How to handle road rage in D.R.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I have been driving here for 12 yrs. never really had a serious accident but I did hit one scooter. I went out, asked them if they were ok, told them to be careful next time and we both drove off. Once I hit police man, who was guiding traffic. I never saw him jump in front of my car; by the time I saw him, I had already hit him. He took out his handcuff and was yelling at me like a mad man. I had to pull out BS 102 from my ass and calmed the guy down. Gave him my card, shook his hand and drove away. Then there was this truck which was falling in pieces, hit me from the back and broke my bumper. I laughed and drove away. He had no insurance or anything. I was not about to waste time beating on a dead horse. Not worth it.
Just take it easy, its not as bad as you guys think.
AZB

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I have never been in an accident, never been pulled over, never had rocks thrown at my windshield, never had to worry about irate drivers, fuel prices, maintenance, insurance or any of the above. Aren't taxi's just grand.........and worth every peso.....

B in Santiago

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
.......Then there was this truck which was falling in pieces, hit me from the back and broke my bumper. I laughed and drove away. He had no insurance or anything. I was not about to waste time beating on a dead horse. Not worth it.
Just take it easy, its not as bad as you guys think.
AZB
It's pretty much a waste of time doing anything else then that....

First thing out of their mouth is about their vehicle and how it is always YOUR fault.

I have been "HIT" five times, all my fault of course.
3 of the 5 times my car was not even moving.
(1 time it was parked, 1 time I was stopped at a traffic light, 1 time I was stopped in traffic)

The 4th time the other driver swears I hit him when he swerved into my lane.
The 5th time the other driver said I gave him permission to come in from the side street and he ran into the side of my car.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I was thinking one of the following would be safer....

24ccbpl.gif

But then I remembered about all the idiots here that shoot into the air!

D in Tampa/Santiago

Reactions: MikeFisher

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I drove here for 4 years and am driving here again for 1,5 years now, and in my opinion some people here overreact the danger. People (at least in SD) don't drive that bad, it's probably a lack of being capable to anticipate on dominican driving that makes some foreigners panic.

I am truly amazen at how less serious accidents happen in view of the state of the roads, sometimes dumb design of roads and crossroads, and amount cars. Most locals in my opinion actually DO know how to drive (probably not if they would drive in an organized country though).

holland1974

Aug 13, 2008
What did he smash the windscreen with? Not an easy thing to do unless he had a bat or a shovel, the shank of a gun wouldn't do it.

I've seen guns pulled a couple of times in traffic, once outside a school from a parent at hometime, idiot. Seems to just be a stand off willy waving, not many people would open up on someone for a traffic trouble. Remember guns are mainly only jewelery in the capital for your average employed guy, not a weapon to actually use.

A gun is more than enough to smash a windshield, Ive even done it with my fist in my younger wild often stupid days.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
No ten?an la culpa.

This isn't the 1st time i have heard of road rage and gun play related to it in D.R.

Tranquillo...
It happens everywhere.

[video=youtube;Jf6uMbI6KV0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf6uMbI6KV0[/video]

donP

l.faber

Sep 20, 2006
My only comment: the murder rate per 100,000 in the DR is 4 times that of the USA. Act on that statistic to protect your life.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
A gun is more than enough to smash a windshield, Ive even done it with my fist in my younger wild often stupid days.

Nonsense.
I offer my car as a test specimen.. It even has a locally made windscreen. You will not break it with a bare hand.

Silly person.