How to convert beaten-up old ghetto car into new.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
squat, you live in santiago? The taller is in padre las casa, santiago. I will send phone # later.
AZB

Thank you. I often go to Santiago , as we have relatives there... (I live in Las Terrenas)

I might save some money and spend a couple of days there to transform my old, beaten-up "camioneta" into a fancier truck !

-How long did the process took ???

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
It takes 2 weeks to transform a ghetto car into a fancy baja panty.
Which means you have to leave the truck there for 2 weeks if you want a complete paint job and dents out.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Stripped down, painted and interior reupholstered for about $700US? Very good deal AZB. Now go to your local paint distributor and get a bottle of Mar Hyde (or similar brand) trim re-new for the bumpers. Product is an actual coating (NOT like Armor-all)) that will keep the exterior vinyl/plastic areas looking good for up to 6 months. Maybe the Dupont store near Hillbilly has or can get it.

Actually the price is 600 dollars total. Now my bumpers have a black rubber skin. how do I make it shiny new? Do I use shoe polish?
Please help.
AZB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
It takes 2 weeks to transform a ghetto car into a fancy baja panty.
Which means you have to leave the truck there for 2 weeks if you want a complete paint job and dents out.
AZB
How much in total did the mechanical refurbishing cost?

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Actually the price is 600 dollars total. Now my bumpers have a black rubber skin. how do I make it shiny new? Do I use shoe polish?
Please help.
AZB

No man, look around for the product I mentioned, will work fine on rubber. If none available PM me and would be glad to bring you a bottle when I come 1/21. Always do a round or more at Los Aromas with HB and could leave it with him, or meet up with me at the course. Will cost you a beer.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
How much in total did the mechanical refurbishing cost?

I know what you are getting at. I am not so stupid to have invested so much money into an old car which could have enabled me to buy a nicer used car instead.
I always keep my cars in good mechanical condition no matter what country I live in. The repairs on my old car was done over a long time. I used to drive that car full time so naturally I kept up with the repairs. This is why my car was in good mechanical condition and for that same reason I invested in the exterior refurbishment. I didn't just pour money into this car and fixed the engine, transmission, power steering etc etc so i can paint it an make it new again. The car was driving fine so all was needed was exterior face-lift.
I don;t know how much money I spent on the mechanical repairs over the years. I don't keep a record of all that, besides the prices have changed as the dollar went up in value and then decreased.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
No man, look around for the product I mentioned, will work fine on rubber. If none available PM me and would be glad to bring you a bottle when I come 1/21. Always do a round or more at Los Aromas with HB and could leave it with him, or meet up with me at the course. Will cost you a beer.

Thanks randy, I will go looking for this product tomorrow.
AZB

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Please help.
AZB

The same stuff you used on your tires (tire-shine foam or similar) will work for a while. Silicone spray is just about the same. But you will have to repeat it on and on.
The other way arround is to paint the bumpers using a special primer and color mixture (available in the States).

For $600.oo it looks great... now you have to work on that crackled tarmac there underneath ;)

One day I may ask you for the addresses where you had it done! ... J-D.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I know what you are getting at. I am not so stupid to have invested so much money into an old car which could have enabled me to buy a nicer used car instead.
I always keep my cars in good mechanical condition no matter what country I live in. The repairs on my old car was done over a long time. I used to drive that car full time so naturally I kept up with the repairs. This is why my car was in good mechanical condition and for that same reason I invested in the exterior refurbishment. I didn't just pour money into this car and fixed the engine, transmission, power steering etc etc so i can paint it an make it new again. The car was driving fine so all was needed was exterior face-lift.
I don;t know how much money I spent on the mechanical repairs over the years. I don't keep a record of all that, besides the prices have changed as the dollar went up in value and then decreased.
AZB
As you know, there is a cost/benefit in doing cart repairs/restoration. There is a point that the $$$ put into a car exceeds it's worth.

I've been a gearhead all my life (hence my handle). It's one thing to be upside down in a cool toy car. It's something entirely different in a daily-driver type, where $$$ can be better invested.

I'm restoring an old Jaguar now. I'll be so far upside down when it's done it's rediculous. But I won't think about it when the old XKE hits the road for the first time since the project started 12 years ago.

Work in Progress, Runs Great

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Well cobraboy, my car is no classic material, I only abuse it on DR street; actually i drive it like a jeep. The money I have invested in it is nothing because the labor and repair is so cheap in this country. In USA I would have junked this car 5 yrs ago.
AZB

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
The same stuff you used on your tires (tire-shine foam or similar) will work for a while. Silicone spray is just about the same. But you will have to repeat it on and on.
The other way arround is to paint the bumpers using a special primer and color mixture (available in the States).

For $600.oo it looks great... now you have to work on that crackled tarmac there underneath ;)

One day I may ask you for the addresses where you had it done! ... J-D.

The "special primer" you mention is called adhesion promoter, and a qt. of flexible paint will set him back about $70 plus labor as this stuff must be sprayed. The Mar-Hyde product I mentioned cost $11 here in the states and he can put it on. Fusor makes a higher end coating for about $35. Seeing as AZB only has about 6bills into this acrylic enamel job the coating would be the least expensive long term solution. I am a distributor for paint and body supplies, hence the "1 beer" offer to bring a kit of this non-isocyanate coating with me. Looks good and will last a mininum of 6 mesa's, unlike tire shine or silicone- 1 week tops.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
wait, you will bring me the bumper paint for a price of 1 beer? Is this what i am hearing?
Please clarify.
AZB

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Sure why not? We were supposed to get together for a beer since about,um, maybe 10yrs ago? And I promise not ask you to be my "pimp for a day".LOL

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Sure why not? We were supposed to get together for a beer since about,um, maybe 10yrs ago? And I promise not ask you to be my "pimp for a day".LOL

Randy I get so many PM that I forget who is who. Sure come to santiago and I will buy all the beer you can drink.
AZB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
We'll do it at my house....Randy owes me a visit or two....and now you know where i live, so we'll do it here...Heck, I'll even supply the beer!!!

HB

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Clear calender for my open dates 1/22 to 1/25 men! Maybe grahame will go for a bus ride (with clubs of course) too.