How does a US female go about getting dual citizenship by marrying her DR man?

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Go slow girl..

You say first you need to finish school.. Great!
Save money for a ticket. OK
Live here on the island 4-6 months before you deside. Clever.

But, what do you plan to live on these 4-6 months, how will you support yourself?

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Think about meeting the person you potentially plan to spend the rest of your life with, before thinking about the small details...like dual citizienship! I have had long-distance relationships with men in DR and it is hard enough to maintain, even when I was travelling down there almost every month...you really need to live with someone to know if he/she is your soulmate.
Also, as an immigrant myself, it is a huge transition to consider...and I relocated to a country that was not a complete culture shock to me, where English was spoken, and where as a professional, I had good earning potential.
My advice would be to focus on these issues first. The DR is a wonderful country with wondeful people, but you need to experience this first hand before committing to a move of this magnitude.
Hope it all works out for you!

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2004
drloca said:
Think about meeting the person you potentially plan to spend the rest of your life with, before thinking about the small details...like dual citizienship! I have had long-distance relationships with men in DR and it is hard enough to maintain, even when I was travelling down there almost every month...you really need to live with someone to know if he/she is your soulmate.
Also, as an immigrant myself, it is a huge transition to consider...and I relocated to a country that was not a complete culture shock to me, where English was spoken, and where as a professional, I had good earning potential.
My advice would be to focus on these issues first. The DR is a wonderful country with wondeful people, but you need to experience this first hand before committing to a move of this magnitude.
Hope it all works out for you!

Drloca has give some very very good advice. As have some other on this thread.

I have to say, you cannot expect everyone to be supportive of your decision of marrying someone you have never met.

PLEASE PLEASE (not as someone trying to make negative comments, but as someone wanting to help you, and wishing you the best..)LIVE with him for AT LEAST 4-6 months first..as you and other ppl have said.

Not to pry into your personal stuff...but how old are you?

Be careful with this...once you spend enough time with him (in REAL life) not online....then make an informed decision.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
It is the most unreal thing I have ever heard, and I have seen & heard alot.
What would be so wrong, in this case, to maybe meet first?
You are not only taking about marriage, something that is supposed to be the most beautiful action of love between two persons sharing a very special bond, with a person you have never met.
You are also, in the same breath, taking about emigrating and about getting a citizenship of a country you have never visited.
This is not only desperation, it is so naive, I dont find words to it.

Life is very much real here, as elsewhere, it is not a webcam.
Apart from love or whatever you call it in this case, you are about to enter a new country with a very special, for you unknown, culture.
You need to support yourself, have a job, get a cedula.

Be careful, check your brain, heart and wallet.
What you are talking about is not a game. It is something that is for real,
that is very, very expensive for both your wallet and heart break.