Housekeeping Question

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
I don't even know if what you are looking for is available at all. I fill empty yoghurt plastic containers (they have a plastic lid). And keep the bulk bucket hidden "cuando este vacio me avisa pa ir a comprar un chin mas, oio?". I never even let her know there is more.

... J-D.

So are you saying that we have to treat our housekeepers at a less mature level than when I taught my own kids to do laundry at about age 4? This seems ridiculous. In my heart, I am afraid you are right (maybe I'm the lame one for needing two years to learn this;) My visitors tell me I should fire our housekeeper because she is so childlike but she is only 19 and they don't understand the culture. My experience is that all we can hope for is someone who is honest, works reasonably hard and who has the possibility of learning.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
So are you saying that we have to treat our housekeepers at a less mature level than when I taught my own kids to do laundry at about age 4? This seems ridiculous. In my heart, I am afraid you are right (maybe I'm the lame one for needing two years to learn this;) My visitors tell me I should fire our housekeeper because she is so childlike but she is only 19 and they don't understand the culture. My experience is that all we can hope for is someone who is honest, works reasonably hard and who has the possibility of learning.

don't try to teach them. good maid has her pride and will not take to your "suggestions". i solve the problem by letting our maid do the ironing but NOT the laundry - easy as she only comes one day a week :cheeky:
i told her from the start: clean the house and iron, nada mas. and she seems not to use cloro on the floors, first i can't smell it, second the cat is a cloro lover, should she use the thing he'd be all over her instead of hiding in the wardrobe...

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com

No, I am not implying anybody is to be even only considered less mature.
It's a difference in culture and life experiences. Nothing diminishable about either way. It was YOU who said "... they don't understand the culture". Have you considered that maybe it's mutual?

People of economically poor back ground obviously (have to) look at things differently. The don't save much, because they never had much to save, so when there is plentyfull they tend to enjoy it (today) and live the good life even if it's just for once. There is nothing wrong with it... millions of smiling faces in this country are proving it right.

We on the other hand do things like buying bulk... because we can afford to, we are forward looking and feel smart and happy is we can save a buck here and there in the long run. We know it's cheaper but to a person with little money, it can hardly make sense... why spending all that beautiful money on a huge canister of washing powder you don't seem to want to enjoy to it's fullest potential, when you can buy all the powder you'd need today for "only" 20 Pesos and spend the rest of the money on better things... like ingredients to a big sancocho for the whole family and half the neighborhood? Maybe that's part of why they are happier people than we are, less worried about tomorrow and things like the economics of washing powder.
If you have a lot it means that you just love to use a lot, why else would you keep that much?

"no importa... yo hay! :)" Is that less mature? I wouldn't want to be the judge of that, after all we came here because people are more laid back and to escape the rat's race...

By the way my little quart bottle of softener is still half full.. it's over two weeks now (my first post on this thread). So I asked. She said that she put some water into it to dilute it!! I asked why, to which she replied that since I don't like the smell of it!
That's after I replaced the 1 Gallon canister she went thru in a week comment less with the small one.

... J-D.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think it's more likely the extra money will not go for sancocho but rather for new piece of clothing or salon, that's the way it is in here...
thinking forward - for our house i insist on buying a hoover (god, i miss hoovers) as brushing only seem to raise the dust and cats hair. i wonder, what are the chances of the maid actually using a hoover? anyone has experiences with maids and mechanics? :)
my experience tells me i may be asking too much, we do not even let the maid clean teflon pans (for the passion to scrub things clean is hard to break and scrub does not go well with teflon)...