supermarkets and offices.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Back in time a lot of "upper class" had large houses that as JD posted were unique. I have seen quite a few. My in-laws for example. Everyone has different taste. I am sure that a lot of the furnishings, etc..have a sentimental value as opposed to design value. For what it is worth, I have seen the Versace home in Miami, the furnishings, etc...... are very avant- garde (some would say over the top, it is almost all Versace designs) and probably would not appeal to everyone. Keep in mind the Versace home is also now a boutique type hotel. I do not think the Ventura home is bad, just from another era.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Back in time a lot of "upper class" had large houses that as JD posted were unique. I have seen quite a few. My in-laws for example. Everyone has different taste. I am sure that a lot of the furnishings, etc..have a sentimental value as opposed to design value. For what it is worth, I have seen the Versace home in Miami, the furnishings, etc...... are very avant- garde (some would say over the top, it is almost all Versace designs) and probably would not appeal to everyone. Keep in mind the Versace home is also now a boutique type hotel. I do not think the Ventura home is bad, just from another era.

Not to mention that many, many of the large houses from back in the day are now embassies, Govt. Offices, etc. and there are more than a few that have been restored and some standing empty.

I have always said that some entity like Colonial Choo Choo in the Colonial City should have a Gazcue Historical tourist shutter.

Remodeling parts of the the Colonial city aside, the DR could do a lot more to increase the cultural heritage of Santo Domingo

Reactions: keepcoming

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
In the LA area you could sell it for 15-20 million. The buyer would then tear the house down and build their own dream house. This is a beautiful piece of property!