How Not To Become A Target Of Mafiosa, Corrupt Police, And Crime Syndicates?

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
"...but you knew that you would have been in some danger doing the same back home, too, right?"

I live in the UK and only criminals need to worry about the police here (some minorities may disagree with that statement, but that is another topic completely)... protecting myself from the police or anybody except criminals and lowlifes is a strange concept to me...

In what way do the police target foreigners? Who else in the goverment / services target foreigners?

you just don't see it. If you live in the UK it's the government that has you conned. And if you cannot see this, then you would stand NO chance here........

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
[QUOTEI've lived here for 6 years and have never had an issue with the police.][/QUOTE] same here but i live in a tourist area hmmm ah well cant make anything out of that

LeeStetson

Jan 11, 2012
To the OP Im curious why you are worried about this? Have you been targeted by some mafiosi?

No, I have not been targeted by any criminals and I started this thread to get an interesting discussion going. I also started it because I encountered a former Canadian (who has lived in the D.R. for many years) on the beach at Sosua who was targeted by a scheme involving some corrupt police and lawyers. I guess that incident started this thread and also the fact that I had just read the posts of someone in another thread talking about the mafiosa.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The old saw that says something like: "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is..." is most likely what happened to the guy you met.

There are people fishing all the time for new suckers. "There's one born every day???" said somebody...

HB

LeeStetson

Jan 11, 2012
The old saw that says something like: "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is..." is most likely what happened to the guy you met.

There are people fishing all the time for new suckers. "There's one born every day???" said somebody...
HB

No, it was not like that at all with the Canadian I was talking to on Sosua Beach. I can not remember the exact details of the story but he did not fall for some too good to be true scheme. He was set up and accused of hitting someone in his car, and the police got involved in a corrupt way and corrupt lawyers got involved and he ended up paying thousands of dollars to make this one go away. The way he described it you could see that he was set up and corrupt officials got involved etc. I wish I could remember the details and I wish you had been there to hear it yourself. It was all an elaborate "set up" from the start to end.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

This is what my Dad always said and it is my perspective and is valid wherever you go, whether it be the DR or the US, etc.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Normal Setup?

No, it was not like that at all with the Canadian I was talking to on Sosua Beach. I can not remember the exact details of the story but he did not fall for some too good to be true scheme. He was set up and accused of hitting someone in his car, and the police got involved in a corrupt way and corrupt lawyers got involved and he ended up paying thousands of dollars to make this one go away. The way he described it you could see that he was set up and corrupt officials got involved etc. I wish I could remember the details and I wish you had been there to hear it yourself. It was all an elaborate "set up" from the start to end.

I hear people say 'ah, that happens everywhere...

Maybe somebody can give me a list of those everywhere countries so I may avoid them?

donP

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I hear people say 'ah, that happens everywhere...

Maybe somebody can give me a list of those everywhere countries so I may avoid them?

donP

Honestly Don you must be a masochist given that you live in the DR. Just sayin. :)

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Sometimes the ex pats are more dangerous than the locals.

These are words of wisdom. Just because someone is from your country does not mean they are really your friend....

The ex pat community is great but there are some dubios characters around.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Country List

Honestly Don you must be a masochist given that you live in the DR.

Again you drew the wrong conclusion. :lick:

If my love for this country should ever allow me to leave this paradise, I want to make a well-informed decision which country to relocate to.
That's all.

donP

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Again you drew the wrong conclusion. :lick:

If my love for this country should ever allow me to leave this paradise, I want to make a well-informed decision which country to relocate to.
That's all.

Really??? you love the DR? why Mr.DonP,I am impressed! after all the negative things you've said
about this island paradise,I'm flabbergasted!:)

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
you just don't see it. If you live in the UK it's the government that has you conned. And if you cannot see this, then you would stand NO chance here........

Sorry my bolloxometer is twitching into the red, what on earth does this comment mean, lol? It is ok to say you don't actually know if that is the case:confused: we all make stupid remarks from time to time that sound good in our heads, until they are written down or said:rolleyes:

bluewater101

Aug 26, 2012
good advice
flags_0
flags_0
.jpg