How to get to Canada?

La Profesora

Jun 23, 2002
One Way to Canada

Haven't done this in several years, but in the past all that was necessary (even post 9-11) was to call the TOUR OPERATORS in Puerto Plata and ask if they had space available on a return.

Puerto Plata Phone Numbers

Conquest Vacations 320-2038

World of Vacations/Regent 586-3487 or586-1662

Signature Vacations 586-2223 x 31

Sunquest/Alba 586-1311

Last time we purchased/inquired about a one way was January of 2002. At that time the fare was $400 CAD.

Rosanie

Sep 20, 2002
As of this month, the Tour operators are quoting $300 US for a one way ticket to either Toronto or Montreal.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I flew Airtransat one-way from POP to Vancouver last January. Two weeks later, I had to purchase a round trip ticket from Vancouver to return to POP. I could not go through the US because my girlfriend from Germany has a problem with US immigration.

Stopping people who are flying 'in transit' through the US is really gonna put a blow to terrorism. Bin Laden is gonna give up when he hears about this. LOL

The process of finding the ticket from POP to Canada was difficult, I was constantly told conflicting information on the telephone until I got tired of it and just went to the airport with my bags and got the last two seats of an Airtransat flight.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
cool! lots of info for Americano

I called Air Transat and was told you would need to go directly to the rep at the Air Transat counter, or to one of the tour companies at the airport, and you would be able to purchase a one way ticket. (the air transat guy I talked to last week said they were only working through Signature in the DR-- appears he was wrong?)

I called Signature as well and the guy said they normally would only sell a one-way to someone who had already flown with the tour on the Tor-DR segment and missed the return flight, but in an emergency they might allow someone off the street to book a one-way... this by traveling standby. Key word 'might'.

He said the price was about $500 Can for a one-way, close to figure Rosanie quoted.

He also stressed that they were reluctant to carry someone one-way who was not part of the tour because they had no way of verifying the identity of the traveler. Also, that you would definitely need a Canadian passport before Signature would risk it.

I wonder which tour company got hit by the fake visas as per debajoelsol's post? Probably wise to skip that one.

Maybe some of the other tour operators aren't as finicky, but that's the news from Canada's end. Nothing could be booked from here, btw.

Get thyself to the airport, dude! Good luck.

D

Last edited:

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
Hey, I wonder if Americano got out? Hope so.

I was thinking his handle was odd for a Canadian not allowed travel in the US... then it hit me:

America, no.

D

Americano

Aug 2, 2003
www.dominicanvilla.com
Update

Well thanks to everyone who helped.

Here is how it is going so far:

World of Vacations #809 - 586 - 3497 has no seats. I have been calling this number for well over a month now and there are never any seats.

Sunquest Alba Tours #809 - 261 - 6138 put me on a waiting list. They say the flight on Monday is sold out.

Sunway-Jetsgo #809 - 586 - 4000 only tells me to call a cell number when I call. The number I am given (2 times now) does not work.

Signature Vacations 586-2223 x 31 only has an answer machine or voce mail. I left a message and they never called me back.

The other numbers that are posted do not work. I am calling from my Orange cell and have tried with a 1 and without a 1 at the beginning.

Looks like I am still here another week!!!!

I am glad this is not an emergency where I really had to get back to Canada.

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
Not that this will make you feel any better

Not that this will make you feel any better, but you're in for a long wait! 2 years ago, 5 of my friends were stranded in POP for over 3 weeks. One of them worked for Air Transat at the time and she and her family took a 2 week holiday down in POP. They got one way seats from Toronto to POP. Well, after 2 weeks, they decided to return home and guess what, the flights were all booked. It was the same time of year as now! The summer rush home. 2 of them managed to get on a flight one week later. The other 3 waited it out....and waited...and waited. Finally, mom and dad came to the rescue and got them back to Canada via Santo Domingo (but via the States). It was an expensive ride home! Last minute one ways thru AA are much more expensive than a return flight.

If you're not in any rush, then I would suggest you relax for another week. By then, all the families should be back home (school started this week, and colleges and universities start next week).

I often travel to POP in August and the flights are always full. Jam packed.

Maryanne

Rosanie

Sep 20, 2002
cell # for Jetsgo

Here is the cell # for Jetsgo: # 710 - 7117

IS the number you have Americano?

Rosanie

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Re: Not that this will make you feel any better

maryanne said:
If you're not in any rush, then I would suggest you relax for another week. By then, all the families should be back home (school started this week, and colleges and universities start next week).

I often travel to POP in August and the flights are always full. Jam packed.Maryanne
And a fine thing for a person that owns his very own cottage industry like I do. My cottage industry is "GETTING BUMPED" and getting "$400-" vouchers. I collected 2 at the end of August and this will go into my book of musts when arranging airline travel for the future. Friday after Easter and End of August are a beautiful thing in my business.

Regards,
Escott

Americano

Aug 2, 2003
www.dominicanvilla.com
I am back in Canada

I flew back today on Air Canada. :cool:

The plane was 1/2 empty.

Seems Air Canada Vacations has LOTS of seats. :confused:

No one at the other places I called told me this! :ermm:

Oh well.....but for other Canadians who want to leave, it is $350 for a return ticket on ACV from the office in Peurto Plata.

Thanks to all those who helped. :smoke:

I will be back in the DR in a week I hope! :pirate: