how to get new stamp in passport without leaving the country?

Big Dan

Feb 14, 2009
Ruben, my story might help...

I also needed to show legal status using my passport for a transaction I conducted while living in DR. I overstayed my tourist visa after starting the residency process (which I later decided to abandon).

My overstay, according to my passport (in my hand at the moment) was over 1 year. My wife, who is Haitian, had a 1 year visa for Dominican Republic which was to expire.

So, the plan was to clear my fine and re-enter DR, and for my my wife to get a new 1 year visa for DR.

Photos of the crossing can be seen here:

http://www.vagabondjourney.com/crossing-border-between-dominican-republic-and-haiti/

We drove to Dajabon, which fit the bill for both purposes, and walked across the border. I paid my fine and had my passport stamped with a circular stamp that states "impuesto pago". My wife had her passport stamped, and we walked across and had our passports stamped for entry at Ouanaminthe, Haiti. In Ouanaminthe there is a Dominican Consular office, so we went there and had my wife's 1 year visa renewed for an additional year. The Consular officer offered us "rush" service for an extra $50 U.S. along with the $200 fee for the visa. Without the $50 rush we would have had to say overnight (which would not have been a problem as I have stayed overnight in Ouanaminthe before). I had a car parked on the Dajabon side, so we opted to pay for the "rush".

After having the new visa pasted into my wife's visa, we jumped on a Haitian moto to the Ouanaminthe crossing.

The Haitian immigration officer stamped our departure, and we walked over the the Dominican immigration office.

Initially I was denied re-entry DR, and they were arguing with me about the fine I didn't pay. I had to point to the woman I paid the fine to and tell them to talk to her about the fine (she apparently pocketed the cash). After a 20 minute argument, and using a Haitian "facilitator" (100 peso charge), I was allowed to re-enter DR, and was stamped for entry again.

Again, all of this was done on the same day, but I imagine there is a possibility that you will have to stay in Ouanaminthe at least overnight if you don't start the process in the morning and get back across to DR by 3:00 pm (border closing).

The process we used made me a "legal" tourist again, and made my wife a legal "entity" for another year.

Last edited:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
and what happened to you Derfish with that cop???

Personally, I don't believe it happened. I have been here a long time and this is the first I have heard of a cop asking to see someone's Passport on the street.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
When they ask to see Derfish passport it had little to do with him being in DR, but the police was making sure Derfish belong to this planet.

We get a lot of aliens from other planets on this side of earth. The officer maybe felt Derfish looked like he did not belong on this planet of something.

"Men in Black" X Files etc. are hollywood creations but it is some truth to it. Good Job to the Dominican cop for keeping us safe from:alien:

Feb 7, 2007
When they ask to see Derfish passport it had little to do with him being in DR, but the police was making sure Derfish belong to this planet.

We get a lot of aliens from other planets on this side of earth. The officer maybe felt Derfish looked like he did not belong on this planet of something.

"Men in Black" X Files etc. are hollywood creations but it is some truth to it. Good Job to the Dominican cop for keeping us safe from:alien:

That is absolutely correct. Aliens or Demons.

Presumen que un raro animal descuartiza reses y caballos en Hato Mayor

A rare animal/ghost/demon is cutting heads of animals in several campos close to Hato Mayo ... cows, donkeys, horses, etc are all affected. One man recounts that he stopped by a neighbor's house to drink a cup of coffee and when he went outside his horse was beheaded ...

Now the locals are growing disturbed and afraid that same as happened with "gripe porcina" (pig flu), that this strange phenomena will hop from animals to humans.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Personally, I don't believe it happened. I have been here a long time and this is the first I have heard of a cop asking to see someone's Passport on the street.

he was in a car. normally you'd present cedula (ID) and the licence. so it is possible that without cedula cops could ask for another form of ID. can't say because i have never been stopped by the police here. it may be that they did wave and i did not notice, thou :alien:

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
Hi Big Dan, thanks for that info. In fact I was thinking about going to Haiti to not spend so much money and to not being into the trouble of airlines asking me for a returning ticket to leave DR, but wondering if Haiti trip would be a really tough trip and who knows if even dangerous ...
On the other hand, I was told you must be outside DR for 3 days to be able to entry again without no problem, but looks like you did in the same day!

Ruben, my story might help...

I also needed to show legal status using my passport for a transaction I conducted while living in DR. I overstayed my tourist visa after starting the residency process (which I later decided to abandon).

My overstay, according to my passport (in my hand at the moment) was over 1 year. My wife, who is Haitian, had a 1 year visa for Dominican Republic which was to expire.

So, the plan was to clear my fine and re-enter DR, and for my my wife to get a new 1 year visa for DR.

Photos of the crossing can be seen here:

Crossing Border Between Dominican Republic and Haiti

We drove to Dajabon, which fit the bill for both purposes, and walked across the border. I paid my fine and had my passport stamped with a circular stamp that states "impuesto pago". My wife had her passport stamped, and we walked across and had our passports stamped for entry at Ouanaminthe, Haiti. In Ouanaminthe there is a Dominican Consular office, so we went there and had my wife's 1 year visa renewed for an additional year. The Consular officer offered us "rush" service for an extra $50 U.S. along with the $200 fee for the visa. Without the $50 rush we would have had to say overnight (which would not have been a problem as I have stayed overnight in Ouanaminthe before). I had a car parked on the Dajabon side, so we opted to pay for the "rush".

After having the new visa pasted into my wife's visa, we jumped on a Haitian moto to the Ouanaminthe crossing.

The Haitian immigration officer stamped our departure, and we walked over the the Dominican immigration office.

Initially I was denied re-entry DR, and they were arguing with me about the fine I didn't pay. I had to point to the woman I paid the fine to and tell them to talk to her about the fine (she apparently pocketed the cash). After a 20 minute argument, and using a Haitian "facilitator" (100 peso charge), I was allowed to re-enter DR, and was stamped for entry again.

Again, all of this was done on the same day, but I imagine there is a possibility that you will have to stay in Ouanaminthe at least overnight if you don't start the process in the morning and get back across to DR by 3:00 pm (border closing).

The process we used made me a "legal" tourist again, and made my wife a legal "entity" for another year.

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
Big Dan, I assume that going to Dajabon (is that already Haiti?) is enough to get passport stamped and going back then to DR, right?

Big Dan

Feb 14, 2009
Big Dan, I assume that going to Dajabon (is that already Haiti?) is enough to get passport stamped and going back then to DR, right?

Yes, I did everything on the same day.

Dajabon is in DR, the northern border crossing to Haiti. You can walk across a bridge, seen in that link in my earlier post, to the Ouanaminthe, Haiti side. Your passport will be checked and your fine paid before you walk across to Haiti. Also, you may get your passport checked again by a UN soldier (they were observing border activity when I crossed), or by a civilian clothed Dominican immigration official (one grabbed my passport as I crossed to make sure I had an exit stamp). Just roll with it if it happens...the less surprised you look with what is happening around you, the more normal you look, even if you are a gringo. There is a LOT of activity at that border crossing, and at the Jimani crossing as well.

Yes, it is ROUGH on the Haitian side directly across the border, but it "normals" out after about a mile of travel into Haiti. There is a hotel on the right side of the road beyond the border crossing that is clean enough, with two tiers of rooms: the main portion of the hotel has a restaurant and, if I recall, was the equivalent of $80 per night for a room. Those rooms were clean. It was hardly worth that money, but my white skin has a tax built into it. The lower tier rooms are outside the main building, but still inside the high walls and gate of the hotel (looked like an old southern plantation), and at a cost of, I believe, $1500 pesos which apparently included the gringo tax. Those rooms have one light bulb, a cold water shower (can't see inside the bathroom at night), and a TV (no cable). Those rooms were also clean

I stayed in the lower tiered rooms on a previous visit because I got to the border too late (drove from Port au Prince).

I never felt like I was in any danger in Ouanaminthe, which, quite surprisingly, is a little cleaner than Dajabon or Monte Christi, and I used motos in Ouanaminthe.

I don't recommend you take a car to Dajabon to do what I did; take a bus. I was unaware of any three day requirement to stay out of country (DR), but if that had happened I would have had major problem with my parked, unattended rental car.

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
thanks Big Dan, what do you think in your opinion it is the best option? move just to the border or take that kind of fast clean express bus from Santo Domingo to Cap Haitien or Puerto Principe, stay one night there and then leave again with a direct express bus to SD?
Cheers.

Big Dan

Feb 14, 2009
thanks Big Dan, what do you think in your opinion it is the best option? move just to the border or take that kind of fast clean express bus from Santo Domingo to Cap Haitien or Puerto Principe, stay one night there and then leave again with a direct express bus to SD?
Cheers.

Up to you, bro! You will be safer in Cap Haitien than the Capital. I always seemed to draw a crowd and was forced to stay inside my vehicle a lot when in Port au Prince.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Dan knows the ropes and procedure. He also has a Haitian wife who, I assume speaks both French and Spanish. I think you are taking a big risk to go this route in procuring a new stamp in your passport. You run the risk of Immigration and Customs to not allow your re-entry. If you decide to go this route bring your pesos to help the "process" along. Buenos suarte.

LTSTeve

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
LTSteve, yes I know it has some risk. BTW I speak Spanish so that helps. Im trying to go with an Haitian friend to go on the safe side, and about extra pesos to help the process, sure, I counted with that from the beginning ... for good or bad, maybe some pesos help to not having any problem ...

bluenose

Dec 31, 2007
I do not understand why you want a stamp in your passport. To avoid paying the overstay fee? That's the way it is. Or get a Residency and you have no worries. Either way you pay....

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
I do not understand why you want a stamp in your passport. To avoid paying the overstay fee? That's the way it is. Or get a Residency and you have no worries. Either way you pay....

It is not about not paying, I will have to PAY the overstay fee for sure, no matter which way I take, that is clear, but I need my passport stamped again because I have to do some legal matters and my passport will be checked. For that, I have no other way that getting a new stamp ... So I will have to leave the country ...

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
It is not about not paying, I will have to PAY the overstay fee for sure, no matter which way I take, that is clear, but I need my passport stamped again because I have to do some legal matters and my passport will be checked. For that, I have no other way that getting a new stamp ... So I will have to leave the country ...

If you ask for a prorroga, you will receive a paper with dates. The prorroga means you are legal in the D.R.