how does it work with your baby born in dominican republic

davoucci19

Apr 9, 2005
NotLurking said:
I know I sound NEGATIVE but all I want is for you to have a happy experience both with the birth of your baby (congratulations) and with his/her paper work. In order for your child to be recognized as a US citizen and be able to get all his/her benefits (US passport), you need to Report his/her birth to US Consular services. It is officially deemed 'Consular Report of Birth Abroad'. One of the requirements for this, is that you file form DS-2029 (formally FS-579). You need a Dominican birth certificate 'en extensa' to do this. You can only get your baby's birth certificate in DR if you are a Dominican Citizen or legal resident. Do you see the paradox? No US passport without a Dominican birth certificate and no Dominican birth certificate for the babies of foreigners. I just don't want you to run into any hassles or difficulties. Good Luck!

Regards,
NotLurking

thank you so much notlurking I really appreciate the help we will definitely take all of your comments into consideration an think this thru...all of your comments are very intersting and informative.....thanx again guys

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
Our son was born here six years ago and it was not that hard to get an Amercian passport and a certificate of birth abroad. As long as you are prepared with all the paperwork gathered together in advance it should be just a matter of filling in forms and being patient.

Something to be aware of though - there are different types of Dominican birth certificates so you need to check with the US consulate to make sure you know the correct type to request otherwise you will have to go get the correct one and this will just delay the process. We learned this the hard way but it was the only minor snag.

I am not 100% sure if this is the case but it was our understanding that only the father (or another male family member) can go to declare the birth and request the birth certificate.

It is also my understanding that you will need some sort of legal status in the DR in order to request a birth certificate. I don't know if a tourist card will fulfill the legal status requirement. I would suggest you ask Mr. Guzman in the legal forum about the particulars of your situation.

Our daughter was born in the States and to be honest I enjoyed the Dominican birth experience more than the Stateside one. The private clinics here really spoil you, with champagne and fruit waiting in your room, a masseuse, a girl that will give you a pedicure or manicure if you want it, and my personal favorite, the girl with the magnum ice cream.

Congratulations and good luck with your new little one.

davoucci19

Apr 9, 2005
expatsooner said:
Our son was born here six years ago and it was not that hard to get an Amercian passport and a certificate of birth abroad. As long as you are prepared with all the paperwork gathered together in advance it should be just a matter of filling in forms and being patient.

Something to be aware of though - there are different types of Dominican birth certificates so you need to check with the US consulate to make sure you know the correct type to request otherwise you will have to go get the correct one and this will just delay the process. We learned this the hard way but it was the only minor snag.

I am not 100% sure if this is the case but it was our understanding that only the father (or another male family member) can go to declare the birth and request the birth certificate.

It is also my understanding that you will need some sort of legal status in the DR in order to request a birth certificate. I don't know if a tourist card will fulfill the legal status requirement. I would suggest you ask Mr. Guzman in the legal forum about the particulars of your situation.

Our daughter was born in the States and to be honest I enjoyed the Dominican birth experience more than the Stateside one. The private clinics here really spoil you, with champagne and fruit waiting in your room, a masseuse, a girl that will give you a pedicure or manicure if you want it, and my personal favorite, the girl with the magnum ice cream.

Congratulations and good luck with your new little one.

wow where in dominican republic was your baby born that they treated you that well...I might have to check that hospital out...lol......my mother is born in dominican republic and I dont know if that helps with legal status...but I am going to get all the paperwork together as well as find out more info on september when I GO..this is my first child and I want things of course to go right.....

Last edited:

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Hillbilly said:
As both you and your husband are native born US citizens, where your baby is born is not really much of an issue as Dolores states quite rightly.

RE: The birth certificate: The clinic where you give birth will issue a birth certification that your husband can take to the local Registro Civil to declare the birth. The Birth Certificate will state quite clearly that the Mother " Fulana de Tal" ciudadana Americana, passaporte # Z70099999 gave birth to a baby boy/girl whose father
Mr. Fulano de Tal, Americano, passaporte # Zo99999999, at Sucha and Such clinica in Santo domingo

Or something approaching that.

This document will then be taken as soon as possible to the US consulate where you will need some photos and the local birth certificate and your sworn statements,and proof of your residence in the states etc.And your baby will have a US Passport worth thousands of dollars....and a US Social Security number...

I really think that it is now quite clear, and will not be a problem.

HB :p:p

Hillbilly, I don't think it's that clear. I think it is rather complicated. The 'Registro Civil' has bureaucratic requirement and procedures to adhere to. One of them is that the person have a 'Cedula' in order to declare a birth. Incidentally, once a birth is registered in the 'Registro Civil' that person (child) is a Dominican citizen. 'Inscription' to the 'Registro Civil' is what makes the child's status official as far as I understand it - I could be wrong. If that wasn't the case then all babies born from Haitian parents in the DR would have a Birth Certificate without recognition of DR citizenship and the case of the two Haitian girls would not be before the International Court of Human Rights. The main thrust behind that case is the prohibition of illegals to get an education because a birth certificate is required for school enrollment .

NotLurking

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
davoucci19 said:
wow where in dominican republic was your baby born that they treated you that well...I might have to check that hospital out...lol......my mother is born in dominican republic and I dont know if that helps with legal status...but I am going to get all the paperwork together as well as find out more info on september when I GO..this is my first child and I want things of course to go right.....

That your mother was born in the DR gives you the right to apply for Dominican citizenship.

Browse through this thread where Gimabella did the process and tells of the steps. ttp://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37581&highlight=Dominican+citizenship

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
NotLurking said:
Hillbilly, I don't think it's that clear. I think it is rather complicated. The 'Registro Civil' has bureaucratic requirement and procedures to adhere to. One of them is that the person have a 'Cedula' in order to declare a birth. Incidentally, once a birth is registered in the 'Registro Civil' that person (child) is a Dominican citizen. 'Inscription' to the 'Registro Civil' is what makes the child's status official as far as I understand it - I could be wrong. If that wasn't the case then all babies born from Haitian parents in the DR would have a Birth Certificate without recognition of DR citizenship and the case of the two Haitian girls would not be before the International Court of Human Rights. The main thrust behind that case is the prohibition of illegals to get an education because a birth certificate is required for school enrollment .

NotLurking

The problem affecting Haitian illegals getting an education will be resolved with the Education IDs the Ministry of Education plans to issue as of 2007. With these IDs the children of Haitian immigrants that do not have legal papers can still get an education (at the cost of Dominican taxpayers). At the present time, there are many difficulties going beyond the elementary school level, and many times even enrolling in the first grade.

davoucci19

Apr 9, 2005
Dolores said:
That your mother was born in the DR gives you the right to apply for Dominican citizenship.

Browse through this thread where Gimabella did the process and tells of the steps. ttp://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37581&highlight=Dominican+citizenship

I guess my worry with that is if the baby is born in D.R and I apply for citizenship will the baby have a dominican passport ultimately making it a hassle for me to get the baby back in the states when the 4months that I want to be there is up......because I figured if I stay there have the baby and get the birth certificate go to the american consulate get a us passport it shouldnt be such a big problem for me to come back with the baby......I will definitely need to go to the u.s consulate to find out in detail how this works

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
davoucci19 said:
I guess my worry with that is if the baby is born in D.R and I apply for citizenship will the baby have a dominican passport ultimately making it a hassle for me to get the baby back in the states when the 4months that I want to be there is up......because I figured if I stay there have the baby and get the birth certificate go to the american consulate get a us passport it shouldnt be such a big problem for me to come back with the baby......I will definitely need to go to the u.s consulate to find out in detail how this works

Listen, you will have NO hassles if your baby has dual nationality. In fact, many would encourage it, including me! If your baby is recognized as a Dominican Citizen and you choose to get him/her a DR passport that is fine and dandy. Your baby will also be a US citizen and obtaining a US passport is quite easy once the US Consular legally recognizes your baby as a US citizen. Notice that in both instances, your baby needs legal recognition from the pertinent agency. All agencies have requirements that need to be complied with according to the law or set procedures. Therein lies my concerns and my focus on caution. Do your homework so there are no surprises down the road. If you have to consult with legal council, do so. if you can obtain your DR citizenship prior to the birth of your baby that would be ideal and most, if not all, of your worries should vanish.

Once you have a legal record of your baby's birth, a Dominican birth Certificate if born in DR, the rest is cake as it relates to registering your baby in the US Consular Office. And getting a US passport for him/her is just filing form DS-11 and paying the fee which btw is part of the Consular Registration process.

The whole process is simple. The following link outlines the process.
http://www.usemb.gov.do/Consular/ACS/crba_documentary_evidence-e.htm

NotLurking

davoucci19

Apr 9, 2005
NotLurking said:
Listen, you will have NO hassles if your baby has dual nationality. In fact, many would encourage it, including me! If your baby is recognized as a Dominican Citizen and you choose to get him/her a DR passport that is fine and dandy. Your baby will also be a US citizen and obtaining a US passport is quite easy once the US Consular legally recognizes your baby as a US citizen. Notice that in both instances, your baby needs legal recognition from the pertinent agency. All agencies have requirements that need to be complied with according to the law or set procedures. Therein lies my concerns and my focus on caution. Do your homework so there are no surprises down the road. If you have to consult with legal council, do so. if you can obtain your DR citizenship prior to the birth of your baby that would be ideal and most, if not all, of your worries should vanish.

Once you have a legal record of your baby's birth, a Dominican birth Certificate if born in DR, the rest is cake as it relates to registering your baby in the US Consular Office. And getting a US passport for him/her is just filing form DS-11 and paying the fee which btw is part of the Consular Registration process.

The whole process is simple. The following link outlines the process.
http://www.usemb.gov.do/Consular/ACS/crba_documentary_evidence-e.htm

NotLurking

ONCE AGAIN THANK YO USO MUCH FOR THE INFO I WILL DEFINITELY LOOK INTO IT AND APPLY/YOU GUYS HAVE BEEN A GREAT HELP

boutson21

Jan 11, 2013
My daughter will be born on the January 27 2013 i'm a us citizen, my wife live in Dominican republic she's a student, she has a Dominican visa {but she's Haitian .After birth I would like to take my daughter to the US consulate for her american passport but as far what I know about Dominican constitution they don't give birth certificate to foreigner .......If someone out there knows more than what I know I need help.Thank you.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Where do you live?If you don't live with your wife here in the DR, or even if you do, you will have to prove to the US Counsel here in the DR, that you were here around the time your wife got pregnant. Save all sonograms, Doctors notes,especially fotos of you with the mother during her pregnant time. Fotos of the 3 of you together.You need your passport to prove when you were here.
My 3 kids were all born here, I am an American citizen, my Dominican wife is not.
The counsel will give you a ton of forms to fill out.
Hospital records, and Dominican birth certificate, and more!
Where were you and your wife married? You will need official records of the marriage certificate.
I hired a Dominican lawyer here in "SD".
He did EVERYTHING.
Cost $500 US each.
The American Counsel said it was the best record/proof she had ever seen!
You will also have to go to the counsel office here in SD a few times with your wife and baby.
Does your wife have a visa to travel to the USA??
If not, you are in for even MORE paperwork, records, certificates to TRY and get her a visa, which may mean going to Haiti to get them.
Cris Colon

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
My daughter will be born on the January 27 2013 i'm a us citizen, my wife live in Dominican republic she's a student, she has a Dominican visa {but she's Haitian .After birth I would like to take my daughter to the US consulate for her american passport but as far what I know about Dominican constitution they don't give birth certificate to foreigner .......If someone out there knows more than what I know I need help.Thank you.

Assuming that your wife gives birth in a Dominican hospital, your baby will be given a certificate of birth in pink, called the Libra Rosada. That is to register a birth to a foreign mother.

Then you must take it to the American Embassy to go through their process.

You should also take a copy to the Haitian Embassy to register the baby as a Haitian. That way, s/he will be guaranteed her mother;s \nationality. If she is not registered, she may lose the right to vote in Haiti later.. *never know, she might want it), which has now been grated to anyone with dual citizenship.

Coingratulations...

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I don't know if it helps or not but we went through this with our daughter. I am British, my wife is Dominican, we live here and I have residency. When our little girl was born we got the proof of birth from the hospital, went to the local office and got her a Dominican birth certificate. We then contacted the British Embassy and registered her birth. Some time later we applied for a British Passport for her, very few questions as they all ready had her registered with them. Remarkably hassle
free and we only paid the standard fees which were not at all exorbitant. Good luck anyway.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Sorry, forgot to say that there was no hassle either getting her Dominican Passport, we use her Dominican one to leave and enter this country and her British one for UK entry and exit. We found all officialdom very helpful.

Mariposazul

May 5, 2005
I have a question:

I'm pregnant (not really) and an American, but resident here in the D.R. (for 12years).
My husband is Dominican.

Our child...born and if they are raised here--------and DON't live in the U.S. for 5 years..........and they are married to a Dominican...........then our grandchildren won't be American, right?????????????

How does it work....if an American woman gives birth in the D.R. with a Dominican husband?????????????????????

SO many people are saying stuff gets screwed up when you don't have your child in the U.S.

Tell me, send me links, thanks!!!!!