How to dress as a woman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
If you are coming as a tourist, the above advice holds good. If you were coming to live here, you would want to err on the side of being dressed in a reserved fashion to start with until you have found your feet, maybe more reserved than you are accustomed to (despite how the local girls dress). Reputations once lost are hard to regain and many judge on appearances; not that they would ever tell you. But for a tourist who leaves after 1 or 2 weeks, maybe reputation isn't so crucial.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
I'm surprised that they don't wear flip flops outside the house but don't mind walking around town with rollers on their hair. Is this a rule every where in the country or only in the capital and main cities? I never paid attention to flip flops but the rollers did catch my attention though.

LOL! It is funny how something you are so use to others find so different.
I remember this American white guy with his Dominican novia in a cafe asked me in a puzzled way 'why do all these women wear all that stuff in their hair and go out in public or sleep with it?'
Walking around with a head wrap/mesh and rollers, is common in all developing Caribbean islands, black urban communities, etc.
Just like these same womens reaction when it rains...a mad dash for cover or the closest plastic bag or shower cap to protect their hair. lol

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I got a waitressing job in a burger joint in Xenia, Ohio (US) whilst on my travels 45 years ago and many of the women wore rollers when coming in for a meal. I can remember adopting my best anthropological questioning accent & asking if rollers were a status symbol in the US ;). But by the time I moved here to the DR I didn't even notice it .

Gaia

Jul 4, 2009
A real answer

Since no one helped you, I'll chime in. I've only been here for about two and a half months, so I'm no expert.

What is appropriate depends on where you're going, of course. Women typically wear long pants (jeans) but then as far as a top, anything seems to go. Cleavage seems okay. You won't see many women wearing short skirts or shorts. In fact, I've only seen young girls wearing shorts. If you wear short shorts out dancing, I suggest maybe a top that is not quite as revealing.

I don't know what skin color you are, but as a white female, I tend to dress more conservatively then I might if I were darker skin because my skin color already seems to draw attention to me.

As for makeup, people seem to wear it on the light side, if at all. It's so damn hot now anyways that it would probably just drip off! If you have any other questions, let me know.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
An Amusing Answer...

Gaia - I'm not picking your post apart, just adding some comments. Don't take it the wrong way.

Cleavage seems okay. .

Yes, I would have to agree with that statement. :bunny:

Seriously tho, you will see more cleavage here, everywhere, then you would in the States. Tight Designer Jeans and a little cleavage on a bank employee is not uncommon.

You won't see many women wearing short skirts or shorts. .

This is true. Dominicans as a rule shy away from shorts. You will see some short skirts in the discos though.

You will see a lot of female toursts in the discos wearing flip flops - I don't think it's frowned upon. And you will even see a lot of flip flops being worn by dominicanas during the day. If the're out at nite it's usually heels. I know these facts because I happen to be a connoisseur of ....uhhh , never mind.

I don't know what skin color you are, but as a white female, I tend to dress more conservatively then I might if I were darker skin because my skin color already seems to draw attention to me. .

I think this speaks more towards "blending" then to "appropriate attire". But may be still helpful to the OP. I could never pass for a Dominicano but I can sure blend. I have been known to say that I have the dominicano walk down perfect. People think I jest, but no, I can walk like a dominican.

I give "Dominican Walking" lessons every couple months in Sosua. We walk from Bar to Bar and your cost is a few Presidentes. The lesson lasts as long as we can walk....:bunny:

Yeah, I blend....

Status
Not open for further replies.