How Much to pay a Haitian handyman?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
So that it is clear to this mod and since I don't live there, is a Haitian worker doing the same job paid less than a Dominican worker?

Is that the reason for this title? It does sound like someone saying, how much do you pay your slave and we don't want to sound like that ;)

One of course would be a legal worker and the other illegal.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
make that ANYBODY who attaches to you like a lamprey....

The OP is on very shaky ground and has become obligated to this self appointed handyman.

That can be very dangerous here.

I agree!!!!!!

Be very careful

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
Being careful is always a good idea and testing the person's honesty is a very good insider tip. Lay out a few traps and see if the guy falls into them.

At some point though if you want to have domestic help you have to take a leap of faith. That may mean your friend's, maid referred this person, your neighbor's cousin from the campo is in town looking for work, a builder down the street recommends this person or the person just knocked on your door looking for odd jobs, you never REALLY know until you give the person a test drive.

I also wanted to point out that I've had better experiences with Haitians than with Dominicans in terms of honesty/work ethic. I've never had a Haitian try to steal from me or lie to me and when you give them a back breaking job, they don't bitch.

We have a Haitian who lives in a fancy house across the street "Watching" it for the owner (here in Santo Domingo nearly everyone in our neighborhood has a Haitian or two on staff). Subsequently, we started having him wash the cars, help clear out trash, lifts heavy objects, etc. and he's worked his way into watching the place and having keys when we're out of town. He also seems to be the hub for other Haitian domestics in the neighborhood as they pass by to pay him a visit. He plays a guitar, so they stop, sing and visit a while. I think he's like the DR1 for local Haitians. At any rate, he seems happy as a pig in slop to have found a second patron. He has a place to stay from the neighbors and walking around money from us.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Being careful is always a good idea and testing the person's honesty is a very good insider tip. Lay out a few traps and see if the guy falls into them.

At some point though if you want to have domestic help you have to take a leap of faith. That may mean your friend's, maid referred this person, your neighbor's cousin from the campo is in town looking for work, a builder down the street recommends this person or the person just knocked on your door looking for odd jobs, you never REALLY know until you give the person a test drive.

I also wanted to point out that I've had better experiences with Haitians than with Dominicans in terms of honesty/work ethic. I've never had a Haitian try to steal from me or lie to me and when you give them a back breaking job, they don't bitch.

We have a Haitian who lives in a fancy house across the street "Watching" it for the owner (here in Santo Domingo nearly everyone in our neighborhood has a Haitian or two on staff). Subsequently, we started having him wash the cars, help clear out trash, lifts heavy objects, etc. and he's worked his way into watching the place and having keys when we're out of town. He also seems to be the hub for other Haitian domestics in the neighborhood as they pass by to pay him a visit. He plays a guitar, so they stop, sing and visit a while. I think he's like the DR1 for local Haitians. At any rate, he seems happy as a pig in slop to have found a second patron. He has a place to stay from the neighbors and walking around money from us.

We have had similar experiences (although there is no denying that there are some very dangerous Hatians...and Dominicans and gringos...out there) with several Haitian workers who have been sincere, hard working and honest. True Christians - and this is coming from a Jew!! - D

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Ask you Haitian worker to bring a copy of his birth certification, just in case you contract him as a full time worker. Have a receip signed any time you pay him (just in case) remember that Haitians workers in the DR goes to "La secretaria de trabajo" no matter their migratory status.

JJ