How Not to Miss the Samana Hwy Turnoff?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
RE: Sign

what about passing the hat for a sign and DR1 matches the fund raising...

Sign has a DR1 advert on it.....
50/50 effort

Is the Grand Poobah on board for half (or more) ?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Dear Dr1ers/expert drivers,

I fear the directions I give our rental guests arriving to SDQ are inadequate, as they often miss the turnoff to the Samana Highway and end up lost in the city. And despite my pleas that they arrive to the much easier POP (to Cabrera) it is not always possible, especially from Europe, I guess.

I don't suppose anyone has a photo of that very little sign? It just says "Samana", right? Not "Hwy 7"? (If someone is passing by in the next day or so, maybe you could post one)?! I see in past blogs it is just past the tolls, which I did not recall. About how many clicks or minutes would you say it is from exiting the airport?

My guests are arriving at 18:00.....I pray they have a smooth rental car check-in to get them quickly on the road to Cabrera...and hopefully at least onto the highway during daylight.

I wonder, too, to whom might we appeal to get a big sign made?! All those billions spent....and not even a nice sign! Or maybe we could all chip in?!

Thanks so much....

Well, first of all if your renters are getting a car at the airport at SDQ have them stop at the Texaco to fill the car with gas. This convenience store is literally a minute down the road after you leave the airport. Pay with Pesos. Do not use credit cards. They can access Pesos either through an ATM or the Exchange Kiosk at the airport. They will need to get about rd4000 Pesos for gas and tolls. After gassing up stay in the right lane as you go past the toll booths. There is no toll for the direction they are going. After passing the toll booths get immediately in the left lane and take the over pass. When they come off the overpass get over to the right and as soon as possible get into the access road all the way on the right. Stay on this road. When they pass the small bus station on the right they will see the entrance to the Santo Domingo/Samana Highway. Take a hard right and you will see the first set of toll booths. You will stay on this road for about 1hr 15 minutes until you intersect with Route 5 which goes east and west. You make a right turn and you are heading for El Catey Airport, and then the toll booths. Stay to the left and bear left onto the highway to Coson and Las Terrenas. Hopefully the trip is during the day and they don't get lost. I would not recommend POP. It is usually more expensive and further than SDQ. If you can get people to fly into El Catey(especially if they are coming from Canada) that is ideal. Good luck.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Thanks so much, guys. I really appreciate it. I think I will recommend overnighting in SD, and hitting the road in the A.M. Or, WW, what is the place near Boca Chica that you mentioned? And thanks for the 10 bucks, reilleyp! Anyone else?! Thanks again.
There is a very nice Quality Inn about 10 minutes from the airport which would be easy to get to. It is right off the highway heading towards the SD/Samana highway.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
There is a very nice Quality Inn about 10 minutes from the airport which would be easy to get to. It is right off the highway heading towards the SD/Samana highway.

If you take that very first right, just a few feet from the toll booth, it will take you right to that Quality Inn. It will be on the right. If you keep going past it, you will have your second opportunity to exit for Samana. The speed bumps will take off your axle, so take it easy.

Left on Red

Mar 10, 2012
Thanks again, everyone. Especially for the explicit directions...very helpful. Maybe I will look into "Kickstarter" to start a fundraiser for the sign.....more to follow. (P.S. Managed to convince guests to overnight in SD, drive in AM. Am crediting one night for them).

May 29, 2006
What I've done for tricky turns is to take photos of the turn-off. Something just before, just after if you make the turn and more importantly, just after if you miss the turn.