How to determine value of a property?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
la Joya, la Calle los pintores. There are other solars in that area for sale. Wells are required. Ours is 160 feet, at 950 pesos per foot. It isn't isolated but because it is a no through road there isn't much traffic. Same road as Jarabacoa Hostel (Jehovah Witness hotel)

$3000+ dollars for a well?

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Yes that is the rate charged. Its higher in some cases. 10 year guarantee

Get this: Back in 2001 when I bought the farm in Puerto Plata, I paid 4 really short brothers something like $400 to dig a 40' well.. by hand! Pick and shovel all the way.

I had to wait until they were available due to the amount of pending jobs they had.

After they hit water, they kept a pump going to keep the level down so the could keep digging.

Once they finished digging, they laid blocks in a circle all the way back up to the surface.

If I hadn't seen them do it myself, I would never have believed it.

I wonder if Escott still has his rig?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Get this: Back in 2001 when I bought the farm in Puerto Plata, I paid 4 really short brothers something like $400 to dig a 40' well.. by hand! Pick and shovel all the way.

I had to wait until they were available due to the amount of pending jobs they had.

After they hit water, they kept a pump going to keep the level down so the could keep digging.

Once they finished digging, they laid blocks in a circle all the way back up to the surface.

If I hadn't seen them do it myself, I would never have believed it.

I wonder if Escott still has his rig?

That is impressive. Did they take any safety measures? 40 feet is a long ways down with open sidewalls.

How big in diameter?

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
That is impressive. Did they take any safety measures? 40 feet is a long ways down with open sidewalls.

How big in diameter?

They actually climbed up and down with notches they dug in the sides. They also had a ladder hanging just in case but I never saw them use it.

The hole itself was about 4 1/2 feet wide. Just enough for them to swing a pick ax with a shortened handle.

I don't remember their names, but out where I lived everybody knew who they were. Pretty impressive when you remember they're from Santiago.

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
The entire nation is for sale.
Take your pick of painful methods.
Little of what you see is real; little of what you are told is true.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.
Be the one eyed man.

GabrielNavas

Feb 17, 2019
Hi everyone, I'm thinking about buying in Punta Cana, I have a buy-to-let plan but I came across with this thread in this site and now I'm thinking maybe it's not a good time for buying a property in DR. Also I'm not sure if the villa I added above is way more overpriced or not. I thought maybe you could help. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Ok so I read a couple of the previous treads on the subject, and usually what people do is contact multiple RE agents till they hopefully find "a somewhat trustworthy agent".,

So there's a lot more leg work to be done in DR, which I don't mind

But my main concern is that here in the U.S I don't trust RE agents because agents are always thinking in terms of commission many here don't show properties because they offer a low 2% instead of the industry standard 3%. I don't even trust brokers. so I'm guessing it would be even harder for me to trust an agent in DR since they're not regulated.

Now my question is,
Do RE agent in DR have some type of MLS system that they have access to multiple property listing? if they do how can one have access to it?

If they don't how to RE agents find properties?

If I wanted to be my own RE agent and willing to do the leg work what methods can I use to find properties? other than just Driving or listing websites

If I want to buy a repossed bank property how can I go about finding these types properties?

thanks

I would not trust all the International RE Agencies in RD as well. I live in a so called Gated Community in Luperon Hills, near Luperon. Recently I noted the Common land and recreational area of our sub-division for sale. Even the five townhouses were for sale for $250,000.ooUSD. One is condemned ,one unfinished and three others sold with Deslinde deeds. The pool and common property zone were also offered as a potential business investment for $250,000.oo. We approached the RA and told them the offer was illegal and the land already owned. Now it is offered again without pictures.
Luperon zone around the town is a hot bed of property ownership contention and recently there were several protests where some protesters were shot by Police .... Buyer beware... money can do marvelous things in this country.
Sell Deslinde titles only.... prices will inncrease to include your commission and inflate once an offer is made.
No sour grapes here, just facts to ponder.
Russell

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Human nature and man's dependence on money pretty much ensures that greed and avarice will endure. In the absence of enforced regulations, codes of conduct and direct consequences for professional excesses, the real estate market in this country is a minefield.

The saying I heard not long after arriving in this country and that sticks with me to this day:

"A local will take you for a 1000 pesos, a foreigner will take you for a 1000 dollars"

Whether you are buying a table, chair or a house, the purchaser in this country is solely responsible for determining the best possible price or choosing to walk away and look elsewhere. No one here other than you is interested in or focused on the lowest possible price. You cannot rely on the advice of someone whose own personal interests are in direct competition with your own when they are not governed by a code of professional conduct that protects their clients and allows for some sort of redress if that client is taken advantage of.

This is the same for many professions in this country. Builders, lawyers, plumbers, electricians, police, doctors, judges and of course let's not forget the politicians. All operate within a nebulous environment with limited or nonexistent accountability for their failings.

KikoElgordobello

Mar 9, 2019
In the DR, value of property is "What are you willing to give for it" and moreover, "What the owner is willing to sell it for".
Those numbers are very fluid depending on personal situations of the parties involved.
Those are the best comps you will find.
Always have a trusted local do your original leg-work on the property. A gringo will always get 2x or 3x the true price.

Just my experience over the years.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
In my experience, you find a place a drive around talking to people. Do this frequently.

I just bought 1600 m2 on the rio Ozama with 44m of river frontage for 450k. When I first inquired about the lot, I was told they owner would never sell. lol

Usually people sell land very cheap when they have economic troubles and most usually will at some time or another. Be patient.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
In my experience, you find a place a drive around talking to people. Do this frequently.

I just bought 1600 m2 on the rio Ozama with 44m of river frontage for 450k. When I first inquired about the lot, I was told they owner would never sell. lol

Usually people sell land very cheap when they have economic troubles and most usually will at some time or another. Be patient.

Sounds like Cuesta Brava...lol

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
Hello,

I have been traveling a lot to DR, and I will like to purchase a property with financing options. (I will be getting my dominican citizingship in the next couple month - parents are dominicans).

I'm a real estate broker in the U.S and have flip some properties, here you can determine the value of a property by looking at the comparables properties that have sold in close proximity in the last 3 month. Here in the states property sale records are public and are available on the internet.

How can this method be applied in the DR? Are those record public somehow? How do appraiser really determine the value of a property in DR? I don't want to hire an appraiser for every property I look at (and I like to look at a lot & make multiple offers)

I'm used to making offers here in the U.S without even seeing the property in person sometimes.

Help will be appreciated, thanks!
Seems very difficult to get comps.